MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   problems filling gas tank? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/393212-problems-filling-gas-tank.html)

moosestang 01-13-2008 08:39 AM

problems filling gas tank?

The last two times I tried to fill up I could only get it to 3/4 of a tank before the pump would shut off. Last time I only got 5 gallons in it and it spilled some gas out the fill. I know I used more than 5 gallons of gas so I don't think my gauge is wrong. If the vent was clogged could that prevent me from filling the tank? I don't know how the gas tank vent operates, but I know you can't put gas in without air coming out right?

howarmat 01-13-2008 08:45 AM

RE: problems filling gas tank?

There is a TSB that suggests turning the pump like 90-180 degrees, it works from the feedback i have heard.....i only had the problem 1 time, no problems for 2 years maybe.

Here is somthing also

http://tinyurl.com/2lhdlp

GidyupGo 01-13-2008 08:50 AM

Try turning the pump HANDLE to the 2 o'clock position. It works for me. Last time I got gas, I forgot all about it and just hammered down on the pump lever and it fueled up fine.

Nuke 01-13-2008 09:05 AM

Very common with the S197's. Do a search.
Some pumps are more sensitive to the problem than others. Just turn the handle at various angles and be sure to pump as slow as possible. It's a pita but you'll get used to it...

jaslowyota 01-13-2008 09:05 AM

I have this same problem almost everytime I fill up, I have never tried turning the pump to 2oclock though. I usually just back off on the pump and fill the car up slower and it works just takes alot longer.

PEPS GT 2 01-13-2008 09:06 AM

I've actually never had any problems filling the car til this year ( 1 1\2 years later). I now just turn the handle to 3 o'clock and never have any issues anymore.

mygt500 01-13-2008 09:15 AM

Yeah in 1.5 yrs it has done it twice for me! Turn to 10 or 2 position and it should help. Pump pressure and size and layout of the downspout to the gas tank on our cars is a known TSB and if still under warranty they have a fix at Ford

moosestang 01-13-2008 09:23 AM

I don't believe it's the tsb because fuel actually came back out like it was full or did you guys have that happen as well?

I tried a different gas station the second time thinking it was the pump and that's when I kept clicking it till gas spilled out.

I could have very well clogged the vent tube since I live on a dirt road and it gets mud caked up under the car. If it would stop raining I could check it.

jaslowyota 01-13-2008 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I don't believe it's the tsb because fuel actually came back out like it was full or did you guys have that happen as well?

I tried a different gas station the second time thinking it was the pump and that's when I kept clicking it till gas spilled out.

I could have very well clogged the vent tube since I live on a dirt road and it gets mud caked up under the car. If it would stop raining I could check it.

I am not sure if mine is the TSB. I just know me and you Moose are having the exact same problem. Once or twice fuel has acctually spilled back out and alot of the time it just clicks. I feel ya with the rain it raned off and on all day yesterday here (Jacksonville) and I had some work I was wanting to do to the car, today is looking alot better here. Sorry to here about your wreck in the other topic.

Blackhawk 01-13-2008 10:23 AM

I was going to post something on this too... Pissed me right off the frist time I stopped to fill up with the new car, and I couldn't get more than 5 gal in the car before it would shut off every 20 cents!

Since I have switched gas stations, and I haven't had a problem since. But now that I know this, I will not be so freaked out to stop and fill up anywhere. Thanks!