Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen s/c with auto trans owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen s/c with auto trans owners...

I bought it from Underground Mustang.
Bought related parts from various vendors.
I installed it myself.
Tune is by JDM.
No problems so far
Trans is holding fine.
Upping to 10 psi soon.
May go back to stock converter, undecided.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
JimIII@JDM
1st Gear Member

Its got a passenger seat, want a ride sometime!!???[sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I bought it from Underground Mustang.
Bought related parts from various vendors.
I installed it myself.
Tune is by JDM.
No problems so far
Trans is holding fine.
Upping to 10 psi soon.
May go back to stock converter, undecided.
hey Rob why you thinking about going back to stock....Please let me know before I make a $1200 investment.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimIII@JDM

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

had mine installed on my 05 since April 07: no tranny issues yet on 8psi and numbers in signature. However will i replace the torque converter before the hot summer down here in Florida again. Most likley. no other issues to report. Walt at Real speed racing in Clearwater did install. Only issue I had after install was JDM's canned tune would not work with my car. Had it custom tuned by Justin at VMP. chose the saleen for the awesome deal I got on it 4k shipped and I do like from the factory look it has. no regrets and love every minute of it....good luck....OH yeah you cant go wrong with brenspeed. he has some great deals and his customer service is the best.

Yea im not sure what the problem was with your car, we have done hundreds of the automatic cars and never had any issues. I think we emailed the tune though if i remember and there was problem getting it loaded in the xcal2.

We have been racing our Automatic Saleen car for over 2 years. Its a full weight Street car and we have broken barriers with the automatic transmissions that others said would be impossible. To this I say this.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6_eUSTWoUw

1.31 60 foot
9.85 @ 136

Fastest Stock 5R55 Automatic Trans S197 Mustang in the WORLD!!!

JimIII
no doubt....even sent you my xcal II and we still had issues with the VSS code...definitely understand you tuned hudreds without issue....I was the one that it did not work....it only cost me the price of the tunes to realize that. no hard feelings, you cant please everyone: less than 1% dissatisfied customers is a stat most business can live with, heck even strive for. I dont want anyone to think any less of JDM's tunes.....again, I was just one customer of hundreds.... although you could have sent me something nice for compensation..for the tunes that did not work.... LOL....
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
gray07gt
1st Gear Member

i bought mine from breenspeed and got the basic saleen kit 435hp. i had the car dyno'd and my a/f was in the upper 12's so i am getting the stage 3 upgrade. this spring. the car made 343rwhp/369tq. i had it at the track 4 different times and i run the hell out of on the street and i have had no problems. i love the charger and the problem you will have is the same one i have more...more....more....POWER.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

So how quiet is the saleen? For a while I thought about getting the whipple b/c of the whine, but I got to thinking about it and I'm not sure I want much whine anymore. The reason is that with a lot of whine, it makes it harder for you and others around you to hear your exhaust very well. People when hearing your car will focus naturally on the high pitched sound of the s/c whine and almost ignore the deep exhaust note (not completely but you know what I mean).

So, I would rather me and everyone else to hear mostly all of my exhaust since it sounds so sweet and now I'm thinking I'd rather have very little to no whine. I know the KB supposedly has virtually no whine (unless you boost the living crap out of it probably) but the thing I don't like about it is where they put the air cleaner. It's not a big deal, just a nit-pick for me, but I don't like it on the passenger side of the car. I like it on the drivers side where the stock one is and where most others are. But again that's just a nit pick. KB makes a very nice s/c.

I really do like the saleen as it seems to be very efficient and deliver a lot of HP with low boost levels and if it's fairly quiet with not much whine, I may go saleen. I'm only looking at 5 to 6 psi so that way I'll have a lot more power than stock but at the same time not overdoing it and keeping things safe. I'm not looking to build the fastest race car EVAR, just something fast but streetable for a DD. I figure 5 to 6 psi should give me more HP than a stock cobra from 04 and earlier and that would please me more than good enough. This is assuming one of the brenspeed packages.

Now, if I can only find a place somewhat near me in Tx (Austin, San Antonio or even Houston for that matter) that is an authorized reseller to install one so saleen will backup my Ford warranty.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Whine isn't a factor at all to me. I mean it's cool but not a requirement. I like the looks and design of the saleen and they have a solid reputation.
I'm still not 100% if I'm going to stay with the stock pulley or pop for the 3.6, I do know that just for piece of mind I won't go with any more boost than that for the time being.
If I was closer to NJ, I'd consider you guys at JDM. That's not to say you won't be getting some business from me. You guys really seem to know your way around the 5R55. As it is, I'll be driving from TX to IN (ROAD TRIP! 1000+ miles). I'd be happy to do the install myself but I won't have the facilities to do it. Plus, It's a good excuse to "stretch it's legs" a bit after the install and to see the shop and put a face with the name.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Oh BTW, I read on another mustang forum site that one guy said two Ford dealers told him that the saleen does not void the warranty (I'm assuming they meant if THEY install it). So is that true, if the dealer installs it I'd get to keep the warranty? The bad thing is I bet the dealer (stealer) will charge me more for labor.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Navyscott - if you're roadtripping to IN, you know Brenspeed is in IN, and will do the install for $650, right? They advertise a "one day" install, but it's an ENTIRE day.. Like drop it off the night before, and then they'll have it done just before closing the the following day. Or so I'm told anyway (when I asked about it).

SirKnight - Do NOT believe the stealership. They aren't the one that has anything to say about the Saleen warranty. I actually called Saleen, and the only place you can have it installed and get their drivetrain warranty is at an authorized Saleen Speedlab facility. To my knowledge, that means Brenspeed, JDM, and Saleen in Irvine, CA and Saleen in Troy, MI. They may be one or two others, but that's all I know off the top of my head. Call them up, they'll give it to you straight.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Hmm interesting. I just read that Leif Johnson Ford (where my mom got her first Sport Trac) in Austin is the ONLY saleen authorized dealer in Austin according to austin.about.com. So I'm thinking that means I could get a saleen s/c installed over there and I could keep my warranty. I almost bought my GT from that dealer but went to Covert Ford in north Austin instead. If this is true, I'll be happy. I'll have to call these guys up to verify.

I think this is the same dealer a guy I work with (Matt) got his 06 Mustang V6. This dealer has their own body shop (my dealer does not) and is where Matt got his stripes put on (and had his rear spoiler painted black, he has a vista blue car like mine). I could also maybe take it to them to have my hood pins installed. That would be good. My dealer told me they wouldn't do it and would send my car to a body shop somewhere else in Austin (they probably meant this other dealer since they have a body shop).

Quick Reply: Saleen s/c with auto trans owners...