Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2008 Whipple HO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 2008 Whipple HO?

thanks jared for the additional info,
much appreciated

as a whipple owner, i can't wait
to see what's in the works.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

I was figuring it might be something like the KB HO with the higher internal compression in 2.3L configuration, or the 2.9L which has a higher internal compression anyway. Both of which I have no desire for, as I won't be running higher then 10 anyway.

The efficient design of the 2.3L W140ax actually doesn't need the high compression ratio to compete with others that have that feature. Testing has been done comparing the 2.3L Whipple against most other competitors blowers. All done on a blower dyno. The 140 is very stout and an impressive blower. Some may not believe me when I say this but I could back it up with flow charts if I really needed to. The 2.3L 140ax flows within 5% of the larger 2.6L. The next generation of 2.3L's outflows the 2.6L. Exactly how much I don't recall and won't say unless I have my facts straight.

Jared
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: TJ

I don't know I hope not we will have to see but now that youmention it thats rightWhipple I (think) does not have a HO blower for the S197 to run 15-23psi on a forged sb. The only way now is to run a Whipple 3.4 with a custom made intake I think.
The Whipple 2.3L W140 is the same compressor used on the 03-04 Cobra, 99-04 Lightning and many other kits. It's capable of running 25psi and still be pretty damn efficient. As an example on a 4V motor with bolt-ons at 19-20 psi you should see anywhere from the 600rwhp-620rwhp range. That's still not pushing the blower. I've got personal friends that run low 10's and even high 9's with that same blower.

The thing is with the 3V is that the pulley system is what limits how many RPM's you can get the blower to spin. It takes a 2.65" upper and an Innovators West 8" overdrive dampner to make about 19-20 psi on the 3V. If you want more than that you've got to redo a few things. Now I haven't seen what that boost level does on a 3V but I'm sure it's gonna take a built block to handle that. We do have a customer in Kuwait who just finished a build and will be running the same combo I just mentioned. So we'll soon see what 19-20 psi does on the 3V with a built block.

For many the 2.3L is more than enough. Like I mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread I don't know many people pushing these blowers on here yet. Not sure why not but hopefully we'll see a few cars step up soon. Come on guys!!!

Jared
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

I've PM'd Jared, and emailed whipple but I didn't get any response from either...............hush hush??
My apologies if I didn't get back with you. I'm still trying to recover from the holidays as well as business has been to say the least very busy. None the less your business means a lot to me.

In regards to the Whipple there are a few things in the works. Some of which I don't think I'll be able to speak of without Dustin's permission as I don't know if he wants that info out there right now. He's not only a business associate of mine but a personal friend so I will ask him and then let you guys know once I get the go ahead.

To be brief though I don't believe he's doing a 2.9L kit for the 3V. There will be some things done to the existing kit to enhance performance and efficiciency which will allow the 2.3L to compete with the 2.6L and other larger bore compressors. Be sure that if it's coming from Whipple it's going to be the best as their technology and design is of the highest standards. There is still no timeframe on when this is going to happen as well so for those that have just bought kits or are looking to purchase kits you will be fine. The current 2.3L is capable of way more than I've seen anyone on this forum push one.

I'll post more info when I can. Thanks, Jared

Thanks for that info that helps so now we know therewill be a new version of the 2.3Whipple (enhance performance & effciciency) on the record!

If you post any more info in the near future would be great!

I thought I read there was a 2.9 coming for the 03-04 Cobra awhile ago on another forumguess I misunderstood that thread my mistake.

I am pretty sure Dustin said in that thread in Dec 07 this new S/C would be out in another month or twoI'll go back and see if I can find it to see if I read correctly.

Jared is there any chance of having a group buy and give it a time frame of nowtillaround the time the new version will be released?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Jared is there any chance of having a group buy and give it a time frame of nowtillaround the time the new version will be released?
We just got done with a recent group buy so right now we're not going to do another one. When it's time and if there's enough interest I may put one together then. For the meantime we still offer very competitive pricing and the industry's highest level of customer service and support. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. Thanks, Jared

Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

I don't know I hope not we will have to see but now that youmention it thats rightWhipple I (think) does not have a HO blower for the S197 to run 15-23psi on a forged sb. The only way now is to run a Whipple 3.4 with a custom made intake I think.
The Whipple 2.3L W140 is the same compressor used on the 03-04 Cobra, 99-04 Lightning and many other kits. It's capable of running 25psi and still be pretty damn efficient. As an example on a 4V motor with bolt-ons at 19-20 psi you should see anywhere from the 600rwhp-620rwhp range. That's still not pushing the blower. I've got personal friends that run low 10's and even high 9's with that same blower.

The thing is with the 3V is that the pulley system is what limits how many RPM's you can get the blower to spin. It takes a 2.65" upper and an Innovators West 8" overdrive dampner to make about 19-20 psi on the 3V. If you want more than that you've got to redo a few things. Now I haven't seen what that boost level does on a 3V but I'm sure it's gonna take a built block to handle that. We do have a customer in Kuwait who just finished a build and will be running the same combo I just mentioned. So we'll soon see what 19-20 psi does on the 3V with a built block.

For many the 2.3L is more than enough. Like I mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread I don't know many people pushing these blowers on here yet. Not sure why not but hopefully we'll see a few cars step up soon. Come on guys!!!

Jared
One of reasons I get this impression that 2.3L might not be enough at high psi on a built 3v motor is due to one guy going to a Whipple 3.4L with a custom intake. If the 2.3L was fine I am thinking why go to the 3.4L?

For stock yea I agree the 2.3L is a great system even forged (Diamond TB & new intake)if your lookingtomakearound 560-600rwhp (forged) and be capable of mid10's which is very decent,but if you want to go faster with a 3V and make more rwhp&rwtqyour going to need a bigger blower hence 3.4L is my understanding.

The above is just my opinion and is the impression I am under.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Well, this confirms that there is some changes to be made, so I will hold off on buying now. Thanks for all the info Jared. I look forward to seeing all the details when Whipple releases the "improvements".
Old 01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

The reason I got this impression that 2.3L might not be enough at high psi on a built motor is due to one guy going to a Whipple 3.4L with a custom intake. If the 2.3L was fine I am thinking why go to the 3.4L?

For stock yea I agree the 2.3L is a great system even forged (Diamond TB & new intake)if your looking for only around 560-600rwhp and be capable of mid10's but if you want to go faster with a 3V more rwhpyour going to need a bigger blower hence 3.4L.

I agree.. If you want more you need bigger. However there's not that many 3V guys pushing the limits like that. I know of a few but the majority are still only running 10-16psi and the 16psi guys we rarely even see or hear about. That's also not even scratching the surface of the 2.3L's efficiency range.

There's always going to be someout out there that wants more. I'm one of them. I was the 2nd person in the country to put a 3.4L on my 03 Cobra even before Whipple had a kit available. I had a custom plenum and discharge plate made specifically for my car. So I totally understand where you're coming from. The question I guess you have to ask yourself is what your goals are. If you're serious about racing and want to step up and set new records you'll obviously need the bigger blower/turbo setup. What comes with that is for the most part a car that's not very streetable and runs on race fuel.

Or do you just want a sick street car that runs on pump gas and makes some sick power without dealing with all the things that come along with a race car. Granted this can be done with the larger 3.4L at lower boost levels but then again it's easily done with the already produced 2.3L

I guess it's just a personal decision. Good topic bro. Jared
Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Wasn't that person running the kennebell and trying to adapt the whipple 3.4 to the KB intake manifold? If so then why bother trying to adapt a 2.3 to the KB manifold when you can use the 3.4.

One of reasons I get this impression that 2.3L might not be enough at high psi on a built 3v motor is due to one guy going to a Whipple 3.4L with a custom intake. If the 2.3L was fine I am thinking why go to the 3.4L?

For stock yea I agree the 2.3L is a great system even forged (Diamond TB & new intake)if your lookingtomakearound 560-600rwhp (forged) and be capable of mid10's which is very decent,but if you want to go faster with a 3V and make more rwhp&rwtqyour going to need a bigger blower hence 3.4L is my understanding.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Wasn't that person running the kennebell and trying to adapt the whipple 3.4 to the KB intake manifold? If so then why bother trying to adapt a 2.3 to the KB manifold when you can use the 3.4.

Ok you know I think you might be right but if was running the KB 2.6L which is even bigger than a Whipple 2.3L and he wanted to producebig power so he went to a3.4L. Which indcates he felt the 2.6L wasn't big enoughwhich wouldsay the same about the Whipple 2.3Lper my point.

Quick couple questionsif anyone knows are there two going with a 3.4L on a S197?
The reason I ask is I know I read it at the other forum M-odular and also someone here is going to a 3.4L is this the same person?