Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil Separator - Attn: MODADDICT

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM
memphis90

Default RE: Oil Separator - Attn: MODADDICT

ORIGINAL: ebr

If you wanted to vent to atmosphere with k&n pvc filters on bothsides would there be any issues besides cleaning filters and maybe your valve covers from time to time .
Not a good way to go. Vacuum in the crankcase is a good thing.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
memphis90

An FYI on the less expensive setups. I am currently running one of them, and yes they trap some of the oil vapor, but only a portion of it. A while back I changed the hoses on mine. When I removed the hose between the separator and the intake, oil came running out of it. I'm going to upgrade to a Stef's or Moroso unit.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Why, I always thought the pvc setup was more of an emissions setup and not a performance issue .
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM
memphis90

Crankcase vacuum = more horsepower.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Would you recommend the stefs?
I like the stefs and it does the job okay but regardless if you use the stefs or morosso can, the real important factor is the lines and fittings. The can isn't much good if the lines are trapping at all.

Here is S197 PCV 101:

Follow this closed loop PCV system in your mind. Our cars draw air IN to the passenger side cam cover. This air comes from the intake tube AFTER it has passed through the MAF sensor so it has been cleaned by the air filter and metered by the MAF meter. This air circulates through the motor and is sucked OUT of the drivers side cam cover and into the the intake manifold BEHIND the throttle body. This suction draws oil vapor with it from the crankcase and this oil will contaminate the Air/Fuel mixture, create burnt oil deposits on your pistons and valves, and put a nasty coating on your supercharger intercooler if you have one. Not to mention shortening the life of your $90.00 spark plugs and gunking up your throttle body not to mention other more sinister long term possibilities.

So, you put an Air/Oil separator in the line that runs from the Drivers side cam cover to the intake manifold.
Spend the money and do it correctly! Don't skimp and get the thimble sized glass one (like the junk steeda one posted in the thread) because it will fill too quickly and become a maintenance issue. Don't try to save money and get a "catch can" (like the SHM 2V one ham asked about in this thread) because it is cheaper. It will require modification to work properly. Get a good Air/Oil separator and plumb it properly.

Now you don't have to use this parts list and some complete kits like the stefs are good units. But if you want the ***** best, here's the recipe...

#5123 Stef's -12an air/oil separator 98.00
Shipping and Handling 14.00

Summit Racing:
MOR-63401 3" can bracket 6.95
SPE-3260 5/8" clamps (qty-2) 13.90
EAR-403010ERL 3ft -10 Perform-O-Flex hose 32.39
EAR-9892120ERL Female -12 to Male -10 reducer (qty-2) 33.50
EAR-812010ERL -10 120* swivel-seal hose end 25.95
EAR-800110ERL -10 straight swivel-seal hose end 10.95
Shipping and Handling 10.95

Total $246.59

So you're not recommending this $20.00 setup? https://mustangforums.com/m_4394665/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM
marGTM06

I have the AMW ( http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp ).
Is easy to install/clean/etc.

> i like the fact that the oil just drains back into the engine....
Seems to me that is not a good idea. You don't want that stuff
back in your engine.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Hmm crap, I was just going to ask about venting the valve covers too because I thought that might be better.

Thanks modaddict for the breakdown of the PCV system. So from your description you dont have to do anything to the passenger side because that air is coming out of the intake and into the valve cover so you wont get oil going the other way. That makes sense because when I pull my intake my TB blades are super clean not a drop of oil or anything anywhere.

It what I said above is true than Hammeron you and I need to order the Stefs Catch can with the 10AN NPT fittings in and out. This is 5/8's so we can get 10AN to a barb fitting and then run 5/8's hose between the stock connectors on both sides of the can. That is my plan if it is approved by MODADDICT of course .

Moose thanks for the input on that hose. It was recommended in another forum and I had planned on using it. I guess I will use the same one MODADDICT recommends.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey guru, i'm gonna go with the addict's
recommendation also.

gonna order up the stef's can today with -10AN
fittings.

thanks again modaddict for your input, always
appreciated

Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Have fun

I will probably wait until after my install and scope out better where I want to mount things and such. Take some pics after install, maybe I will get a few idea's.

So are you doing anything on the passenger side or leaving it alone.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey guru, i'm gonna go with the addict's
recommendation also.

gonna order up the stef's can today with -10AN
fittings.

thanks again modaddict for your input, always
appreciated

No problem. Listen, I know it's a PIA, but trust me, go ahead and break down your blower as your doing the install. Clean all that gunk under manifold - believe me - it will be there. You haven't had your blower that long so it shouldn't be too bad, but you might as well start your oil seperator on a clean slate, ya know?

This is not just a good mod to do Ham, but just plain dumb IMO not to - good decision bro.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Now when you guys get done with this - we can talk about the next cheap mod that SHOULD be on all your cars...lol

(larger intercooler resevoir...)

Quick Reply: Oil Separator - Attn: MODADDICT