Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I wish I bought a manny

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I wish I bought a manny

ORIGINAL: Heavyg72

I originally set out for a 5sp and found the exact car I wanted with exception of the 5sp. It was a vert, Tungsten, loaded, GT an everything but the 5sp. I live outside DC and Baltimore so traffic can be a real pain so I test drove an auto and really liked it. I don't regret it at all as with CAI/Tunes and superchargers the auto can be blast to drive. Chirping 1-2 and 2-3 shift in an auto is pretty awesome and if you do hit the tracks it is very consistent.

Thief_of_Hearts - when is the new GT coming?

was planning in January but decided to go with April instead because of both winter and being better on the bank account

can hardly wait..going in to look at some GTs when my moms car is ready to be picked up next Wednesday for warranty work (08 edge,heater issues) I think the only way I will get it is if I can
haggle in some free snow tires lol..which I HIGHLY doubt[:-]
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: slice66

I got the auto because I thought it had the same HP as the manual and at the time I felt like shifting would get old. Ive got a 5 sp truck and Ive had manual this and manualthat, now I realizea mustang never gets old to shift itonly gets more fun.Im gonna keep her(my auto)had it since 50 miles 2500 now so let the mods begin-blower for sure on down the road.
the only reason why I really want a 5 speed is because obviously with a manual you can hold
gears longer and more power get's to the ground but if a tune can do it for an auto and make it just as quick then shiet...goodbye shifting lol.

In the end,I just want raw,simple brute power with little finesse and fuss..just a big honkin',V8,RWD, a blower and an automatic..just mash on the gas and off you go!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

you shouldn't have any trouble with a cai/tune package at the dealership, if you are really worried go talk to your service manager in person during an oil chaing, tell him you want to go get a cai/tune package from so-and-so (bama/brenspeed are top picks here) and you want to know if he will still honor your warranty. I have not personally seen a dyno on a K&N vs a C&L or JLT, but i hear the regular K&N is around 10hp gain where as brent reports around a 30hp gain from teh JLT2 + tune.. (that puts you in the neighborhood of 300rwhp)

and +1 on the supercharge ftw. I like my auto for my daily driver... I also like not worrying about screwing up shifting...racing friends 1 of them actually forgot to shift he got so excited about the race.. and he isn't new to shifting at all... missed gears, less than perfect shifts means only a perfect run will net you .02 from what i hear with a manual.. and hp doesn't change for auto/manny from what i had heard..
Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri
and hp doesn't change for auto/manny from what i had heard..
It does...the autos start with about 5% less rwhp
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

let's not forget bent shift forks,blown sycnros and busted shift selectors[:'(][:'(][:'(]!
sure it's still cheaper then to replace then an entire gear or tranny but they sure are a pain in the butt to have fixed...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil 5tang

not too much over 3k and thatsfor everything in my sig.. I dunno my exact hp but i can tell you its at least 300
If your not going the blown route, then get all the bolts ons that you can. Ive got a half a dozen or so bolt ons and according to Brenspeeds dyno, Im still short of 300wrhp. [:-]
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7STANG

ORIGINAL: DROCKOFTX

ORIGINAL: 7STANG

How about a 125 shot of nitrous. You should run pretty well against him with that for well under a $1000.[8D]

That's what I did. My neighbor has a new 6.0L GTO and I handed his *** to him with the mods in my sig. It cost a little over $1500 but with just the nitrous kit you will probably win.
I know what you are talking about - I ran DownriverT(05 GT)on a little high end run on the e-way and he pulled car lengths on me like a muthter f'er and at the time he was only running a 75 shot! I definately need the silly gas. Nice sig by the way - have you been to the track yet?

Not yet. I went when I first installed the nitrous kit and was squeezing a 75 shot before the gears and exhaust. I could only manage an 8.1 in the 1/8th. I'm hopeing next time I go with my current mods I will break into the 7's.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
The problem lies that the tune being a more aggresive approach to timing and other things, they probably CAN prove that it causes internal damage if you have damage. Ford has more money for lawyers than we do. I think he was talking about the CAI alone adding 1-2 HP.

Yes, that's correct. I was talking about the CAI alone. I should have been more clear.

Your other point is correct too, they will come up with "proof" even if it's crap.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slice66

warranty-shmorranty, I think even if you dont do any mods they will still try to fiind some bs reason not to cover it like "excessive wear and tear" or some thinglame like that, thats why Im gonna ciatune , change exhust , and what ever else I can afford- who wants to drive a stock GT. I say turn it in to the machine it was made to be.

They do tend to like comming up with bs reasons for not doing warranty. I was given a bs reason for not covering my TSB fuel pump problem under warranty. They wanted to charge me over $400! This is why I cancelled my extended warranty. But, I still like to keep my factory warranty working for as long as possible just in case. Even though I know it can be hard to get the dealer to actually use it. Although some dealers are better than others.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

you shouldn't have any trouble with a cai/tune package at the dealership, if you are really worried go talk to your service manager in person during an oil chaing, tell him you want to go get a cai/tune package from so-and-so (bama/brenspeed are top picks here) and you want to know if he will still honor your warranty. I have not personally seen a dyno on a K&amp;N vs a C&amp;L or JLT, but i hear the regular K&amp;N is around 10hp gain where as brent reports around a 30hp gain from teh JLT2 + tune.. (that puts you in the neighborhood of 300rwhp)

and +1 on the supercharge ftw. I like my auto for my daily driver... I also like not worrying about screwing up shifting...racing friends 1 of them actually forgot to shift he got so excited about the race.. and he isn't new to shifting at all... missed gears, less than perfect shifts means only a perfect run will net you .02 from what i hear with a manual.. and hp doesn't change for auto/manny from what i had heard..

I don't know if you mean the K&amp;N CAI or the K&amp;N stock replacement filter. The K&amp;N CAI gives 15 rwhp gain.

Quick Reply: I wish I bought a manny