Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Question for those running Turbos

Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default A Question for those running Turbos

As stated above, I have a question.

How are you guys hooking up the crankcase ventilation (pcv side)and the vacuum line for the brake booster.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A Question for those running Turbos

I can't speak for the brake booster portion but I can comment on the PCV valve.

My kit (STS) has two phases: An inline filter and a shut off swich that closes the line under boost. Since the air intake is pressurized where the PCV comes in, it would cause boost to enter the top of the cam cover and then go the wrong way through the engine.It shutscloses the line @1 psi and turns back on when under vaccuum.

I haven't really paid attention to the brake booster portion but I can see a "T" fitting put in there that runs to the boost controler.

I didn't know what the hell the entire contraption was until I read the instruction manual and it made sense.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

My kit (STS) has two phases: An inline filter and a shut off swich that closes the line under boost. Since the air intake is pressurized where the PCV comes in, it would cause boost to enter the top of the cam cover and then go the wrong way through the engine.It shutscloses the line @1 psi and turns back on when under vaccuum.

Wouldn't that cause you to blow seals if you are running a lot of boost? I read someone was having problems with their oil seals leaking over 15psi (supercharger). The pcv system couldn't evacuate the blow by fast enough so pressure would build in the block. The solution was to delete the pcv system all together.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

I haven't really paid attention to the brake booster portion but I can see a "T" fitting put in there that runs to the boost controler.

I didn't know what the hell the entire contraption was until I read the instruction manual and it made sense.

Thanks for the input.

Now, your setup seems logical until we get to the part where as boost and HP ramp up. How is pressure relieved from the crankcase at WOT. Its gotta go somewhere.

S/C dont have this problem because vacuum is available at the S/C intake after the throttle body. But when they do go to WOT excessive pressure can build up in the crankcase, possibly forcing the pcv to open or for the pressure to escape through the passenger side crankcase intake tube and back into the intake. Or out through the weakest point of the motor.

The reason I'm getting so wrapped up in this is looking at a turbo install the MAFS is after the intercooler. So under low load conditions when vacuum is available oil vapors could be sent into the MAF body.

It the pcv line is installed betweem the air filter and the turbo oil vapor will collect inside the tubo and into the piping.

I need to have a clear picture of how this is all hooked up so that the car will pass emissions inspection. In Missouri we have a mechanical inspection and an emissions inspection. (plug into the PCM)

Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Topics like this one make me realize how little I really know about cars. I neither understand the question nor the responses.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

my pcv is between the air filter and the turbo. I got no oil build up after 5k miles.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redxls

my pcv is between the air filter and the turbo. I got no oil build up after 5k miles.
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I was also thinking of this location and was considering installing a Stefs air/oil seperator between the pcv and the point where the line plugs in between the air filter and the turbo.

My car is a daily drive and has only seen the track once. Had to test it.
But for guys that take their cars to the track on a regular basis it would seem to me that at WOT excessive pressure could build up in the crankcase and must be relieved somehow.

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Wouldn't that cause you to blow seals if you are running a lot of boost? I read someone was having problems with their oil seals leaking over 15psi (supercharger). The pcv system couldn't evacuate the blow by fast enough so pressure would build in the block. The solution was to delete the pcv system all together.
Moose, I have no idea. When I first looked at it I din't know what it was as it looked different than the guys with the catch can version.

I don't know enough about thePCV system to really answer this with any sophistication.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

Thanks for the input.

Now, your setup seems logical until we get to the part where as boost and HP ramp up. How is pressure relieved from the crankcase at WOT. Its gotta go somewhere.

S/C dont have this problem because vacuum is available at the S/C intake after the throttle body. But when they do go to WOT excessive pressure can build up in the crankcase, possibly forcing the pcv to open or for the pressure to escape through the passenger side crankcase intake tube and back into the intake. Or out through the weakest point of the motor.

The reason I'm getting so wrapped up in this is looking at a turbo install the MAFS is after the intercooler. So under low load conditions when vacuum is available oil vapors could be sent into the MAF body.

It the pcv line is installed betweem the air filter and the turbo oil vapor will collect inside the tubo and into the piping.

I need to have a clear picture of how this is all hooked up so that the car will pass emissions inspection. In Missouri we have a mechanical inspection and an emissions inspection. (plug into the PCM)

Thanks again.

In all possibility, I have no damn idea what I'm talking about. However, it may just change it to aone way line instead of two way. With the stock type configuration it's just an open line between the PCV and the intake. Maybe the way this one is it changes it to only work one way.

This is hurting my head now. All I know is I can drive my car as hard as I want and nothing bad happens except me spending more $$ on fuel. And tires eventually
Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, my PCV comes in between the MAF and the throttle body so I'm not concerned with the MAF getting dirty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Question for those running Turbos