Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Jury has returned a verdict......

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:56 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default The Jury has returned a verdict......

Ok, so I posted this morning from the hotel room.. Now, I'm posting from my living room.

I got back local just after 1 AM, after having left Brenspeed at ~6:45 PM or so (well, leaving the gas station at the corner of 13 and 30 anyway).

Check this out:

Brent picks me up in a Mustang (of course - but, I don't remember the year). It has a Saleen 475 kit, a Brenspeed tune, and some custom grind cams that I probably shouldn't go into detail on (not that I really know any, but they're still prototype, so I'll let Brent break the news when he's ready). He springs for lunch at Applebees. This guy is great! Then, we go back to the shop, and Dave already has everything damn near buttoned up and is working on the boost gauge! WTF? Here I wanted some pics of the valley, the intake ports on the heads, etc.. Oh well. He made good time on the install, who am I to complain? The front end is even all back on and done!

So the water pump pulley is installed, the hood struts are installed, and all that stuff I mention before. I look in the engine compartment, and I am astonished to see that my stock inlet tube is back on between the Steeda 90mm MAF and the TB. WTF? Turns out the Steeda one I had on there won't fit under the hood.. [:@] Well, the factory one looks like someone trying to drink a keg of beer through a straw, that just won't do. So I added a Saleen Extreme inlet tube. There goes another $110. I'm wandering around the shop, and I'm looking my car over, and of course, now I have a blower, everyone is going to want to SEE the damn thing.. That means I'm going to have to open my hood at car shows now.. Great, more stuff to clean! [:@] I notice how rusty the strut bolts are.. So I go searching for some billet stuff, and while I don't find strut cover cap things, I do find a whole set of Billet filler cap covers. Brent says he has a set that's been opened and installed on a car (for pictures), so I pick those up at a nice discount. Great.. Now I have EVERY cap billet except the filler resevoir for the blower.. Hrmm.... Dave happens to notice it's the same as the radiator cap. Go talk to Brent, there goes another $38 flying out of my wallet -- err, my credit card.

Ok, so the car's all finished up, Brent gives Dave the tuner, and Dave loads it up and fires her up. VROOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!! Then purrs like the kitten sitting on the couch next to me. We pull it out of the garage, and then -- I hop in the passenger seat, and we take it for a test drive ------ TO THE CAR WASH!! One of those little self-wash pressure-sprayer deals. Not only does Dave whip out the $$ to pay for the wash, but he actually WASHED MY CAR!! I'm like "Whoa...". Even sprayed the salt off the undercarriage for me. We didn't get on it at all, but you could just tell there was power to be had.. Little did I know........

Back to the shop we go for my photo op.. Well, Brent had left the Mustang he picked me up in parked out front. Dave goes in to get the keys. While he's in there, I'm admiring the pretty 4" chrome exhaust tips.. I think you guys know where this is going already.. So he fires it up, and I'm like "Whoa..." I hadn't heard it from outside. He moves it, gives it a little gas, and kills it. He hops out, and Brent comes out with his camera. "What exhaust is that?" "SLP Powerflow." "Sounds great!" "All stainless, American made, none of that cheap Chinese crap...."

So we go inside, and of course, now we can add that $400-some-odd dollars on my credit card, too. I got a bit of a break on it because I was there and they wouldn't have to pay for shipping, so I'm happy.

Now it's time for the DYNO.... Brent likes to take underhood shots just before dyno, but my engine compartment is FILTHY. So, of course, Dave detailed it! Are you kidding me?? This guy is amazing! Install my blower, wash my car, detail my engine compartment...

So, at the end of the day, my "Free hotel room and discounted installation due to shipping damage/hassle" ended up costing me like $1630.. But the car got a LOT of great parts, and yes, whoever said something in the other post, I did just about crap my pants the first time I got on it in 3rd @ about 45 MPH and ended up at 100 before I even knew what happened.. I was so busy listening to the supercharger howling (BTW - Saleens are quiet? HORSE ****!!) that I wasn't even paying attention to the speedo..

Notice how I skipped over that whole dyno part? Save the best for last.

I about crapped my pants when Brent dyno'd it.. It's all loaded up on the dyno, strapped down, and Brent starts it up. The hood is open. I have my back to the car, screwing around with my dSLR, switching lenses or some crap to get a good shot of whatever it was I was thinking about. All of a sudden I hear my car start to wind up.. I'm like "Ok, he doing the first pull".. Then, all of a sudden, I just hear this HOWL, this almost primal scream.. I about jumped out of my shoes. I turn around (Actually, I probably just landed facing the other way), and I realize that the pull is over, and it was my blower screaming like that. "Saleen? Quiet? My ***!" I'm thinking to myself..

The first pull was with Brent's 93 race tune. It did 432hp and like 421ft/lb. I'm like WOW! On a 3.6"? "How much boost did she make?" "7 psi" Whoa...

Brent changes to the 93 street tune.. It's a little richer, and I had him lower the rev limiter for me on it just a little (6500 instead of 6850). Pull number two? 434.98hp and 417ft/lb.

By pull number three things had started heating up under the hood and it did like 429hp and I forget the torque.

434 (could almost call it 435) horsepower at 7psi!! w00t!!! I am STOKED!!

BTW - Moose - I talked to Brent about your dyno pull briefly, and he said that you should NOT run slicks or DR's on a dyno. Tire slip is near impossible anyway with the way the drum is knurled. I inquired further, and he said they are too sticky, and actually grab the drum on the way OFF of it, thereby slowing it down. I didn't believe him, so we talked to Dave. Brent and Dave had a customer in the shop (I forget the setup - I think it was a turbo car). The guy came in with DR's on for a dyno. 460 HP. They said "That sounds low".. So they pulled it again. Same #'s. Then Brent said "Jack it up and put radials on it". They did, and 500 HP came out. Jacked it back up, put DR's back on, back down to 460.

Go figure. But Brent agreed that 402 for a Whipple @ 10psi is a bit low. He said he sells Whipple tunes, too, if you're interested..

My a/f was also damn near perfect. To quote Dave "Man, look at that! You could almost balance a marble on it!!"

Check out all the pics here: http://mustang.dnsalias.com/personal...?dir=brenspeed

Enjoy!!

PS - sorry for the long-winded post, but as you can see, I'm STILL quite excited, 450 STRAIGHT miles later!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: The Jury has returned a verdict......

Normally when I see a post that long, I skip it...but dear god do you have me excited for my Saleen blower . Congratulations Exx and thanks again for the write up. I really get tired of defending the hidden power of the Saleen blower but now I dont have to. Look at those numbers baby! Very nice Exx!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Thanks Mickey.. "Hidden" power? The only thing hidden on my car is how much money I have tied up in it, and I haven't even owned it a year yet!! LOL The blower only stays hidden (to people outside the car) until maybe 3000-3500.. Then it starts to howl, real low, almost a growling noise, and by the time you're up around 5k, it's just WAILING away in there.. Sounds absolutely amazing!

Oh yeah.. And the car actually PULLS now in 5th gear! I'm on the highway, cruise control set @ like 78 or something.. With the stock 3.55's that puts me somewhere in the neighborhood of like 24-2500 RPM. I give it some gas, and instead of this tired little groan and it tries to do something, the next thing I know I'm at 110 and I'm like "WTF?"

Doing the speed limit in this thing is going to be a challenge, I can see already.

Oh yeah - one more thing - first gear is USELESS with factory rubber........
Old 01-19-2008, 04:42 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

What I meant be "hidden power" is that a lot of people think the Saleen blower is weak...its NOT!! That is great news Exx...take me for a ride?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Mickey, the next time you're in Buffalo, you got it.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

That is the opposite corner of the country!!! I am screwed [&:]haha
Old 01-19-2008, 05:18 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I looked at all the pics and damn your car was dirty. It looks great now and the S/C is awesome. The numbers from the dyno are great as well esp for 7 psi. I am running almost 11 and put down 465 RWHP. Dont you love the pull in 4th and fifth.....its like running a totally different car and I downshift less now as well! Congrats and you are excited like a teenager that got laid for his first time...LOL Oh and what speed limit....[8D]? Just be careful and you will learn to feather the pedal so youdont spin off the line and in the first 3 gears (you might have better traction than my fat 20's though! Congrats J

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Thanks Mickey.. "Hidden" power? The only thing hidden on my car is how much money I have tied up in it, and I haven't even owned it a year yet!! LOL The blower only stays hidden (to people outside the car) until maybe 3000-3500.. Then it starts to howl, real low, almost a growling noise, and by the time you're up around 5k, it's just WAILING away in there.. Sounds absolutely amazing!

Oh yeah.. And the car actually PULLS now in 5th gear! I'm on the highway, cruise control set @ like 78 or something.. With the stock 3.55's that puts me somewhere in the neighborhood of like 24-2500 RPM. I give it some gas, and instead of this tired little groan and it tries to do something, the next thing I know I'm at 110 and I'm like "WTF?"

Doing the speed limit in this thing is going to be a challenge, I can see already.

Oh yeah - one more thing - first gear is USELESS with factory rubber........
Old 01-19-2008, 05:58 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

what pictures are you referring to J?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

[sm=smiley20.gif]Wow those numbers are great what kit did you go with stage 1 or stage 2.Congrats and welcome to the Saleen club. All of us that has been there at Brenspeed knew you would be blown away with how good they are. I made the trip last July 10 hours one way and loved every min. of it. Soon Saleen s/c mustangs by Brenspeed will rule the streets !!!!! [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Click on the link in the op's post! I thought you said you read the whole thing? (hint it is near the bottom of post number 1)
ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

what pictures are you referring to J?

Quick Reply: The Jury has returned a verdict......