Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Question for those running Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:42 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A Question for those running Turbos

ORIGINAL: Simon1

I can't speak for the brake booster portion but I can comment on the PCV valve.

My kit (STS) has two phases: An inline filter and a shut off swich that closes the line under boost. Since the air intake is pressurized where the PCV comes in, it would cause boost to enter the top of the cam cover and then go the wrong way through the engine.It shutscloses the line @1 psi and turns back on when under vaccuum.

I haven't really paid attention to the brake booster portion but I can see a "T" fitting put in there that runs to the boost controler.

I didn't know what the hell the entire contraption was until I read the instruction manual and it made sense.
Okay, cool. I have the picture.

The pcv hose is hooked up as from the factory, with the exception of a pressure accuatedvalve installedthat closes off that line when the switch sensor detects a positive pressure of 1psi.

The passenger side hose runs to a nipple located between the air filter and the turbo.

Seems logical. Even if excessive pressure should build up at WOT (little to no vacuum)the air will exit the passenger side outlet and and be turbonated. (new word)

It may be a good idea to install an air/oil seperator inline with the passenger side hose as a safe guard to prevent dirty air from enetering the turbo and ultimately the intercooler which would decrease its efficiency. The cheap POS that Steeda sells should be good enough for that.

Would you happen to know the model number of the STS pressure/valve switch setup or the manufacturer.

The brake booster vacuum line would have to have a simular
a simular setup (pressure switch) but could stay tied in as factory.

Man, I'm glad we had this littletalk today. I was puzzled.

Oh yeah. A pcv valve is a check valve, air is allowed to travel in one direction, from the pcv to the intake. But I do not know how much pressure the pcv could take at WOTbefore it failed.

It appears STS gave thought to the whole picture. If I get a turbo I'll go with them, I like the remote location. I already have enough heat under the hood.

Thanks. Have a good day.