Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

got the stang dyno'd today!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

Default RE: got the stang dyno'd today!!!!!!

its the ford tune and its a 5-speed
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

No offense to the OP, but is it because the whipple is not intercooled that the power is low?

While I would love to have another 60whp, it seems like 5K is a little stiff. Like exx176 says for a little over 6K you could have435whp and be at a safe 6.5lbs of boost.

Maybe a new tune would wake the blower up and give you another 30whp.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it's a 400bhp kit to start with and he's running
a conservative whipple/FRPP tune.

this same (6psi) kit, made 400rwhp on a test vehicle, with a
customVMP dyno tune.

the OP has laid a foundation, on which he can build
upon, at his leisure

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

There is another guy on here with the non intercooled whipple putting out 400 rwhp with a few other mods including long tubes and a custom tune.

With a non-intercooled kit you cant get too crazy with timing or anything but it is a nice gain. If you want more get the Whipple HO.

Plus I hate to harp on this all the time but.... DYNO NUMBERS ARE WORTHLESS..........

The only real indicator of power that we can see without removing the engine from the car is your Trap Speed in the 1/4 miles. Dyno's lie.

They are good for 2 things, Tuning, and comparison. If you dyno a car on the same day on the same dyno and change one thing imbetween you can see the RELATIVE affect. This should be relayed as a percentage of improvement and not 25 hp as an example. Because I could go to a different dyno and get a different result.

Sorry its a pet peeve of mine.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I will agree to the variability of dyno numbers.

But trap speed is driver dependent, takes longer, and you can't tune by it. You need dyno to get relative numbers, yes they are not absolute but they are useful.

If a 35whp change can be done with a new tune, then that is promising.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Actually your trap speed should be pretty consistent regardless of ET.

IE it is very easy to run a 12.5 at 118mph.

Now the 12.5 is saying that you arent hooking up at all, but the 118mph is showing that you are putting out some hp to get that trap speed.

If you find hp calculators a trap of 118mph should show you are making 460rwhp for a weight of 3800 pounds (numbers are guestimates)

I am using this data because Moosestang dyno'd at 403 rwhp but his trapspeed of 118mph shows he has to be making more power than that given he wieght of his vehicle.

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

i just got it dyno'd because in the near future i'm getting the intercooled kit and putting 4:10 or 3:73's in
and i just wanted to see where i was at horsepower-wise with this kit
when i get the intercooled kit i want to get it dyno'd again to see what my horsepower difference is.
i posted my numbers just for those who were wondering what power gains you can get with this kit and an axle back (which doesn't do much) with the ford tune
Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Fade,

Sorry didnt want to sound like I was coming down on you for posting #'s. They are fine for discussion but sometimes people get real caught up in them. I just try to make it known that the proof is in the SOTP.

Congrats on the upgrade. I am sure you will notice a huge difference.

I might suggest to wait on the gears untill after the install to see if you need them.

With the low rpm torque of the whipple you wont hook in 1rst or 2nd for sure and maybe third depending on your tire.

My personal feeling is that for turbo's or centi's alot of gear is good to get them in the power band but for a T/S I think it just makes tractions problems worse.

Talk to Moose, he has 4.10's and the whipple.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

I will agree to the variability of dyno numbers.

But trap speed is driver dependent, takes longer, and you can't tune by it. You need dyno to get relative numbers, yes they are not absolute but they are useful.

If a 35whp change can be done with a new tune, then that is promising.

Trap speed is not driver dependant, unless your an idiot. It is weather/altitude dependant though.

I'll put my 400rwhp car up against anyones 435rwhp car anytime for money. Bring it!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Actually your trap speed should be pretty consistent regardless of ET.

IE it is very easy to run a 12.5 at 118mph.

Now the 12.5 is saying that you arent hooking up at all, but the 118mph is showing that you are putting out some hp to get that trap speed.

If you find hp calculators a trap of 118mph should show you are making 460rwhp for a weight of 3800 pounds (numbers are guestimates)

I am using this data because Moosestang dyno'd at 403 rwhp but his trapspeed of 118mph shows he has to be making more power than that given he wieght of his vehicle.

Thanks,
I'd like to harp a bit more on the trap speed thing with two examples that show trap speed is not driver dependant. These were not back to back runs, but on the same night. The first I launched at idle, the second i tried to rev it to 3500 or so and spun most of first and short shifted (that's right, shifted way early) to second to gain traction.

Please note the 2.3 vs. 2.0 60ft times and 4/10th difference in ET, but the trap speeds are only off by .02 mph. I estimate my cars weight to be 3750. 3500+100(blower)+150(me). Nothing was removed from the car.

Quick Reply: got the stang dyno'd today!!!!!!