Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cheapest CAI + Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Default Cheapest CAI + Tuner

Hey guys...I'm looking to buy a CAI + Tuner kit and I was wondering what the most inexpensive, but still effective kit anyone on here has ever purchased and installed. Also, how difficult is it to install something like this?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheapest CAI + Tuner

You have a nice car. Don't ruin it getting the cheapest intake. The generic, very low cost ones like on ebay which require no tuning simply just don't work. I purchased a used jlt2 intake and a used sct xcal 2 tuner for a good price. The jlt intake is one of the two most used intakes and is the cheaper of the two. It gets the job done. And most of the gains and work is based in the custom tune. Brenspeed, bama are good choices. Probably looking at $555 for a new jlt2, sct xcal tuner, and that comes with three custom tunes for your car.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

^^^ what he said
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/airkittuner.html
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

GIGANTIC +2 (On not worrying about the 'cheapest')

'Cheap' and 'Power' usually don't play well together...
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: DJStile

Also, how difficult is it to install something like this?

Thanks!
I have the Steeda CAI and SCT tune from Brenspeed. I assembled and installed the intake, just followed instructions and used common tools.The SCTtune install involvesplugging it in and following the prompts.

All right, I'll say it! So easy a girly-girl can do it. [8D]
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Ok ok, aparantly cheapest was the wrong term lol...I merely meant "least inexpensive CAI Tuner package with big results" i.e a package of $550 vs. $700 or something, but I'll check out Brenspeed, looks like they have a pretty good setup...also, anyone know if they have a discount code for mustangforums memebers??

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Cheap products aren't good and good products aren't cheap but there is also paying more than a reasonable price. Try www.vmptuning.com he has a not so pretty CAI but it works and he knows Stangs. You can always pay $200 more for a pretty CAI but that's what you get; looks.

If you are building a show car then go for the chrome. If you're like me, save the $$$ and put them elsewhere into the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The CAI & tune combos you'll find are pretty much equivalent in performance. The difference in price is the CAI itself and typically is duee to materials of construction. Performance wise, they are equivalent. Pick one that you find you can afford or pleasing to the eyes AND from a vendor with good customer satisfaction (a.k.a. brenspeed, bama, etc.)
Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

The CAI & tune combos you'll find are pretty much equivalent in performance. The difference in price is the CAI itself and typically is duee to materials of construction. Performance wise, they are equivalent. Pick one that you find you can afford or pleasing to the eyes AND from a vendor with good customer satisfaction (a.k.a. brenspeed, bama, etc.)
+1 on answering my question haha...

So I was doing some reasearch on americanmuscle and brenspeed and I'm not sure if I was reading it right, but they said if you bring the car to the dealer and hook it up to their computer, they might "reflash" it and then you need new tunes from brenspeed, which are free and can be emailed, so I'm not worried about it. With that said, on Brenspeed they say this:
DO NOT load your custom tune back on the vehicle if the dealer reflashes it
Remember if you are running a performance part on the vehicle that requires the custom tune this part must be removed if you plan to drive the vehicle with the stock program.
. So if I have a CAI on there, bring the car to the dealer and they reflash it...how to I drive it home? lol
Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

w/ stock air box you would use the stock tune.
w/ the CAI you would use the custom tune.
so drive w/ stock airbox and stock tune to the dealer.
after you go home and put on the cai again then reload the custom tune.
but some dealers dont care about CAI so i would call them first about it to see if they do care about it.

Quick Reply: Cheapest CAI + Tuner