Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whipple HO tuner kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:09 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default whipple HO tuner kit

i've decided on the whipple HO. but the mechanic who's gonna install it suggests i get the tuner kit and order the fuel pump and injectors seperate, bc i already got the livewire and he is also an excellent tuner and can tune it himself. so this way i can save a few hundred bucks. i'm not sure but i think he likes to use aeromotive fuel pumps. sounds good to me, the fuel pump will support 800 hp FI, what do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whipple HO tuner kit

I'd go with what he suggests if you are using his services.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How much is the HO tuner kit? You really aren't paying anything for the whipple tuner, it's the injectors, spark plugs and fuel pumps that cost so much. Don't be surprised if you don't save anything and i'd be very leary of using another fuel system. the GT500 pumps + dual fpdms are proven to work.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

^^ I would trust another member that has the same kit over someone wanting to 'experiment' on your car with his own tunes and his preferred parts. Sounds a little suspect.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hey, does this mechanic have a dyno? I'd assume anyone tuning a supercharged mustang would, but you made it sound like he's working out of his garage.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Good point. Even if he had a dyno, if he is not a big time S197 tuner that has a large customer base of blown GTs, I would still be leary. Putting a blower on a N/A motor leaves less wiggle room for a subpar tuner. If you have switched to lower compression there might be more leeway.

But if moosestang is questioning your tuner, you should too, as he has been there and knows what to expect.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

yes he does have his own dyno, and he does have a 1000 hp mustang also that he only runs on the track and has ran 8's, he is very good, probly the best tuner around my parts. he only works on fords and specializes in mustangs also a former ford mechanic, he is also an SCT dealer and tunes many stangs where others around here rely on emailed tunes. i know of others that had emailed tunes and he has made the tune better. i guess i should have explained better in my first post.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'd have to see the actual $ #'s, before i could
comment.

what i can comment on is this, NICE CHOICE!

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=signs007.gif][sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

yes he does have his own dyno, and he does have a 1000 hp mustang also that he only runs on the track and has ran 8's, he is very good, probly the best tuner around my parts. he only works on fords and specializes in mustangs also a former ford mechanic, he is also an SCT dealer and tunes many stangs where others around here rely on emailed tunes. i know of others that had emailed tunes and he has made the tune better. i guess i should have explained better in my first post.
But the million dollar question is 'Are they S197's?'

I ask because there is a boat load of good cobra tuners out there who don't have a clue when it comes to the S197. It is a completely different animal.

I am weary right off the bat with his choice of fuel pump. It WILL NOT support that kind of power. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON running over 700 rwhp is using anything other the GT500 dual pumps with dual BAP, or the twin GT supercar pumps - not one...period.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Since modaddicthas been there and done that for a good while, i'm sure he also knows what hes talking about [:-]

Quick Reply: whipple HO tuner kit