Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BLOWER TALK

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM
davesiar
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BLOWER TALK

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: davesiar

Would it be a good idea to just get the Thumprr tensioner and install it with the blower at first so I don't run into these problems?? I plan on getting the Whipple H.O. pretty soon and would like to know. the 10 psi one.
If you have an extra $350 i'd do it, but it's not necessary. I've had no belt issues.
+1, If you are going to run it as delivered I dont think you have to get it.

I do think it should be on the list to get if you can afford it. I plan on getting one within the year after my install. I just need to give the credit card a rest.

It is one of things that I think you should be better safe than sorry.

But I would say focus on bigger things like suspension and stuff before you worry about the tensioner.

I plan on running the 3.6 pulley for a while so I hope the extra area will limit my belt slip.
I plan on running it the way it comes, but was just wondering if people were having issues with the whipple at all. I already have a full suspension done and wheels/tires, so I am set in that department.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

there really aren't any current issues.

bolt it on and you'll be fine.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Dave,

The only caveat to what I wrote is this. Do you have an auto? If so you have nothing to worry about from what I have seen. If you have a manual and you powershift alot, then you might want to consider it sooner rather than later. From what I have seen they only really break if you run high boost and/or powershift.

Personally I "granny shift" the car so I shouldnt have any trouble at all.

But like I said for $300 its cheap insurance. On CK's advice I think I will go with ST's.

Do yourself a favor though and carry an extra belt and breaker bar so if you shred or throw a belt you can get back on the road. To me it is a must on any supercharger.

That is the one thing I like about the new procharger is that the blower has its own seperate belt. That is cool.

And CK,

How about next week we discuss the relationship between buying mods and the divorce rate. You could be the next Oprah.

Oops now I am feeling forclempt. Coffee cake is neither coffee nor cake discuss..(SNL reference)
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

One thing that I had done with my Saleen when Brenspeed did the install was to install an oversized water pump pulley. Yes, it underdrives the water pump a LITTLE bit, but it also increases the wrap on the blower pulley so that I don't get the decel chirping of the belt.

I'm only running 7 psi, but it seemed like a safe thing to do for $40 and free labor (since it was all apart anyway).

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Why not get a electric water pump and lose the pulley all together?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Great advice guys! Yes, it is true that the whipple kit out of the box should see no problems with the stock tensioner.

However, mustanggto405 is 100% correct - the manual is far more prone to tensioner and belt issues than the auto IF you are hard on it. I stick to the numbers I said above when an 8 rib and the monster tensioner is needed, but if you have a manual, and you are a hard powershifter, I would at least put a monster tensioner on their regardless of your boost level.

For everyone else running 10 psi or less, I wouldn't worry about it honestly. I would be more concerned with episode 2 of 'blower talk'...[8D]

PS - loved the SNL quote...