Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

magnaflow exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: magnaflow exhaust?

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

I have the 3" Magnapaks on mine.I sell them as well. IMO, they are not loud. Good sound is subjective to people. Usually, louder means better. The stock h-pipe flows just fine. I honestly cant see a reason to spend the money for an x-pipe unless you want to chase the sound. An X-pipe will create a "cackle" effect as opposed to the H. I have BBK shorties, stock H, and the 3" cat back. I love the deep sound,only neglegible drone at cruising speed. Extremely easy totolerate if you enjoy hearing the car. Although my wife has called me on the cellphone while driving, and I can hear the exhaust "pulse" through the phone. The pulse was created by the BBK's. And they oddly seemd to have quieted down the exhaust a decibel or two. And, in reality, that drone I hear is more than likely the exhaust pulse from the BBK's anyway.

Getting the Magnaflow replacements (not MagnaPaks) would barely, and I stress barely, increase the exhaust noise level. I had put a set on an 05 vert, and, to me, it didnt seem to change it. But the customer said it was louder and he thought it was perfect.And thats all that mattered.
Hi SCCAGT,

Actually the stock catted H-pipe is a problem on even a moderately modifiedS197GT. We found that the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe wasworth more power than the MagnaPack catbacks are.When wefirst installed the Tru-X Pipe and dyno'd it onthe DynoJet, we saw8-9RWHP from that pipe aloneblowing throughthe stock rear mufflers and it sounded pretty good being a slightly louder stock sounding combowith some additional bite andan obvious and loudresonance at 2,400-2,500RPM. Next weinstalled the MagnaPacks and re-tested gaining 5-6RWHP but it was too loud and I pulled them back offcleaned them up and boxed them up after my wife's complaints. The combination of the MagnaPacks straight through naturecombined with the very stong resonance centered at 2,500RPM from the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe with high flow cats made for an unpleasent sound level. But it did sound good when driven hard and run through the gears but of course the engine never sees less than 4,000RPM when being driven properly.

HTH!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks.I have not heard any specific numbers concerning the Magnaflow X-pipe. I'm sure a portion of the gain is through the use of the smaller converters. I guess I should say, considering the $500+ spent on the catted x-pipe will gain a few hp, is it worth the additional noise? It would be hard to feel that by the seat of the pants (if FI'd), and some may question its value. Unless the noise level is factored in to the equation. Since the OP is asking about noise levels and droning, that is where my response was directed.
I wont be doing anything else to the exhaust on mine because the noise level is at the limit of where I want it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I have magnapacks and I'l never own another kind of muffler
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so if I'm running just a Magnaflow axle-back, what are the recommendations for and against putting an X-pipe on? Or would I be better off spending that money to take the Magnaflow's and putting Magnapacks or something else on, maybe something deeper than Magnaflows.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have the h-pipe and the magnapacks and I love them! Great deep resonating sound....
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV01620.flv
Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 PM
billg

I have the Magnaflow Magnapacks and am changing them out next week for Corsas to get rid of the irritating drone around 2K rpm's. I love them, but hate the drone, and my research seems to show the Corsas are the only system without any drone. Other systems seem to have drone at different rpm levels, butthe Corsas have a patented system to get ridof the drone and leave the sound you like.