Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

REBUILD TALK - Episode I

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: REBUILD TALK - Episode I

Yeah, I remember some pics of a block that was damaged by UPS too.. Who was that??
Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Retroflyer or something, I think is his name... and I remember it had 6.0 stamped on it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

So, what all work has to be done when ordering a rotating assembly? I was debating ordering a Livernois roatating assembly and then getting a local shop to do the install. The other option is paying the extra $1000 for the Livernois short block assembly without my old core.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 AM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

Quik question?

Does the 3v heads bolt directly to the 4v cobra block?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 AM
jdroth50
1st Gear Member

Is it fair to assume that my headers will bolt right up to any of the aforementioned blocks? Probably a total noob question, comparable to people in my office asking me if their Hewlett-Packard keyboard is going to work on their Dell PC. Just want to double check, though.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

CK,

Dont want to jump ahead too much, but would the best deal to get a forged bottom end to find a 03-04 cobra stock shortblock? Could I just bolt everything else up to this and run 500ish rwhp forever?

If so how much do you think I could find one for. I plan on running my stocker forever unless/until something bad happens. I took a big hit from uncle sam this year so I want a cheap emergency route if my motor goes pop.

Also might I suggest in the next episode you discuss what would be the cheapest shortblock one could get. Considering I want to stay in the 500 rwhp range I assume I dont need anything exotic.

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_4419259/tm.htm The link to that 6.0 build.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: D_Gusler

Quik question?

Does the 3v heads bolt directly to the 4v cobra block?
YES
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdroth50

Is it fair to assume that my headers will bolt right up to any of the aforementioned blocks? Probably a total noob question, comparable to people in my office asking me if their Hewlett-Packard keyboard is going to work on their Dell PC. Just want to double check, though.
YES
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

CK,

Dont want to jump ahead too much, but would the best deal to get a forged bottom end to find a 03-04 cobra stock shortblock? Could I just bolt everything else up to this and run 500ish rwhp forever?

If so how much do you think I could find one for. I plan on running my stocker forever unless/until something bad happens. I took a big hit from uncle sam this year so I want a cheap emergency route if my motor goes pop.

Also might I suggest in the next episode you discuss what would be the cheapest shortblock one could get. Considering I want to stay in the 500 rwhp range I assume I dont need anything exotic.

Thanks,
I don't know what you could find one for but personally, I wouldn't put a used motor in the car anyway. You are better off just building with a fresh start IMO. Used blocks - no biggie - but I'd never put in any used rotating assembly.

Episode II is going to be rotating assemblies so we can start talking about options from budget to extreme. I think episode III is going to be complete shortblock kits and prices and episode IV is going to be all the accessories for the build. (head studs, pumps, caps, oil pans, etc., etc,...

Quick Reply: REBUILD TALK - Episode I