Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Building 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Engine Building 101

Well, in a world of Superchargers, it's kind of hard to find out some information.

Cubic Inches - Well, I'd prefer to have 302 or larger, without changing out my block. When using a stroker kit, is it necessary to remove the block and have it prepped for a stroker kit... Or can you simply drop in the new items?

Compression - Looking for high compression, car will never see a Super charger so the power has to be made elsewhere. How high is recommended. 11-12? Also, how does one increase compression anyway?

Stroker Assemby Kits - I've been looking all around, and it seems Sean Hyland is the only one I can really find any information on. However it says the kit is designed for the Teskid blocks. What style blocks do we have in our 05+ GTs?

Accessories - When adding something like this, what are the standard accessories? Better Oil Pan, pump. Fuel rails, injectors, pumps. Spark plugs, COP. ????

Objective - 302+ Cubic Inches, High Compression, Valve work, P&P Heads, Aggressive cams, LT Headers, Throttle Body. Hoping for around 400 RWHP, but I think it'll be slightly more than that. Already have CAI, Tune, and UDPs.

Saleen/Parnelli Jones - How exactly was their 400 bhp / 390 btq made? Stroker + Intake and tune? What compression ratio does it have?

I don't know who is qualified to answer such questions, but if anyone has done similar work to their car or know of something feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
Menace
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Building 101

there's a class being held right now down
the hall....it's the Rebuild Talk - Episode 1

take this and paste it over there and the
professor will be happy to comment
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

That class is for Supercharger purposes only, I'd hate to pollute that thread with something else... hence why I made another thread. If the 'professor' would like to swing by and add some input, that'll be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I'm not a professor but 400 fwhp is not THAT hard to obtain. One thing I've surely learned, its cheaper to build a SC car than a NA car in our case with the 4.6 motor... and u'll end up with more hp.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I realize I can throw on a supercharger and have more power, for cheaper... but that's not what I want to do, sorry.
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Well, in a world of Superchargers, it's kind of hard to find out some information.

Cubic Inches - Well, I'd prefer to have 302 or larger, without changing out my block. When using a stroker kit, is it necessary to remove the block and have it prepped for a stroker kit... Or can you simply drop in the new items?

Compression - Looking for high compression, car will never see a Super charger so the power has to be made elsewhere. How high is recommended. 11-12? Also, how does one increase compression anyway?

Stroker Assemby Kits - I've been looking all around, and it seems Sean Hyland is the only one I can really find any information on. However it says the kit is designed for the Teskid blocks. What style blocks do we have in our 05+ GTs?

Accessories - When adding something like this, what are the standard accessories? Better Oil Pan, pump. Fuel rails, injectors, pumps. Spark plugs, COP. ????

Objective - 302+ Cubic Inches, High Compression, Valve work, P&P Heads, Aggressive cams, LT Headers, Throttle Body. Hoping for around 400 RWHP, but I think it'll be slightly more than that. Already have CAI, Tune, and UDPs.

Saleen/Parnelli Jones - How exactly was their 400 bhp / 390 btq made? Stroker + Intake and tune? What compression ratio does it have?

I don't know who is qualified to answer such questions, but if anyone has done similar work to their car or know of something feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
Menace
Cubic Inches - the block must be balanced and sent to the machine shop as well. When dealing with cubic inches, and stroker kits, you have to understand the formula. Here's info from another one of my threads...

Bore X Bore X Stroke X .7854 X 8 = cubic inch

Increase the bore or the stroke (or both) and you increase cubic inches. Pretty simple. The limiting factors are the block. There is only so much material you can remove by boring a stock block. Once that is done your option becomes resleeving the block or using a "big bore" block from FRPP.

With a stroker crank you will also get either shorter connecting rods or a piston with a pin located higher up in the piston. Sometimes both. The limit there becomes how far the connecting rod pulls the piston out of the bottom of the bore at the Bottom Dead Center position.

As stated by others, common stroker crank setups utilize the 3.700", 3.750" or the 3.800" strokes. All of these will put you right at 300" with a stock bore block. With the above formula you can see for yourself. The FRPP big bore block and the Darton Sleeve System will give you a 3.700" bore to work with. Utilizing one of these with a stock stroke crank you will again be in the 300" area.

Put the big bore and the stroker together and you end up in the 323" area. All of this applies to the 4.6 based engines. The 5.4 engine utilizes the same bore as the 4.6 but uses a 4.160" stroke, a much longer connecting rod and a taller deck height block.

Class dismissed. This information will be on the mid-term.
Compression - Yes, on n/a you want a higher compression ratio but you still have to be mindful of how high you can go on octane. More compression requires more octane and the numbers are dependent on your set-up. For example, I'd like to have a 11:1 compression with a blower car but I would have to run race gas 24/7 in it. For a big N/A build - you definitely want as high compression as you can go but it depends on all the factors of your build how high you can go on pump gas.

Stroker Assembly Kits - The teksid block is a 4.6 block. The stock block is a ford 4.6 aluminum block. (Refer to my 'REBUILD EPISOD I' thread) Any 4.6 stroker kit will work in any 4.6 block. I personally don't like SHM and you can find much better. You can't be looking that hard... Off the top of my head, you can check - fox lake, VT engines, ST Motorsports, JDM Engineering, Boss 330 Racing, Livernois, MMR, and Sutton, just to name a few. All of which I would recommend before SHM (and that's saying a lot considering I hate JDM..lol)

Accessories - this is very subjective and there is a ton of things you can do and many you SHOULD do. I'll have a lot of this covered in my next 'rebuild' thread...

Objective - We can talk more about this but I would stay away from that '302' number. Very hard to keep the knock sensors and it is pushing the maximum amount of stroke and bore you can do on the regular 4.6 blocks. This is the reason the 'Parnelli Jones' car you speak of is done on the 'boss' or big bore FRPP block. I never like to be at the limit and most of the big race shops agree. You are better off going a little under on the overbore and netting around 298ci.

Saleen/Parnelli Jones - Their motor is actually the standard bore 'Boss' or 'Big Bore' new FRPP block. It is the block I talk about in the rebuild - episode 1 thread... It comes with a standard stroke of 3.700 and with a very slight over they make the 302. That block has custom sleeves a bigger web, and some other goodies and is also $2000-$2400...

I have the block and it is AWESOME...

If you want to be big crazy N/A - then you can also get the Big Bore 5.4 and stroke that thing into big cube territory...[8D]

hammeron
6th Gear Member

ah, in that case the Prof should be along shortly

If the 'professor' would like to swing by and add some input, that'll be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

That class is for Supercharger purposes only, I'd hate to pollute that thread with something else... hence why I made another thread. If the 'professor' would like to swing by and add some input, that'll be appreciated.
FYI: 'Rebuild Talk' is a thread for ALL REBUILDS, FI or not...
Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i am sure he will, maybe PM him just in case
Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

PS, those companies you mentioned... if you try and go to their websites they are all down, lol. It's a conspiracy.

I'd like to run 93 octane gas all the time, and it's kinda disappointing that we can't go larger with this block...

I was under the impression the PJ Saleen was just a stroked 06+ Wasn't aware they replaced the whole block.

Quick Reply: Engine Building 101