Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are 10s really that difficult with S197?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Are 10s really that difficult with S197?

Jim,

What about Joe's blue car? I saw it make a 9.85 (?) @ JDM day
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Are 10s really that difficult with S197?

ORIGINAL: JimIII@JDM

The 4 guys that have run in the 10s are all between 510 and 530 RWHP on 103 VP race fuel and Race tune with the stock motor and 14-15 psi boost (3.0 upper / 10% lower)

detuned for the street they are all around 490 RWHP on about 13 psi boost (3.2-3.4 upper) for good ole 93 octane. 91 Id probably back down to 470-480. Now remember this is through an automatic. 5 speed cars you can make about another 15-20 more HP with.

The only plans Saleen has for the blower is a shaker blower setup. We plan to offer a full CNC porting process to the blower and a custom upper lid made from Sheet metal. This is all stuff we are currently working on with our Beryllium race car. It however is getting a 5.4 3 v engine and the wider Saleen 5.4 3v truck supercharger. This combo should add nearly at least 100 HP we are hoping and should get us in the low 9's to high 8's!! We are looking to try the TCI 5R55 too before opting out for a 4R75W

We do run a trans heater. Its just an oil pan heater and we cut a hole and welded a bung into the pan and threaded it in. When the car is off we have an electrical cord that runs up the driverside of the tranny tunnel into the engine bay where we can hook an extension cord up to. The heater doesnt control the temperature. Its just really designed for keeping heat in the fluid. We get the trans up to temp then plug in the heater. We monitor the temp with our NGS + scan tool but a tranny temp gauge would work.

Your right about the oil too i wish we had more time to play around with it and see if there is a particular brand or mix that would work better. Maybe thats something we'll try and figure out inbetween some races this year. Either way thanks for the suggestion!

JimIII

I will try to make these my last questions any more I will just call.

Jim the ET's (w/auto) and numbers you guys are getting are impressive imo. So I did some research (on the psi I am interested in running) on your work & tunes running the Saleen S/C on the stock motor foundguys running different setups they swear by your tunes and seem very satisfied and happy.

I was wondering if these numbers look correct (per timing & rwhp)below to you ( from what one guy was saying) if one was to go this route with your tune and if not could you let me know what would be the correct numbers below?

93 pump gas:

12-13 psi pulley 17* 470-480rwhp?

12-13 psi pulley 18* 490rwhp?

I couldn't find numbers on a tune for 19* all I was seeing was 16-18*so what rwhp are you getting with 19* w/12-13psi with your tune on 93 pump gas?

I am thinking to myself that 490rwhp with 18* seems high thinking maybe he meant 19*.

Interesting imo as I have read the Whipple HO (10-11psi) stock tune is running 19* before a custom dyno tune even starts.

So according to what I am reading a larger throttle body and exhaust would increase those numbers above by around 10- 15rwhp have you guys seen these gains and does this sound correct?

I see one could get the Saleen ported for theS197 3Vand read about a guy who had it done and said he is running(with your tune)the 15psi pulley, but the 2.87@6.2k to limit-13psi to build up the under the curve power good read and setup.

I also see there is a new intercooler (exchanger) that just came out that reallyimproves the cooling, would this have an affect onthe above numbers (rwhp) at all since and if so what are you guys seeing along with the ACT’s?

I thought I had made up my mind on what S/C to go with but you have peaked my interest on a Saleen a bit so I have to blame you for all these questions.

TIA