Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whre to mount EGT probe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Default Whre to mount EGT probe?

I have the pyometer guage all mounted, wired, and ready to go, I just need to know the best place to mount the EGT probe. Driver's side, passenger side, downstream end of the exhaust manifold or right next toa specific cylinder? For the meantime, this will be on the stock exhaust manifold, but in the future, I will probably need to know the same info for headers.

I have a super fast STS twin turbo basement at the moment. The EGT is the last bit of prep I have to do before the basement goes back to N/A and the 'Stang gets forced induction.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whre to mount EGT probe?

You should probably contact the manufacturer. They should know exactly where it should go. Too close and it will read too high, too far and it will read too low.

Frank
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

it should be mounted in a bung on the exhaust manifold but definetly contact the manufacturer. They should know exactly where it should go. Too close and it will read too high, too far and it will read too low.. like frank said
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I figured someone on this forum would have already mounted one of these. The manufacturer was somewhat less than specific about the best location, that's why I asked the question. In my research about pyrometers from other sources, it seems that the best place to monitor EGT's is close to the blockonthe exhaust runner that matches the last cylinder along the fuel rail. This is likely to be the first cylinder that shows any signs of running lean, and usually the hottest. Mounting the probe in the collector can be useful, but you have to understand that you are getting an average temp reading from the full bank of cylinders, and with the time transient nature of heat, it will read much much hotter than any one cylinder. You are not likely to see one lean cylinder and three rich ones. Not that you could see that by mounting it onone runner, but at least in the runner, you can easily tell a general lean condition more quickly than a collector mounted probe.

I will see if I can't shoehorn my fat self into the engine bay enough to get my probe mounted this afternoon. Ideally, I would have headers ready to install as well, and I could weld a bung in while on a bench, but that isn't the case right now. I will run it for a few days and post some numbers for EGT's on a purelystock setup. No tune, no CAI, no F/I. I will use this as a baseline for asafe, if not conservative,tunning parameter.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

The manufacturer is giving you good info. You want to mount it as close to the head as you can on the cylinder that is farthest away from the fuel supply, and in cases where the fuel comes into the center of the rail, always go towards the front of the car... when your accelerating, innertia is pushing the fuel away from this point.