Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Here, Need Advice

Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
JJSoCrazy
1st Gear Member

Default New Here, Need Advice

Hello everyone, I'm Joe. In the next few weeks I will be looking into getting a new 2008 GT C/S loaded, I probably will get automatic because I live in an area with traffic and I hate driving stick in those conditions. I am looking to add a few mods (cai, exhaust, tuning, etc.) and I would like some advice on what to do. I have gone through some posts and saw the thread that throughly explains all the exhaust types you can add to a Mustang which was very helpful. Now I have a few questions:

1. I made my choice to go with Borla Stingers because I like the sound, my friends 05 GT has them and they sound great!, and I want a DEEP exhaust sound. Is this a good exhaust to get for what I want from the following:

2. I know that with Mustangs they use Hangers to add the exhaust, I DO NOT want to void the warranty and I just want to add mufflers w/o cutting and welding, with this exhaust in mind what is the best way to do it w/o purchasing an x or h pipe, just mufflers and hangers. Also is that a good idea?

3. I want to add a CAI from K&N, are they trustworthy, how does it sound, and is it good HP and Gas Mileage gain? Or, is there another type of CAI that will be more suffecient or better? I know K&N makes good product but I would like feedback from some people.

4. I heard people tune Mustangs for a very good amount of power gain, is this true and what is the best way to do it?

Also if anyone has any more recommendations or ideas to come up, with please feel free to add!

Thank You!

Joe
Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New Here, Need Advice

Hey Joe, welcome to the forums. The mufflers you picked out are great...I've heard them live and they sound really good. With theaxel back systems for these cars, they should right up and no modifications should be needed. I have the flowmasters and they just bolted righton. As far as the CAI...if you are going the tune route which most on here will recommend, they you may want to look the C&L and JLT systems. However, with these you need a tune butit is byfar the best mod you can do for youcar...especially with the automatics. I would check outa place like Brenspeed on their packages and even give them a call as their service is awesome.If youare worried about warranties with the tune...you can change it back to stock in about 20-30 minutes. With the CAI w/tune combo you are probably looking at 20-30hp gain which is very nice but it will drastically improve throttle response and shifting with the auto...you willchirp 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with your auto. Hope this helps some!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

yeah, dont get k&n, get a cai combo from brenspeed
Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: batmobile2005

yeah, dont get k&n, get a cai combo from brenspeed
the JLT is cheaper and better hp, easier install too.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

I had the stingers on my automatic. They looked and sounded great. They did however drone so horribly around 30mph I had to take them off . I reinstalled the stock mufflers.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Welcome!
Your plans sound good with the exception of the K&N CAI. There are much better CAI on the market, as a matter of fact my friend Simon1 is selling his JLT2 and SCT tuner send him a PM if you are interested. Any ways I would look at a different CAI I am running a Steeda and have had no issues with it.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have the Stingers and love them but, yes, they WILL drone in the 1500-2000 RPM range. With the windows down you won't notice it. I've grown accustomed to it and I love how they sound. There's a great write-up in TacoBills "How-to" section on installing the Stingers that really applies to most any axleback installation. It's basically unbolt the hangers and clamps, slip the stock axlebacks off and slide the new ones one and re-bolt. There's a bit of a trick to center the tips in the bumper openings but it's all in the write-up. Be aware, NO HP gain with the axleback.

As far as a CAI is concerned, without a doubt pick a CAI & tune combo from one of the more popular vendors... Brenspeed, Bama, etc.. You'll be sorry doing anythingother than a combo. Typical gains with the combo are about 15-25 HP, perhaps a tad more.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
JJSoCrazy
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone for your help! I am more confident in what to do when I get it. I will def. get the Corsa stingers, what is the best price to get them for and a good place to get for a good price, hopefully no more than $3/400.

Also is Brenspeed good or also JLT for a good sound/hp gain CAI and tune?

I found this, is this the best way to get a kit with the intake and the tuning chip thing:

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/in...roducts_id=122

Thanks Everyone!

Joe
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
j07gt/cs
1st Gear Member

joe welcome
with the CAI go with bamaa chips or breenspeed get a combo pack trust us
Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
JJSoCrazy
1st Gear Member

Ok, the Brenspeed sounds good but the price is a little high, is $600 normal for that? Hopefully I can get it cheaper, here is a link, is this the right one?

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/

Thanks!

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Here, Need Advice