Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Honest Input from You DIY Install Guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Nelsta21
1st Gear Member

Default Need Honest Input from You DIY Install Guys

Hi everyone,

I am so close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a whipple (gen 2) for my 2005 mustang coupe. The only issue is I have a hard time paying people to do things to my car. I love to learn about how things work on my vehicle and to pay tond os money to some guy to install a supercharger is hard for me so I want to do the install myself with the help of a couple friends.

I want everyones honest opinion, if there are three capable car guys working on the install is it worth doing myself. Please understand that none of us have done a supercharger install before. I want to be sure it is done right but I feel that we could definately do it, I just need some insight from those of you that have done it yourselves.

I know there have been posts about this but I cannot seem to get the search function to find what I am looking for.

I appreciate it guys!

Ryan
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Honest Input from You DIY Install Guys

i imagine you can if you are gifted with cars and you have a lot of explicit instruction. however, with something like that, i would put into the hands of an experienced technician, i feel like too much could go wrong really quickly
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

I doubt you will have a problem. My father and I both do everything on our cars. We did the install on my blower with no snags. Essentially a sc is bolt on horsepower. You have to modify a couple of things like the fuel rails and if you are running a boost a pump or something similar you will splice into the harness. There is alot of work but it is fairly straight foward. You will not have any problems if you know your way around cars pretty well. Just make sure everything in the instructions is exact and do a ton of research so you know the install front to back before you even buy the kit.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The whipple is by far the easiest twin screw to install. Nothing is modified aside from the sensor wires being extended. The fuel pump wireing is plug and play except you have to release the fuel sender wires from the stock harness and push them into the dual pump harness. The most daunting task was putting the dual pumps down inside that small hole in the tank. Removing the stock intake manifold and swapping for the whipple aluminum one was easy. Putting the blower on the intake manifold wasn't hard for me because I climbed up onto the engine. That's how i'd recommend doing it unless you weigh 300lbs. It's much easier to drop it down into the hole if you are up there on the engine.

You will need the fuel line disconnect tool. It can be purchased at any autoparts store. You'll need an ft lb and inch lb torque wrench. The rest of the tools needed are pretty common.

Removing your spark plugs might be the hardest part for you. They are known to break upon removal if you have a lot of miles on the car.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Nelsta21
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I know it will be a big job but technically it doesn't seem that hard. If any of you know of any good threads about supercharger installs please let me know, thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

too many things can go wrong, i'd
have a professional shop do it

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
shelby69
1st Gear Member

I'd recommend doing it yourself. I am like you and like to do everything myself and hate to pay someone else. If you do it yourself at least you'll know its right and you didn't cut any corners.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Where did you find the Gen 2 kit for the 05-06 cars? I can't find it anywhere yet?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
zoso429

I am in the same boat as you. I've always done everything myself to my car and besides saving money I wanted to say I installed the blower. I read the installation instructions and felt that I am very capable in doing this myself. BUT I absolutely dread starting it up and having problems or dtc errors without being able to contact someone, like an installer. I called several places and was pretty set on doing it myself until I called Adam out here at ST Motorsports. I felt so confident in his ability and now once I pull the trigger on the blower I have no problem taking the car to him to have it installed.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
clfrye
1st Gear Member

I was neverous as $%*& when I installed mine, just take your time and read the instructions throughly. If you and your friends are mechanically incline you should be fine. Get a couple of fender covers so you don't mess up your paint. The two most difficult parts are getting the blower on top of the motor, multiple sets of hands will really help with this step. And getting the new fuel pump is a true pain.BE WARNED, the most dangerous part will be when you are done and your helpers want to drive!!!

Quick Reply: Need Honest Input from You DIY Install Guys