Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My experience w/cams and intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default My experience w/cams and intakes

There have been plenty of threads for cams and intakes. I tried two different intakes with the cams I have and decided to compile the results in one excel spreadsheet. I smoothed the lines a bit to keep the graph from getting too busy (not so much wiggle in the lower rpm's like a real dyno sheet shows - if you've ever seen a dyno sheet, you know what I'm talking about).

Here's what I compared:
1. total stock (not my car, but in stock form they're all about the same)
2. my car with the following mods: Crower Cams (similar to Comp stage III), CMCV delete, LT's and Magnaflows, WMS intake, custom tune by Fastlane of Houston. I have other mods, but they don't affect power.
3. same as #2, but I replaced the WMS intake with the Airaide unit (ok, I misspelled airaid on the spreadsheet, so sue me).

Drivability and mileage with the WMS was not good, especially in the lower rpm range, however upper power was very good. Additionally, because the MAF sensor was so close to the throttle plates, this was causing idle issues immediately after lifting on the throttle (engine would undershoot properidle rpm significantly).I began suspecting something was not right with it because in addition to those issues, it just didn't seem to have enough kick right off the line. In doing some research I reached the conclusion that the very short intake lengthof the WMS was killing low end torque.

I replaced the WMS with the Airaid and mileage increased by about 3 mpg, and the idle issue was gone. While I did gain low end torque and hp as expected, I was very pleasantly surprised by the fact that I didn't lose any top end power which I was expecting.

Conclusion:
1. WMS is crap (and I used to be a "believer" in it).
2. Airaid is pretty damn good
3. Cams work if tuned properly

If you look at the graph, you'll see that at 6500 rpm, there's about 100 rwhp difference between my car as it sits now vs stock.

I also had poly motor mounts installed - the vibration takes a little getting used to, but it feels great - wish I had done that sooner.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30073/F3D991E516AF49BE81371051334BF359.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 AM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: VERSUS! Expeience w/cams and intakes

Hi,
nice numbers. Did you do the cams and the spring swap, or the swap with just the cams? I dunno if crower has a set where you dont need springs, so it may be a bad question. I would be curious what a 95mm intake (C&L racer)would do for your numbers. Most will agree the airraid is better than the wms, but with these engines, especially with cams, you need as much flow as you can get.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I know this is off topic but what boat were you on and what rate were you? I am a Nav ET I was on the Chicago and am now stationed in San Diego
Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I did the springs also soI could take it to 7000 rpm ifI need to.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BFMacias

I know this is off topic but what boat were you on and what rate were you? I am a Nav ET I was on the Chicago and am now stationed in San Diego
Oklahoma City (SSN 723) in Norfolk.I spent 6 straight years on board andI left as an ET1 (nuke).