Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone tuning with HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Psykostevo

Default Anyone tuning with HPTuners?

I use HPTuners for tuning all my GM vehicles, but I have never tuned a Ford with it. Now that I have the mustang I am tempted to use that program for writing tunes. Has anyone else here used it for tuning the Mustangs?

If so, I would appreciate some insight on it.

The cost is significantly less than SCT, and then I can write whatever tunes I want for myself and not have to pay another company to do it for me like those with SCT have to do.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone tuning with HPTuners?

I use it exclusively. You will have tons more controlability than with a handheld tuner. Since your familiar with the software, I don't need to go into the features, but know this; Fords PCM and programing are leaps and bounds different from GM. Fueling is calculated in Lambda, and the timing is VERY different. No high and low octaine maps, and the knock sensors play a much larger role, and there is no way to log them that I know of yet. However, once you have them under control, they work VERY well. Cam phasing is also slightly different from GM's way of doing things, and the CMCV's add in a measure of complexity that took some time to get right as well.

Coming from a GMbackground with the software also, there was a HUGE learning curve to it, but once you start figuring things out, it comes easier and easier. There are also a few unexpected things thattook some time to get sorted out to avoid getting SES lights, that I actually ended up taking my car to them (One of their tech's lives not too far from me, and I've been on their tester crew before, first with my Colorado and then with the stang) to help get sorted out.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you some specifics on things. Also, a great source of info is a book by Greg Banish, called Advanced Engine Management. It's written from an SCT view point (the PC based stuff that the guys ise to write tunes for the hand helds), but 95% of the info is similar enough to figure it out. Also, the forums over at theiur websiteis a good place to get help if your stuck on something specific.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I also was a GM HPTuners man as GM is EASY! When I began studing up on the Fords.....I said F' IT! Dude, talk about a big difference in layout! Geez!

I had to ability to tune 98,99,01,02 LS1 Camaro and Firebird unlimited VINs. Had the Pro cable too. Sold it for 900 bucks (what a steal) I decided since I was going with a whipple twin screw I wouldn't tune it at home anyway. I will live with a handheld tuner custom tuned from bamachips until I buy my whipple and a custom whipple tune.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unleashedbeast

I also was a GM HPTuners man as GM is EASY! When I began studing up on the Fords.....I said F' IT! Dude, talk about a big difference in layout! Geez!

I had to ability to tune 98,99,01,02 LS1 Camaro and Firebird unlimited VINs. Had the Pro cable too. Sold it for 900 bucks (what a steal) I decided since I was going with a whipple twin screw I wouldn't tune it at home anyway. I will live with a handheld tuner custom tuned from bamachips until I buy my whipple and a custom whipple tune.
I almost did the exact same thing... except when I spent some time leartning the fords, I found that the level of control you had was much MUCH better than what GM had. Plus, the Fords are actually simpler once you figure out what does what. There is no VE to tune at all, everything is done with realtime calculations based on torque loads and airflow modeling from the MAF and there is no MAP sensor to mess with. Fueling is done in Lambda instead of as a Multiplier from the PE tableto the part throttle table.

After dealing with the Fords now, the GM's seem crude almost... every time I hook up to a GM now, I feel like I am trying to reach around my elbow to scratch my butt. I will say this tho about the Fords.. with the GM, you can kinda muddle through it and learn as you go, just by adding numbers to tables and seeing how it effects things. with the Fords, you really need some kind of technical knowledge and some understanding of what is going on to have a good understanding.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

handheld will only work with minor mod's
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyman

handheld will only work with minor mod's
unless you have someone with alot of tuning experience emailing you custom tunes for your mods.

or when I buy my whipple it comes with a tuner preloaded with what I need to make the car perform right.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

I almost did the exact same thing... except when I spent some time leartning the fords, I found that the level of control you had was much MUCH better than what GM had. Plus, the Fords are actually simpler once you figure out what does what. There is no VE to tune at all, everything is done with realtime calculations based on torque loads and airflow modeling from the MAF and there is no MAP sensor to mess with. Fueling is done in Lambda instead of as a Multiplier from the PE tableto the part throttle table.

After dealing with the Fords now, the GM's seem crude almost... every time I hook up to a GM now, I feel like I am trying to reach around my elbow to scratch my butt. I will say this tho about the Fords.. with the GM, you can kinda muddle through it and learn as you go, just by adding numbers to tables and seeing how it effects things. with the Fords, you really need some kind of technical knowledge and some understanding of what is going on to have a good understanding.
Maybe I should have taken the chance and bought the credits to tune my new 08 stang, but I knew the whipple upgrade wasn't far away. I knew for a FACT I would have NEVER attempted to tune my 08 with a FI setup without a dyno/wideband. To reinforce my decision I read where you could buy a CAI and a handheld with custom tunes better than the standard tunes. I decided I could sell HPTuners, take that money to buy the CAI and tuner, then when I buy the whipple...sell the CAI and tuner. Then I use the tuner whipple sent me and I'm done. No more mods needed.

Now, Doug from Bamachips told me on the phone that he could improve the part throttle tuning in the standard whipple tune. I can discuss that with him after I get it installed. Until then....the CAI/tuner will get me by.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Maybe I should have taken the chance and bought the credits to tune my new 08 stang, but I knew the whipple upgrade wasn't far away. I knew for a FACT I would have NEVER attempted to tune my 08 with a FI setup without a dyno/wideband. To reinforce my decision I read where you could buy a CAI and a handheld with custom tunes better than the standard tunes. I decided I could sell HPTuners, take that money to buy the CAI and tuner, then when I buy the whipple...sell the CAI and tuner. Then I use the tuner whipple sent me and I'm done. No more mods needed.

Now, Doug from Bamachips told me on the phone that he could improve the part throttle tuning in the standard whipple tune. I can discuss that with him after I get it installed. Until then....the CAI/tuner will get me by.
Oh, believe me dude, I am not doggin on ya for it. If it wasn't for the fact that selling my HPTuners was not an option due to the fact that all of my families and friendscars have been tuned by me, I'd have probably gone the exact same route. I Whipple is in my near future as well, and I am really struggling with whether or not I wanna tune it.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

NO WAY am I going to risk my stock internals b/c I just don't know when to say when. I tend to push things to the end a bit. The 10PSI HO kit and me trying to make it do more than the stock internals can handle = disaster lol