Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI+Tuner Very Lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
NightmareMustang

Default CAI+Tuner Very Lost

Hey everybody, im new to here but ive searched around plenty of sites, and forums[:@] and im just seriously lost on this tuning. What I understand is that I need a CAI + Tuner but what is this Bamachip? Is this chip sold seperately and need to be installed or already in the tuner? I see that bamachips.com is selling xcal3 tuner but after that you have to buy tuner Files? Are there certain files you can set/save in the Tuner where you can change back and forth from Stock -> Race -> Daily Driving? Im waiting for my warrenty to go up to get my CAI+Tune. I was looking at K&N and Xcal3 w/ Bama.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI+Tuner Very Lost

Bamachips is the name of a company. There are no bama "chips" unless Doug may occasional have some chips with his sandwich.
Bama (or other tuners like Brenspeed)create tunes for the S197 Mustang.
You can buy a handheld flash device from them.
They can have some pre-loaded tunes on the flash device . Each can be configured for a different purpose like various octane levels, or for dragstrip or street. You can select which tune you want to run. Doug or Brent canaccomodate the mods you have when theyinclude the tunes they load on your flash device. If you want you can have a custom tune made on a dynomometer designed specifically for your car and tested/adjusted on the dyno.

Nothing really complicated here....

Also why wait until your warranty is up? That is really not necessary.
Just load the stock tune back and remove the CAI if you have to have service at the dealer. Hell my dealer installed my blower and they dont whine about any of mywarranty claims.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Simply purchase a CAI/tuner fcombo rom either vendor (Brenspeed or Bamachips) and install it. Takes all of 30 minutes to do. The tunes are already loaded for you. And yes, you can switch tunes.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM
NightmareMustang

Ahh Ic alrighty, thanks for the quick response guys. I think i'll stick with xcal2 I hear 3 have many bug issues. So you're saying there are already 3 pre-made tune already installed from brenspeed?

True.. i'll see what my dealer says etc.. Thanks guys
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

OK. here you go. Bamachips is a company who sells parts, just like brenspeed and many others. Most Xcal2 Tuners hold 3 tunes; yes they are race and 87octane and that kinda stuff.
Most combo packages come with an excalibrator2 and an intake tube. I suggest using the "search" to find out with company and intake to go with. HINT - dont get the K&N!!! Most of these packages are $500-600
Bamachips is a reputable company and buying from them would be ok.
I personally bought the JLT2 and excal2 from Brenspeed for $554. This intake makes the most power per $ spent. But there are cast aluminum ones and other "nicer intakes" But the JLT2 does the job
Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I would save yourself a bunch of time and give Brenspeed a call and they will answer all your questions. Hit their website, give them a call and go from there. They will take the time and answer all your tuning questions. Like others have said, it's really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Good luck!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
NightmareMustang

Alrighty i'll get the JLT2 and tuner from Brenspeed plus seems like a lot of people are liking it and the gain. Ill scratch out the K&N
How is the stock xcal2 preset tunes?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
RedStang06
2nd Gear Member

Independant tests show the JLT and C&L CAIs as producing the biggest power gains.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 PM
NightmareMustang

Nice, my warrenty is almost up anyways by august ill have enough .
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

just go for it, even if you take to the dealership, is only take 30min to uninstall it.

Quick Reply: CAI+Tuner Very Lost