Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TCI AUTO SHIFTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 AM
shawn28333

Default RE: TCI AUTO SHIFTER

Thanks for the reply. I would assume that it will be more for playing around with. Shouldn't it be faster in a 1/4 mile race to leave it in drive especially with a Brenspeed tune.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I think it looks pretty good....not sure if I would get it because I have not hit the track yet. Any clue how much an install would cost???
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt07GT

I think it looks pretty good....not sure if I would get it because I have not hit the track yet. Any clue how much an install would cost???
I never put in any TCI products but I have put a few B&M shifters in some cars. It's really as simple as taking out the console and unbolting the old shifter and bolting in the new one.

I am sure there are a few stumbling blocks you'll hit, but you can do it man.

Installation: FREE
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It's good to see more ratchet shifters comming out for 05+ stangs. I personally like the B&amp;M shifter better as it looks more like a manual shifter, but I like how this one won't let you go into reverse my mistake. That's always a good thing.

Someone from B&amp;M told me their shifter should be comming out in March, unless that has changed since I last talked to them.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but the shifter is finally available. I got one of the first production run units courtesy of Doug @ BAMA. There is also some new information and pictures up on TCI's web site in the 2009 product guide. Here's a link to the guide, some pictures, and the text that goes along with it: http://www.tciauto.com/WhatsNew/Files/tci999npb09.pdf

Ford 5R55S StreetFighter® Ratchet Shifter
'05-'09 3V 4.6L Mustangs
The '05-'09 Ford Mustang GT is the hottest late model performance
vehicle on the market, however the stock shifter has some drawbacks
when it comes to serious street/strip performance. The new
TCI® StreetFighter® Ratchet Shifter provides a positive stop shifting
action allowing you to manually speed shift without fear of hanging
between gears or missing gears all together. Despite being built
for performance, this new shifter also has an equally impressive billet
show-inspired appearance that makes it at home on the track or
cruising through town. The StreetFighter® Ratchet Shifter is a perfect
fit in the S197 Ford Mustang console without modification to your interior
or the factory Ford 5R55S transmission. This shifter also utilizes
the factory shift cable to further simplify the installation and comes
complete with a lighted gear indicator for accurate gear selection.

• Dependable ratchet shifter is a “must have” upgrade for
street/strip Mustangs
• Positive stop action allows manual “speed shifting” without
fear of mis-shifts
• Fits '05-'09 Ford Mustang GT console & transmission without
modifications
• NHRA/IHRA reverse lock-out rule compliant

Here's a video I found from last year as well which shows the lighting: http://www.revver.com/video/952062/t...o-at-pri-2007/. I'll be putting up a Tacobill style writeup when I perform the install next weekend. wish me luck!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails  TCI AUTO SHIFTER-tci-shifter-1.jpg    TCI AUTO SHIFTER-tci-shifter-2.jpg    TCI AUTO SHIFTER-tci_shifter001.jpg    TCI AUTO SHIFTER-tci_shifter002.jpg    TCI AUTO SHIFTER-tci_shifter003.jpg  

Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 AM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

wow..looks quite different from the prototype pictures...I am still really interested in getting it tho. I have a few questions on how it works tho.

It says 3, 2, 1 on the thing does that mean you can only ratchet threw those three? or is there like ratchet mode, drive, neutral...etc.??
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Here's the explanation Doug provided me.

"You simply pull back on the lever in front of the shifter to remove it from park and it will normally go down through Reverse, Neutral, and into Drive, then from there it will ratchet down each gear from 3rd to 1st and once you are in first it will ratchet up to Drive. Once you are in Drive you will have to pull the lever back again, the one in front of the shifter, to get it to go into reverse and neutral."

There is one button on the side for O/D, the other side is machined to match the OD button so it looks symmetrical.

Tim
Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
flyingbrian1

What's the cost for one of them?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:53 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I paid $449.

The factory shifter is crap, and one of the car's worst features IMHO. My car has only 20K on it and already the paint is wearing away and the black plastic track is all scratched up. It even sounds cheap. I also have a horrible habit of hitting neutral when slamming the thing into drive (after manually downshifting to be in the right gear for say, a nice pull against Dad's CTS). I figure it’s only a matter of time before I get all the way to reverse and leave the transmission on the road!

Granted the thing costs an arm and a leg, but for a high quality and unique looking shifter (great at shows) that provides some assurance I won't dump my tranny, I'm all over it. I think it will really bring some fun to the car clicking through the gears for some casual driving. There’s also the stick/auto factor, no one ever gives you crap for having an automatic if they see a drag shifter in the car!

Tim
Old 12-21-2008, 03:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

cool... all that's needed now are manual valve bodies.

(-:

Quick Reply: TCI AUTO SHIFTER