Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI w/tune: FRPP vs. Brenspeed vs. Bamachips vs. ???

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI w/tune: FRPP vs. Brenspeed vs. Bamachips vs. ???

According to my butt dyno, Brenspeed pulls harder than any other tunes I tried (Bamachips, VMP, Ford Racing.)

I like the Steeda intake with Saleen tube. Takes about 15 minutes to switch back to the stock airbox.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
gas_meet_foot
1st Gear Member

According to Ford, the FRPP power pack (and therefore just the CAI/Ford tune part) of their "power" pack is 50-state legal, so you should be good. Photos I have seen of the FRPP intake up-close include a CARB sticker. You will only have 1 tune for that intake (91 octane, no switching or tweaking), but you will be compliant and under warranty.

As for the other tuner/intake combos, they will certainly be more flexible, but usually an intake with a company's tune will not carry CARB clearance because a tuner isn't going to pay to re-cert a tune (even a mail order one) for every tweak.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

FRPP is a HUGE waste IMO......that package is like $800 some odd dollars right? This summer I'm going for the JLT2 intake/X-cal tuner from Brenspeed $550. Im loooking to get that setup with the Brenspeed 93 tune/Steeda UDP's...I have dealt with Brenspeed before when I got my Mac mufflers (which are awesome BTW) and the service/quality was A+.....thats why Im going with them as well.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I know alot of people dont like the AEM Brute Force CAI but I have it and love it. Sure, it gives up some ponies compared to the others, but alteast it is CARB approved and I would rather have that piece of mind . I also have the B A M A 91 Torq tune. Together they rock!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mynameismike65

FRPP is a HUGE waste IMO......that package is like $800 some odd dollars right?

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Want to hear mine? I paid $1362 total (incl. labor + tax) for the FRPP and it was the best $1362 I've ever spent.
Throttle lag: almost completely gone.
Shift points: firmer and higer revs (6250 now).
Power: definitely more.
GTA axelbacks with 4 inch tips: awesome!!!
Warranty worries: NONE for 3 years!

Can you get slightly more h.p. for less $$ with the usual aftermarket folks like Brenspeed? Sure you can. But I'm as happy as could be with my FRPP setup, and sleep like a freakin baby knowing that I kept my full 3 year factory warranty- which I already needed to use to repair a leaky tranny seal that would otherwise have cost me Big Bucks.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

But I'm as happy as could be with my FRPP setup, and sleep like a freakin baby knowing that I kept my full 3 year factory warranty
I still have my full 3 year factory warranty too. And my CAI has a big twin screw supercharger attached at the other end. If you work with the right dealer they do not mess with your warranty, especially on things like a CAI or axlebacks.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Oh you should research the 5R55s because many people think that they have a front seal leak but the tranny has a breather vent that dumps fluid right in the bell housing/torque converter area.
I have seen several dealers that do not even know this. Most automatics will spit fluid on the ground after driving them hard through this breather.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

So did you buy your FRPP new with the car? That is the only way they come with the 3 year 36 month warranty, purchase any time after you take delivery and the warranty drops to 12 months 12,000 miles. (http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp)

I'm kicking myself that I didn't walk across the street to GAS before I took delivery at Galpin.

Martin
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhconley

So did you buy your FRPP new with the car? That is the only way they come with the 3 year 36 month warranty, purchase any time after you take delivery and the warranty drops to 12 months 12,000 miles. (http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp)

I'm kicking myself that I didn't walk across the street to GAS before I took delivery at Galpin.

Martin

I didn't buy it when my car was ordered/delivered, but did get it before I had 1000 miles on the odometer- which was good enough for Ford to preserve the 3 year warranty (got it in writing of course- I wasn't born yesterday!).
In fact, I couldn't have ordered it with the car, because the dealer I ordered it from was not an authorized Ford Racing dealer.
Fortunately for me, there just happened to be such an authorized dealer about 25 minutes away from my house- otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to keep my warranty.

You might also want to check out the "FRPP RACING PACK" thread which I noticed is (back) in the 2005+ section today.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

According to my butt dyno, Brenspeed pulls harder than any other tunes I tried (Bamachips, VMP, Ford Racing.)

I like the Steeda intake with Saleen tube. Takes about 15 minutes to switch back to the stock airbox.
It's easy to make a tune feel "faster".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI w/tune: FRPP vs. Brenspeed vs. Bamachips vs. ???