Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stock GT tuned for premium fuel?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stock GT tuned for premium fuel?

I'm not personally looking to run 93 gas with the stock tune instead of 87, just wondering if anyone else had heard/read this before. I think what the guy who posted it on another forum wastheorizing was that Ford tells you it's fine to run on 87 gas because they'll sell more cars that way, but the car will actually put down more power running 93. Kinda how back in the day manufacturers would understate HP so that insurance costs would be less $$$. I suppose the only way to test this theory would be to dyno the same car on 87 and 93 and see if there is a measurable difference in RWHP. Wonder if anyone has done that?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: mhconley

My dealer told me my 2008 GT was tuned to run on regular gas - 87 octane here in California. He said putting premium in the tank was a waste of money.

Martin

All in how you look at it I suppose. Say you used Shell V power with 5 times the detergents in it than what the govt, demands. It may......MAY keep carbon build up out of the spark plug area and save you a future head being pulled. V power is rated to actually clean deposits out, not just keep them from forming.
I agree i have always ran V power even before tuning....yes its 93 and might not see gains but the quality of the gas is much better IMO.

And yes getting a CAI and tune is not hype.....read the 104523452345 other threads about how pleased people are with the tunes

Most folks don't bother with 93 until the tune. I wonder if the statement is true, and all we would have needed was to put 93 in there and the computer does the rest?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it would be interesting to find out. I don't really see how it could make a difference, but we'll see.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the car i am sure can adjust a little but not enough to get good gains.....remember there is alot to play with in a tune like tables and such that the stock tune will not change without the tunes that are provided by brenspeed or Bamachips
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

So with those tunes are you actually getting a gain of some kind (HP&TQ) over 87 or are you just able to burn the fuel without problems?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I don't have a custom tune, but I will run 93 next time I fill up and if there is any change in my normal fuel economy, that would mean something is changing.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm gonna run this tank empty and switch to 93 tune. I won't be able to tell much difference in the driving I'm sure. But the fuel eco numbers will speak for themselves if there's a difference.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: mhconley

My dealer told me my 2008 GT was tuned to run on regular gas - 87 octane here in California. He said putting premium in the tank was a waste of money.

Martin

All in how you look at it I suppose. Say you used Shell V power with 5 times the detergents in it than what the govt, demands. It may......MAY keep carbon build up out of the spark plug area and save you a future head being pulled. V power is rated to actually clean deposits out, not just keep them from forming.
I agree i have always ran V power even before tuning....yes its 93 and might not see gains but the quality of the gas is much better IMO.

And yes getting a CAI and tune is not hype.....read the 104523452345 other threads about how pleased people are with the tunes
The OP specifically mentioned STOCK. Of course an 89, 91 or 93 octane tunewith that grade will boost performance. I was referring to stock.

I know Shell V-Power is only in their premium grade, that's why I use Chevron -they put their detergents, Techron, in all their gasoline grades.

Martin
Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a custom tune, but I will run 93 next time I fill up and if there is any change in my normal fuel economy, that would mean something is changing.
That would be an interesting experiment. My caronly has 400 miles on it so I think I'll let it break in a little longer before looking at fuel economy. I know I tried several tanks of 91 octane premium in my 2002 Taurus with the 3.0L Duratec 24Vand got considerably worse gas mileage. I'm talking 20% worse than it got on 87 octane -<22 vs.27+. I was quite surprised. Now if economy was what motivated me I'd have bought the Civic I test drove. I crave the V8 rumble and thrust against my back.[sm=devilgrin.gif]

When I get my CAI I'll be getting specific tunes for both 87 and 91 octane.

Martin
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Well, I know that if you run a higher grade of fuel in a lower compression engine tuned for lower octane that it can cause spark plug fouling sooner. The fuel doesn't burn off completely and it probably fouls your cats as well. (Read this in owners manual for my truck[&:])

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock GT tuned for premium fuel?