Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stock GT tuned for premium fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default stock GT tuned for premium fuel?

"Actually, the engine is programmed for higher octane and the computer can adjust to different octane levels. It's when you put in 87 octane the knock sensors have to go to work.Quote from KB super install. "Ford has tuned the knock sensors so well to the stock engine that the Spanish Oak is actually programmed with premium fuel ignition and fuel tables, but the car is sold as a regular-gasoline car. That means with regular fuel, Ford is relying on the knock sensors to constantly maintain timing because the computer is trying to run aggressive, premium-fuel spark tables all the time."

I read this on another forum and wanted to get your $.02. Anyone know if there is any truth to the above "theory" that the stock GT tune from Ford is for premium fuel and that they (Ford) are relying on theknock sensors to cause timing to be pulled when running 87 or 89 octane?

And no they were not discussing the Bullitt (I know it has this technology).
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: stock GT tuned for premium fuel?

for the bullit and 09s this might be true.....for 08 and before, yes the car runs just fine on 93 oct and you will have no problems. The computer is not adapting a whole lot for it though.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Best way to dis this is to contant Brenspeed or one of the other tuners to see what the stock timing is set at. If what you suggest is true, it may put them out of business.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

My dealer told me my 2008 GT was tuned to run on regular gas - 87 octane here in California. He said putting premium in the tank was a waste of money.

Martin
Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhconley

My dealer told me my 2008 GT was tuned to run on regular gas - 87 octane here in California. He said putting premium in the tank was a waste of money.

Martin

All in how you look at it I suppose. Say you used Shell V power with 5 times the detergents in it than what the govt, demands. It may......MAY keep carbon build up out of the spark plug area and save you a future head being pulled. V power is rated to actually clean deposits out, not just keep them from forming.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Semi-on this topic. I don't know if its been discussed. But does putting 91/93 octane fuel in the tank and tuning via handheld tuner for that octane actually unleash more power from the engine? Or is it just a waste of time?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: mhconley

Martin

All in how you look at it I suppose. Say you used Shell V power with 5 times the detergents in it than what the govt, demands. It may......MAY keep carbon build up out of the spark plug area and save you a future head being pulled. V power is rated to actually clean deposits out, not just keep them from forming.
I agree i have always ran V power even before tuning....yes its 93 and might not see gains but the quality of the gas is much better IMO.

And yes getting a CAI and tune is not hype.....read the 104523452345 other threads about how pleased people are with the tunes
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

"Actually, the engine is programmed for higher octane and the computer can adjust to different octane levels. It's when you put in 87 octane the knock sensors have to go to work.Quote from KB super install. "Ford has tuned the knock sensors so well to the stock engine that the Spanish Oak is actually programmed with premium fuel ignition and fuel tables, but the car is sold as a regular-gasoline car. That means with regular fuel, Ford is relying on the knock sensors to constantly maintain timing because the computer is trying to run aggressive, premium-fuel spark tables all the time."
Im gonna chime in and say, Ive never heard anything remotely close to this statement before. When I bought my car, it is stated and I was told that the car uses regular gas. Next time I swing by the dealer, Ill ask the shop about this.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I had never heard of anything like that before either. I don't know about anyone else... but my gas cap says regular fuel only.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Yes, in 08 only the Bullitt can adjust timing for the octane levels, all 09 mustangs are supposed to have it, I heard even mid 08's with the glass roof

Quick Reply: stock GT tuned for premium fuel?