Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hope for the 5r55??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hope for the 5r55??

Good news! Since your so good at secrecy, pm me with who killed JFK too OK?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebr

Mark, I am a phone call away with my cam specs from a PI multi disc converter. I was going to break in and tune the car with the new converter and then in a few weeks go for the TCI Super Street Fighter trans they say is good to 750 bhp and was tested on a 690 rwhp car . ( Talked to Brad at TCI today and he said the Street fighter is good to 500BHP and the Super street fighter is good to 750 BHP SF setup is 3500.00 and the SSF is 4200.00 .) This being said the unit you are taking about uses a larger input shaft so this would all be for nothing if I was to go for the new set up you are talking about .So my question is SHOULD I WAIT ? I have not driven my car in 14 mo. do to a BS shop in Dallas (Just serch my posts and you can undrestand my year of hell) and I am so ready to hit the road , but I am going to have to go with your advise on this call as I am on the fence now! Thanks , Billy
I thought you went with a C4 or 4r70?

Anyway, definitely wait. The problem with the 5r55 with big HP like you're going to have is the input shaft. Most guys driving around the street on the stock motor don't really have to worry about the input shaft and their primary concerns are the internals of the trans but in all honesty, the prices for the 'built 5r55' out there are flat out ridiculous. Tony has built 5r55's for guys with the best of everything for half the price. However, when these guys in the 600 rwhp launch the car at the track, they snap the input shaft. NOBODY makes an input shaft for the 5r55 and the one on Larry's new rebuild kit is the ONLY ONE being fabbed for production.

If you want to get the technical on it, I really can't give away too many specs right now but I'll tell you this - one of the main things we discovered when testing the stock input shaft wasn't so much it's 'size' but it's design. It's designed as a two piece actually which makes no sense. This new one Tony has developed is not only MUCH stronger, it is a solid 1 piece design.

Like I said, I'll have a lot of details and specs but I have to wait to get the okay after testing. Sometimes, testing discovers that one weak link is replaced with another and Tony is waiting to be able to say this is a stout all around tranny kit.

Trust me, with the level of power you are going to push, you want to wait a couple weeks to get the info cause you will snap the stock input shaft you get with any kit out there with what you are going to push on the track.

For your particular case, go ahead and call Tony and maybe he can give you some more info. I have PM'd you his phone number. Remind him of this conversation from the thread and tell him I said to call.

Mark

EDIT - Never mind about the 4r70/C4 comment - I confused you with Forensic Steve

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Good news! Since your so good at secrecy, pm me with who killed JFK too OK?
I don't have to PM you -

Everyone knows Allen Dulles was behind it...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Mark I,m going with you on this one and am going to wait, whats another couple of weeks right.I will call tomarrow.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I was saving up for the TCI trans. but this sounds much better, and if it's less money, all the better. You've made my night ,hope it works out.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

tracking
Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Mark this is the AUTO trans right?...I think it is but I want a stronger manual trans damnit....LOL anyway cant wait for the results and to see the prices should the testing pan out for the benefit of all.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
tlt05gt

The input shaft is not bigger so that will not be a problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Yep - 'stronger' and 'better designed' are the key words...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Just so you guys understand, there is a lot more to making the trans strong than merely a better input shaft. The Cervo is primary weak link of the 5r55. What Tony is going to be offering is a full transmission rebuild kit that will turn the 5r55 into a bitchin' and stout tranny.

Like I said, I'll have all the details in a couple weeks and keep you guys informed, but trust me, if you are wanting to beef up your tranny, it is best to wait a couple weeks cause this is seriously big news. The price will be less than HALF of what everything is going for out there and be 10X better.

Quick Reply: Hope for the 5r55??