Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda's Revolutionary “Adaptive Performance Calibration”

Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda's Revolutionary “Adaptive Performance Calibration”

http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_ne...alibration.php

Some thoughts...

Within limits, this is an obvious next step for computer controlled cars. With enough sensors - you should be able to completely "close the loop" and have the car adjust at all times to conditions...

There are a few problems I don't see them overcoming in the near future (more specifically with the array of sensors they have to work with):

1. A very important part of a custom tune is the MAF. The data coming from the MAF has to be "known good", or the rest is crap. Changing the MAF (different type, different range, programmable MAF) to deal with high HP setups will NOT be automatically compensated for.

2. "ideal" is relative to the changes you have in the engine - the "best" timing and "best" A/F are a function of what has been done to the engine, nitrous, turbo, S/C, wild cams.

So, this can work in a fairly narrow range of applications, but once you get outside "the box", you will still need a custom tune...

3. "All aftermarket modifiers have resorted to “trickery'" - BS flag went up there. This gives me a hint as to the intended market - "mild bolt-on". That statement is fair for some quantity of the bolt-ons, but once you get outside "cold-air intake" as a modification this statement is simply not true... Injectors, cmdp, forced induction, cams, etc... All of these required changing the tune to inform it of the changes to the engine - not "tricking" it...

Now back to the MAF, I suppose it is possible that they are trying to work-backwards from the A/F adjustment to refine the MAF table - but to do that you need a wide-band O2 in the loop which isn't present in the system unless you add it...

I personally think this is going to be something beneficial to guys with mild bolt ons.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda's Revolutionary “Adaptive Performance Calibration”

I get "Page Not Found" from that link
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

yep, page not found [&:]
Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Link fixed...[8D]
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

these guys also claim 38 HP from just a CAI/tune....i agree if it works it is best for lightly modded cars, this sounds like the similar technology that the new bullets use.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the link. I read it, it is a neat concept, but will have to see it and see it used and see customer feedback as well as dyno tunes.

Also, the big deal, is if it is what it says it is, doesn't matter to me as they say only works on 2007 and up.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
brian2906
1st Gear Member

This thread also appeared today on another forum, (the mustang source I think) note that it is only for auto transmission cars (there is more info on the Steeda website) also Doug posted an interesting reply. I'll try to find it, and post a link, but his point was that it wasn't a cure all end all.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
brian2906
1st Gear Member

Here is a link to the other forum: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=78114
Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat
these guys also claim 38 HP from just a CAI/tune....i agree if it works it is best for lightly modded cars, this sounds like the similar technology that the new bullets use.

Hey howarmat,

What "guys also claim 38 hp from just a a CAI/tune?"

How would you know if it works or what it will work best on, speculation? IfSteeda has indeed changed the way the actual program worksyou have no idea what it can do except that they are limited by the lack of wide band O2 sensors in howeasily the adaptive program can find their target A/F ratio. All the other sensors are already wired into theengine and ECU. As a person with some engine control management programing experience on Bosch systems I can tell you that even being limited tonarrow band O2 sensors if you have the processor memory and some time to sample the O2 sensorsat WOT you can get close to your target A/F ratio. Over time there is no reason that an adaptive system could not develop a reasonably good set of assumptions about a particular engine given a reasonbly narrow set of beginning points. Itrequires more memory and some time to get enough data pointsto produce a good set of parameters but I've never see a reason whyit could not be done this way. The resulting active "tune" would be just as good or better as anycustom dyno tune without the need to goback to the dyno to make adjustments as the engine package is changed. If you were serious about it though you would need to close the control loop with a pair of wide band O2 sensors andsome sort of initial tuning mode to get the best possible starting point for the adaptive program.

HTH!

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

A quote from my friend cekim on another site I found very good...

Ford didn't leave much on the table WRT to sensitivity, they left "range" on the table. That is they focused the allowable range of "trim" to something smaller that we need to allow for big mods which would take it outside the "trim". Not to mention the PCM has to "adapt" to those changes - so it blows up the first time you floor it because it has not offset the trim values? That and when you pull the battery, it starts "learning" again...

Point being that you can improve the basic tuner process here with some feedback no doubt, but a "revolution" it isn't... For that you would need to re-write spanish oak all-together (and have some wideband sensors in the loop... ).

For anyone doing serious mod work, without a wideband in the loop, this can't provide better results than a tuner with a good library of mod combinations vs tune changes... A good custom tune will general go one step beyond that again to account for specific "quirks" of your car...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steeda's Revolutionary “Adaptive Performance Calibration”