Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Because I'm still confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
GTtorch06
1st Gear Member

Default Because I'm still confused

what makes the MAC Performance 2005 GT Stainless Steel Straight Shot Air System so cheap compared to the Airaid 2005+ Mustang GT Intake System
and what about the MMR GT Annihilator Intake Kit w/ HIGH FLOW INTAKE TUBE

are these all cai, or am I really lost?

Basically, i have 300 dollars, I figure i should buy the cold air intake first. then once I get some more money I will buy the tune as well.
I would love the most bang for the buck (but who doesnt really)
and i would sorta like to keep under the hood looking nice

easy installation would also be a HUGE plus..... anyone with prior experience want to lead me in the right direction?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: Because I'm still confused

i think most people would recommend saving your money and getting a JLT2+tune for most bang for the buck.. most good CAI require a tune or it will screw up your car's computer and put it in that limp mode or saftey mode.. whatever its called.. some people buy the K&N air filter that doesn't require a tune.. but it doesn't do much compared to the others..
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

Actually the K&N CAI does suprisingly well without a tune. It gains a few moreHP and LB-FT with a tune and then it only falls a few HP andLB-FTshort of the best, JLT and C&L. See this CAI comparo in 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ck_airbox.html. If you only have $300 to spend a K&N without a tune is an excellent choice. Then you can decide later if you want to spend another $350 foir a tune to gain a couple of HP/LB-FT or spend the money elsewhere. K&N has the added bonus of being CARB legal in California.

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

sadly those gains are not usual....many people have use the no tune CAI and gotten very smalls gains and then kick themselves for not getting a better CAI.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Get the tuner and tune first. Then when you have more $$$ buy a good intake and get an updated tune for it (for no additional costs in most cases.)

Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

I bet you're even more confused now...

I am, too. Too much conflicting data andtoo many opinions.

K&N, C&L, JLT, Steeda, FRPP, Airaid, DeMolet, Western Motorsports, Modular Depot, no tune, canned tune, semi-custom tune, dyno tune, Brenspeed, BamaChips, VMP, etc.... [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

That's why I am glad I have the money to do this theright way.

The right wayis buy the intake you like - test after test shows they are all pretty similar in terms of HP & torque gains (regardless of anyones opinion) - take your car and the intake to a local trusted (i.e., recommended) dyno shop and haveYOUR CARdyno tuned.

That is what I am doing. [sm=signs007.gif]

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Bob, I suggest putting the $300. in a Jar, and when you have the rest saved. Call Brenspeed and get yourself the Airaid/Tune he offer's, you'll love it!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

alright.. to answer one of your first questions: the mac might be cheaper because it looks like a much narrower tube, probably has little to no R&D done to maximize gains... it looks much smaller than other intake tubes so you probably wont be getting as much airflow..although i could be wrong.. maybe it performs great.. or I might be looking at a different one..

the air raid is probably a good one, looks nice.... if you like it.. get it.. some people get the JLT2 because its cheaper and performs as well as the best.. I got the Steeda because I'm planning on getting a saleen supercharger in a year or 2 and wanted a CAI i could use with it.

for tunes.. definetly get a tune.. maybe even first.. the tune made a huge difference.. you might get a local dyno tune that works great.. if you can find someone in your area that other 05+ mustang owners say is great then I'm sure you'll be pleased... if you want to get an intake+tune combo brenspeed, bamachips are both great options.. I've heard FRPP is good, but you'll hear less recomendations for them...