Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinion on Whipple install cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Live Wire
1st Gear Member

Default Opinion on Whipple install cost

I am unfortunately not a wrencher so this is totally outside my comfort level and I'll have to pay to have it installed. For $7500 from a very reputable installation shop in my area, this is what you get installed:

Whipple H.O Twin Screw Supercharger
Massive Water-to-Air Intercooler
Oversized Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
Cast Aluminum Long Runner Intake Manifold
95mm Mass Air Flow Meter
Cold Air Intake System with 9" S&B Filter
Larger Capacity Fuel Injectors
KB Boost-A-Pump
Custom Dyno Tune
Professional Installation

Expected performance gains:

2007 Mustang GT Manual - Stock Baseline - 271.7 RWHP / 289 RWTQ
After Installing the Whipple (no other mods) - 459.8 RWHP / 426.3 RWTQ

I don't mind spending the money if it's a fair deal but wanted a more experienced opinion. Besides the 3:55 gears, everything else is stock on my GT. Will I need to upgrade anything else to accomodate this considerable increase in HP?

Thanks for reading,
-LW
Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Opinion on Whipple install cost

i don't like the deal.

from your parts list, it looks like they are buying
a tuner kit and selling you surplus items like
injectors and the kb bap.

pass on this one and keep looking
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

At that power level, you should stick with the GT500 fuel pumps.

Just get the complete Whipple HO kit for $5400-$5700 from lethal performance or HCM, and get it installed for $1000.
You end up paying less for a more efficient overall system.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

I am unfortunately not a wrencher so this is totally outside my comfort level and I'll have to pay to have it installed. For $7500 from a very reputable installation shop in my area, this is what you get installed:

Whipple H.O Twin Screw Supercharger
Massive Water-to-Air Intercooler
Oversized Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
Cast Aluminum Long Runner Intake Manifold
95mm Mass Air Flow Meter
Cold Air Intake System with 9" S&B Filter
Larger Capacity Fuel Injectors
KB Boost-A-Pump
Custom Dyno Tune
Professional Installation

Expected performance gains:

2007 Mustang GT Manual - Stock Baseline - 271.7 RWHP / 289 RWTQ
After Installing the Whipple (no other mods) - 459.8 RWHP / 426.3 RWTQ

I don't mind spending the money if it's a fair deal but wanted a more experienced opinion. Besides the 3:55 gears, everything else is stock on my GT. Will I need to upgrade anything else to accomodate this considerable increase in HP?

Thanks for reading,
-LW
Not good at all. I'd recommend buying the Whipple HO kit from a reputable dealer like Lethal performance and getting it installed by a different shop. It shouldn't cost more than $1200 for an install, which would bring you in under $7K. If you can read instructions and turn a wrench, I'd just install it yourself. I didn't run into any problems with my install. Some of it was tedious, but two days work saved me the cost of installation, and I learned a lot more about my car in the process.

Also, hammeron is right. They are selling you a whipple tuner kit with inferior surplus parts (The KB boost a pump does not compare to the GT500 dual fuel pumps that come with the whipple HO kit) in order to save themselves money.

Lastly, if you're located anywhere near new orleans, I'll install it for a grand.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

That's really high. I just got an estimate to have one installed. It was $5,600 for the Whipple and $800 for the install. That's $1,100 under your estimate. Why would they go with Kenne Bell boost a pump instead of the GT500 pumps that are included, to save money, what else have they cut corners on?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Live Wire
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I wasn't aware that the Whipple kit comes with everything they list... I assumed those were all additional parts that are needed.

Considering they are rating close to 500rwhp, I assume this is the same 500HP kit sold on fordracing.com (M-6066-M11P7) ? If so I might inquire at local dealers for their cost to install.

Will the stock exhaust and rear end be able to handle this? Thanks again
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yes the base whipple HO package covers everything you need to support 500+ crank hp. Any good shop should be able to install it in a day or two for $800-1000.

As far as going to a dealer I would avoid it and find a good performance shop. Post where you are and I am sure someone can name a good shop.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Live Wire
1st Gear Member

I'm in the Metro Detroit area and that list came from one of the more respected shops (Livernois).

Is the hesitation with the dealer lack of experience? I guess the only thing gained at the dealer is the 1yrwarranty.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

You only get a one year warranty on the non-intercooled kit, which isnt worth it in my opinion.

Yes the techs at a dealership are generally not as knowledgable about performance parts as a aftermarket shop and thier labor charging is very high.

Call Livernois and see what they would charge to install a regular Whipple HO kit. I want to say MRT is there too and well known. I live in FL so I am not help but there must be hundreds of good shops in your area. Ask around.

Find your local mustang club and ask them for their recommendation.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Hate to change the scope of this conversation a little but how are you guys getting such good deals on whipples? i havent been able to achieve anything under 5800. I am looking for the 10psi complete kit

Quick Reply: Opinion on Whipple install cost