Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger question for auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger question for auto

ORIGINAL: modaddict

My advice is to try to take some rides in both and see the difference for yourself.

A good idea is to get aquainted with a local car club to get some info and rides in other set-ups.
Do you live within a time zone or two of Brenspeed? I know he as at least one blown test car that he offers test drives in.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

I have an auto and I went with Kenne Bell... From what everyone told me... It was the obvious choice... Good luck on yours
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RED121572

My advice is to try to take some rides in both and see the difference for yourself.

A good idea is to get aquainted with a local car club to get some info and rides in other set-ups.
Do you live within a time zone or two of Brenspeed? I know he as at least one blown test car that he offers test drives in.
If you can get to him and run his test car it is very helpful. It is what sold me on going with the Paxton set-up. Mostly street driven for me and I have no trouble getting power when needed. I will visit the track a few times this year to mess around so I'm hoping to see low 12's. Brent is now doing Saleen as well but has a ton of experience with Paxton so I would reach out and give them a call to get their input as well.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

it all depends on what you want to acheive. as modaddict stated, try to find someone locally who has a s/c stang if possible and drive or ride in it. I know that is not always an available choice. it was not in my case, a little over a year ago I was looking into the same thing. I had no intentions of getting a supercharger when I did but the cards just fell right one day and I took the plunge. TS vs Centri is really not what I think you are looking for yet rather what will you like best in your DD. with that being said all I can give you is my personal opinion with what I drive with. I have a saleen and love it. I drive my son to school and scouts allot and never go into boost. if I want boost, I get boost. All based on how I mash the pedal. I have been driving with my power for about a year now and outside of a few extra dollars in the gas tank , once and awhile, (Based on pedal mashing, not less fuel efficiency) have had no issues. my tran is still stock and I live in the hot florida sun 365 days. overall you will need to decide what you want for your car as far as power, limits, use of vehicle etc. Once you do that you can narrow it down to TS, Centri. Then you have to throw in , what can you afford or are willing to spend on this mod...and finally what look under the hood do you want. then you can truly say, I think I want this one...personally dont just limit yourself to the Saleen TS, there are options out there if you go ts...shop around...wait for the deal you want and it will happen for you...any of the 3 ts are great S/Cer's....the centris are beasts too, but again, it all depends on what you are looking for....if you are looking , which one is safest for my stock internals and stock trans. well again that depends heavily on the tune....and also what YOU consider safe....remember...any power adder you are changing the power that your car was designed to leave the ford plant with. so no one anywhere can guarantee you will be safe with this set up or that one....all you can do is take as many precautionary measures to make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. not trying to worry you, but dont be fooled into that if you use Supercharger brand A or Type A then your transmission will last forever and engine never has any worries...that would be a misleading statement....however...it comes down to your willingness of risk vs rewards and where you lie in that area....good luck....for my vote I would state TS....but thats just my biased opinion. ....
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

RE:cheftjpeck:

All I really want is the most horsepower (usable) out of a SC kit,something to smash on the
local ricers as well as something pretty civilized for daily driving and the long haul (road trips)
lol the only REAL reason I want the paxton is overall HP numbers and that's kinda about it..
umm..480whp with modest boost levels lol sounds good to me!

I just have this impression that the saleen s3 will just break the tires loose with very little
regard and that's about it,all that low end torque sounds fun as a novelty but spinning tires
don't exactly win races lol.

On the highway though the paxton seems like the better choice because of power delivery,
plus the price is very doable for a SC kit...did i mention how bad *** it looks under the hood?
I seen a few vids of the paxi in action and though not the best point of view of the camera it does look like it hauls ***...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Yes, on a T/S no WOT=no boost. If you go WOT you get almost full boost at 2000rpms.

Personally for a street car (DD) with an auto I would defineatly go t/s. It will work the best with your stock gears and tight converter. The car will have more power every where on the tach. Also since you cant really control your gear or how the tranny shifts power ever where is good. To get the most out of a Centri you have to spin the motor to higher rpm's to make boost. With a manual it is easier to keep it in the sweet spot.

The reason people recommend centri's for track work is that at the track you are always at WOT and running the car to redline. On the street you will generally short shift so with a centri you will never see peak boost.

With my t/s I can short shift easily but still make full boost, this keeps me from having to run it to redline to make power. At the end of the day high revs kill motors faster than mileage.

Thats my 2 cents.

wouldn't a tune and shifting manually make a difference though ,even with an auto??
not all the time but say when passing on the freeway or whenever I needed a boost?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Heavyg72

If you can get to him and run his test car it is very helpful. It is what sold me on going with the Paxton set-up. Mostly street driven for me and I have no trouble getting power when needed. I will visit the track a few times this year to mess around so I'm hoping to see low 12's. Brent is now doing Saleen as well but has a ton of experience with Paxton so I would reach out and give them a call to get their input as well.
awesome numbers with your paxton,what are the chances of just bolting it up to a stock
car and getting similar numbers? also do you reccomend a TCI/gears (3:90) or will the stock be enough?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

awesome numbers with your paxton,what are the chances of just bolting it up to a stock
car and getting similar numbers? also do you reccomend a TCI/gears (3:90) or will the stock be enough?
You should be able to get those numbers or very close to it. Outside of the gears mine was stock...no headers, stock mid-pipe and just Flowmaster AB's. I highly recommend doing the torque converter to start as it's a huge benefit for the auto. I would hold-off on the gears until the supercharger to see where you stand. Given the power levels I'd keep it at 3.73 max but that is my opinion. You won't have to shift manually in the auto...mash the gas and hold on and keep it straight! If you live close, we can test it out.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

You should be able to get those numbers or very close to it. Outside of the gears mine was stock...no headers, stock mid-pipe and just Flowmaster AB's. I highly recommend doing the torque converter to start as it's a huge benefit for the auto. I would hold-off on the gears until the supercharger to see where you stand. Given the power levels I'd keep it at 3.73 max but that is my opinion. You won't have to shift manually in the auto...mash the gas and hold on and keep it straight! If you live close, we can test it out.
thanks for the offer..but I am all the way up here in AK lol.
I think the most I will do is the TCI torque converter/deep oil pan and tranny cooler for the auto
I thought about manual valve bodies but I think the only option is full manual VBs from what I hear requires shifting ALL the time..nah,it's okay lol.The gears are actually drivable which is
a nice suprise because alot of the autos i have driven they weren't all that great.I really like 3
in this car when I need to pass on the highway.

hmm..I am pretty sure I am going with the paxton now..with the total whp numbers,price and asthetics of it all,I really like it over the saleen s3.Pretty sure the most after that is full exhaust
and that's about it..simple brute power,no fuss ,no BS.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

thanks for the offer..but I am all the way up here in AK lol.
I think the most I will do is the TCI torque converter/deep oil pan and tranny cooler for the auto
I thought about manual valve bodies but I think the only option is full manual VBs from what I hear requires shifting ALL the time..nah,it's okay lol.The gears are actually drivable which is
a nice suprise because alot of the autos i have driven they weren't all that great.I really like 3
in this car when I need to pass on the highway.

hmm..I am pretty sure I am going with the paxton now..with the total whp numbers,price and asthetics of it all,I really like it over the saleen s3.Pretty sure the most after that is full exhaust
and that's about it..simple brute power,no fuss ,no BS.

+1 on the deep oil pan. I did have that installed when I did the Paxton. I think you'll be happy with the results. All SC's are great!

Quick Reply: supercharger question for auto