Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

08 BULLITT Mac or JBA L/T'S

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM
08Bullitt215
1st Gear Member

Default 08 BULLITT Mac or JBA L/T'S

I have a 2008 BULLITT #215 and i am in love with my car!I dont want to ruin the car by putting a bunch of add ons and tear the car up but i want to give it a little more umphh. Ive been wanting to put som l/t's on itand keep the original exhaust tips so i dont ruin the bullitt look. Whatever i do to it, i will keep the original parts (of course) i like the bullitt's sound, the exhaust sounds great but not quite loud enough for me. So ive narrowed my headers to MAC'S AND JBA'S. Will they fit properly? Do i need a tuner? Any additional info would help... Either way im going to do something, i just want to do it right.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
ShadowMaster

Default RE: 08 BULLITT Mac or JBA L/T'S

Bassani. Sorry...I wouldn't use either of the choices you listed.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
08Bullitt215
1st Gear Member

Really why's that?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I had macs before i moved to borlas. I bought the kit from brenspeed.com Its like $928 for mac longtubes & mac o/r prochamber. I loved the sound setup. But i got a super deal on the borla kit i have for only $900. So i dynod the car with the mac setup and the borla setup & then borla setup more 8 more hp then the mac setup. If you go with the borla setup i have its like $1,182.00 from summitracing.com There all stainless steel where macs are ceramic coated.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I wouldnt touch the exhaust, get some pulleys, 1 pc driveshaft maybe get a better tune from Bamachips or brenspeed....that should give you some extra get up and go more so than the headers will.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I understand most of the BULLITT sound comes from the H pipe, It may not sound as good as you might think messing with it?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08Bullitt215
I have a 2008 BULLITT #215 and i am in love with my car!I dont want to ruin the car by putting a bunch of add ons and tear the car up but i want to give it a little more umphh. Ive been wanting to put som l/t's on itand keep the original exhaust tips so i dont ruin the bullitt look. Whatever i do to it, i will keep the original parts (of course) i like the bullitt's sound, the exhaust sounds great but not quite loud enough for me. So ive narrowed my headers to MAC'S AND JBA'S. Will they fit properly? Do i need a tuner? Any additional info would help... Either way im going to do something, i just want to do it right.
Hi 08Bullitt215,

I like the old school sound of the JBA long tubes with the matching JBA catted H-pipe and a stock exhaust. The LT's and high-flow cats add just enough rumble to make it sound great and still be an all day daily driver. The JBA LT's also improve your ground clearance as all of the tubing is tucked up inside the frame rails and uses a modern slip-joint and wide clamp band, nothing hangs down like a lot of long tube headers and matching mid pipes. JBA LT's are stainless steel and I highly recommend the Ti coating as it really cuts down on under hood temps even when sitting still and keeps the heat energy in the exhaust flow. But you need to know that no long tube headers sold even if you add the cated H-pipe will technically be smog legal in any state.

Whatever you do keep an H-pipe in your exhaust as the Mustang and in particular the Bullitt exhaust was designed to sound best withan H-pipe. I'm runninga Magna FlowTru-XPipe withhigh-flow cats and I have had several large chambered and straight through rectangular mufflers and also several race style"cans" or cyclindrical type silencers and none of them have ever sounded as good aswhen I had the stock catted H-pipe and stock or FRPP M5230GTA rear mufflers in the car. I keep the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe for the power it makes with the JBA shortys which here in California makes for a legal exhaust system that nearly matches (withing a couple of HP), thepower of most long tube header/downpipe combinations.

Keep your stock CAI and get it tuned right, there is probably 10-12RWHP left in it. Install things that improve your parasitic losses on the front of the engine which are easy to remove and replace like the crank damper andadd a Meziere electric water pump. Betweenthe tune and front engine dressitems there are about 20RWHP. Combine these with the 15-20RWHP of the JBA long tubes and catted H-pipeyourpony will feel be feeling her oats.

HTH!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the Bullit have different software in the PCM? A different strategy code or something - I know I read something about this. I have no idea if what the rest of us think of for a Tune (HP gains, etc) will hold true for the Bullit but its something to look into if you do consider getting a new Tune.

Lots of guys have both the Mac and the JBA long tubes and are happy with them. Like F1fan points out, the JBAs are noted for their rumble. The fit should be the same as the GT. Yes you will need a revised tune to get the max out of them (at least the GTs do.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

For a bullit ... I woulnt get something else than a CaI + tune and NO MORE ! Rather keep it as stockish as possible, and a CaI + tune is the best hp for the buck, easy install and uninstall.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
duke_r2
1st Gear Member

+1 on the pulleys...You buy the Bullit for what it is...the Bullit...The pulleys would be low key w/ the extra umph you want w/o changing the Bullit its self to drasticly.

Quick Reply: 08 BULLITT Mac or JBA L/T'S