Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

so what can I expect for the $$ going from 8 to 10 psi on my saleen

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: so what can I expect for the $$ going from 8 to 10 psi on my saleen

I didnt vote because only you can decide if its worth it. I would say you could expect about 40 more rwhp more than you have now. I do think that you would notice it, but would it blow your mind, probably not. I believe the GT-500 pumps are a great mod on thier own as I am not a fan of the BP. Sure any electric motor, you double the voltage you double the output, but cut the life in half. Thats scary in regards to fuel but thousands of people use it everyday and appears to work fine so who knows.

I would recommend an electric water pump over the pulley. For one thing, one less pulley is good, and two I have been told by CK that you can drive your car for 40 miles before you battery gives out without a belt on the car. That could get you home or at least a better part of town if you throw a belt and cant get another one on the car.

You also have to think about your auto trans. IMO you are right on the edge of what I would call safe for a stock trans. Like was stated another 40rwhp and you are pushing the envelope. If the car is just your DD and you are happy with the power now, I would probably skip it. If you know you want more and damn the consequences I say do it.

I might do just the the GT-500 fuel pumps, electric H2O pump, and an Alum D/S. If you havent yet control arms would be good too.

Oh and you have to come for the Orlando meet next time I want to see your car
Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

I would recommend an electric water pump over the pulley. For one thing, one less pulley is good, and two I have been told by CK that you can drive your car for 40 miles before you battery gives out without a belt on the car. That could get you home or at least a better part of town if you throw a belt and cant get another one on the car.
I would agree with you here if he were running any other supercharger than the saleen, but the saleen benefits from a larger pulley on the stock waterpump due to the location of the boost pulley in relation to the waterpump pulley. A larger waterpump pulley causes a much better wrap around the boost pulley and results in less belt slip.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

TJ,

Please do what I did first. Change the pulley and belt (easy) and get to a dyno. Some stock fuel systems can handle the 10 psi, others can't. If your A/F stays good then it didn't really cost you much. If you run lean it would be about at or over 4600rpm.

If this happens,then look at the partial dyno sheet and see the hp and torque gains up to that point. Thenyou can decide if the difference it worth it to you to get the fuel pumps. I would hold off on the WP pulley for now. First of all, with the right size belt (1075) you should not have slip, at least I don't. But if you do, the swap is easy enough with everything still on the car, and you may need to go back to the 1080 belt you that you should already have on there anyway.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I am only running the 3.8" pulley which is 6.5psi of boost, but went ahead and had the pumps installed and my tunner loved me for it. Gave him plenty of room to play with the numbers, without having to worry about whether or not the pumps could keep up. That might explain my high rwhp numbers with just the 3.8 pulley, I don't know.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey tj, imo no it's not worth it.

if you go to the track, maybe

if it's just a cruiser, no

+1 I've gone from the 8psi pulley to 10 and now back to 8. Yes there is a noticeable difference. It's not quite the difference between warp speed and light speed, but very noticeable. I'm not sure it's worth $1,000, but I have 4.10 gears so that might skew my perception of fast.

You can install the fuel pumps yourself. It takes 3 hours or less. It could easily be done in 1 hour including running the wireing.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I say do it! you can never get enough power!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:00 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i say use the money and do gears and suspension.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

i say use the money and do gears and suspension.
I am leaning towards gears again...albeit I was talked out of it last year as most said that 1st and 2nd would be almost non existent on my car with 3.73....who knows I might do the gears....def. not too hip on the new pulley....again, reason why i think i am selling it...thx everyone...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

3.73's will work out just fine for you, but while you're there, definitely change the diff to a TruTrac. Addinga 1pc driveshaft is a good idea too. And I hope you're still not using the stock LCA's....ah the mods never end!