Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

EXHAUST TRY 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Default RE: EXHAUST TRY 3

The MAC's drone like crazy but do sound good and are loud. Same thing with the stingers. I like me some Corsa's ... best of a lot of worlds but with no drone. I know they're not on your list, but just throwing it out there.

Come to the cruise in MD on April 19 and you can hear a lot of different setups (including the Corsa's).
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

Macs Drone??? Only in like 5th gear and at 50 - 60 mph, when your kinda of lugging the engine up to speed. I think Macs sound really good. Can't wait to get the LT's and Prochamber.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
dieselboy28
1st Gear Member

may i ask what kinda problems you had with a catted X pipe? i tried the o/r x with flows and hated it, sounded like fart cans, now i have the flows with o/r h and love the deep throat and wild sound when getting on it. i have no droan at highway speeds either
Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

There's some big diffrences in opinions on macs droning, some thinks it's horrible others not. I dunno but at least everyone thinks they sound awesome.
Aziraphale what did you think of the stingers? Similar to mac? Also I heard that Corsa is great with no drone but I'm worried they wont sound aggressive enough for me. I'm tired of docile exhaust and while I dont want to be crazy I want something indimidating and I heard the corsa's are mild at idle and cruise

BTW I think I might just have to hit up the MD cruise, not a bad idea; a bit of a drive but I'm sure it would be totally worth it
Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dieselboy28

may i ask what kinda problems you had with a catted X pipe? i tried the o/r x with flows and hated it, sounded like fart cans, now i have the flows with o/r h and love the deep throat and wild sound when getting on it. i have no droan at highway speeds either
You sure can. The O/R X you know why it didnt work haha. As far as the catted X it would not stop leaking. I took it to 3 exhaust shops and no one could figure it out. Around the cats was a spot that was visible and wouldnt leave but this one leak would only sound off on cold starts until the car warmed up then it would disappear. No one (including myself with hours of wrenching) could figure out where this damn thing was coming from. It was very stressful so I had to take it off. Now it's interesting that you tried an O/R X and now run the H. It works out perfect because I've been looking for someone that was in my shoes. How loud is the H compared with the X. On cold start ups the X would roar; Is it the same deal with the H or what. Lemme know man along with anything else you can tell me about it.
Thanks, Scott
Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
dieselboy28
1st Gear Member

i bought a o/r x magnaflow from a guy locally and absolutely hated the sound. i took it to my exhaust guy and told him to cut the s.o.b. out now and weld a H in. mind you its a hand bent H which seemed to give me more low end grunt. its a little quieter at idle and ALOT quieter at highway speeds. theres a little rasp that occurs at about 2500-2700 rpm then a nice deep mellow sound. but when you get on it people know you mean business. all o/r pipes are noisy on start up but quietens down pretty quick. it all mainly stems from the chambers in the flows. if you want good sound and want to let people know you mean business but mellow when you want it i say cut the X out and put a H in its place. just my .02 hope it helps
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Scott,the Pypes Mid-Muffler is a straight-thru muffler.... it doesn't get any louder than that, short of muffler deletes. It will really depend which headers and mid-pipe you're running. As for me, I'm running stock manifolds and an off-road prochamber. It is extremely loud...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Scott,the Pypes Mid-Muffler is a straight-thru muffler.... it doesn't get any louder than that, short of muffler deletes. It will really depend which headers and mid-pipe you're running. As for me, I'm running stock manifolds and an off-road prochamber. It is extremely loud...
I'm sure with an O/R prochamber it kicks ***. How did it sound with stock H and stock manifolds? Alot louder than stock. Can you compare it to mac? lemme know thanks man
Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Sorry Scott, I never had them on the stock midpipe. I actually installed my o/r Prochamber first and at the time I had GTA's on. GTA's are wonderful mufflers but in my opinion sound horrible on o/r setups. Changed to a straight-thru muffler (Pypes MM's) and the sound is near perfection.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I'm on my 6th setup. It takes awhile and $$ to get what you want/

Quick Reply: EXHAUST TRY 3