Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whipple hood hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default whipple hood hot

now w/ the newly installed whipple and no hood liner, the hood is hotter over the whipple. the engine coolant temp and intake air temps are the same as before. this is normal, right?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whipple hood hot

Nothing wrong. Simple physics. The whipple is closer to the hood and why it's a little warmer in that area. Nothing to worry about...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I never touch my hood so I wouldn't know.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

thanks, that's what i was thinking, but nothing wrong w/ a little reassurance.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm actually surprised at how cool the whipple runs. I can beat the hell out of it and still put my hand on the housing after running at WOT. Try that with a KB and you'll end up in a burn ward...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

I'm actually surprised at how cool the whipple runs. I can beat the hell out of it and still put my hand on the housing after running at WOT. Try that with a KB and you'll end up in a burn ward...
+1 my KB was a small nuclear reactor!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

now w/ the newly installed whipple and no hood liner, the hood is hotter over the whipple. the engine coolant temp and intake air temps are the same as before. this is normal, right?
Normal.

I left my hood liner on and only removed a section to clear the whipple, but it is not a big deal.

Engine Coolant cruising should be the same, with heavy driving I think it would peak a little higher, but water wetter is good stuff. I would like a bigger radiator eventually but for 99.9% of the time it is fine.

IAT should be identical as you are still reading them at the MAF just like stock. The should be basically identical to the ambient air temp.

I relocated my IAT and see a 5 deg Fincrease in normal cruising compared to ambient. At WOT I have seen 30 deg F + differences. Doing mulitple back to back pulls it gets alot higher.

Also after I shut the car of and come back and start it up I can see the heat soak in the block and blower. IAT right off the bat is 125 def F.

While I dont think relocating the IAT is super important running 10psi or less on the whipple tune I am really glad I did it, and can really see its benefit when I start to up the power. Plus I have it showing all the time on my aeroforce gauge so if I lose my intercooler pump or something I can see it. Plus I can set a warning to go off it gets really out of hand.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

^^^Very nice set-up
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I will have the exact same set-up. Mechanical Boost & Oil pressure gauges......with the Aeroforce keeping an eye on fuel pressure and IAT temp.
Install starts in 1 week!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

this morning i drove to work 25 miles about 6:30 am ambient temp about 76 degrees, when i got to work the hood was just a little warm, opened the hood put my hand on the SC housing and was only a little warm. i think on that day when the hood was hot it was the middle of the day and ambient temp was 96 degrees, even the trunk was hot, plus my car is black. so in conclusion that day was just a hot day, thats all.

Quick Reply: whipple hood hot