Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

KenneBell Boost a Pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
jadeat

Default KenneBell Boost a Pump ?

Hey guys,

This 05 Saleen I bought already has a BAP installed. I noticed that the dial is set all the way to richest setting. Would this cause bad MPG? I'm only getting like 11 to 12 MPG doing city driving. I'm not boosting that much either. Can I mess with this dial settings for the BAP? How do I know how lean I can go with the setting? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: KenneBell Boost a Pump ?

Honestly, the BAP is only engaged when it needs to be so if there will be any problem with you getting too much fuel it will be at WOT and you'll know it by looking at your A/F to see if your running rich.

Running rich isn't great for performance but it is also a whole better than running lean...lol

The point is - if the car is driving fine now, I wouldn't worry about it.

CK
Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 PM
jadeat

Seems to run fine except in the morning it likes to bog a little until it's warmed up. I just thought I should get like 16 MPG in the city doing normal driving and not much boost. I do get like 25 driving on long trips.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

As with any FI kit - you can drive it all day and never be in boost if you don't want to. Your MPG wil be dictated by how you drive your car - not where your BAP setting is...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

so modaddict..... is it safe to say that
the BAP setting = max potential fuel
pressure and that regardless of the
BAP setting, the PCM is simply
maintaining a certain fuel rail pressure to
achieve the desired a/f ratio?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

The bogging when cold is most likely caused by the car running to rich, if you have a tuner you may want to data log the A/F to see where it is at when the rpm's are low and the car is cold. My car was having a similiar issue and it was the tune.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
jadeat

ORIGINAL: sactown

The bogging when cold is most likely caused by the car running to rich, if you have a tuner you may want to data log the A/F to see where it is at when the rpm's are low and the car is cold. My car was having a similiar issue and it was the tune.
I just had it custom dyno tuned and the A/F was at 11.8. They are not seeing any issues since the car was already warmed up when it went on a dyno.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

OMG thats horrible gas milage. Before my s/c I was getting 14 city with a cai/tune. Now with my s/c and gt 500 fuel pumps I am getting 18 city and thats getting on it more than often... I don't know if its my pump or tune but my mpggot a lot better after the s/c install...

edit- My car also bogs a little on cold start until its warms up
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well 11.8 ain't rich compared to my A/F ratio. I still get 18mpg driving back and forth to work, but that's 5 minutes of 45mph max speed, stopping at stop signs and then 10 minutes of 55-70, then another couple minutes of slow poke driving. On my way home I normally pass atleast one person and it's ***** to the wall!

11-12 sounds bad, but if you are constantly stopping and starting and sitting in traffic then that's probably about right. You can't get decent mileage if you aren't moving.

Since you are getting 25 on the highway i'd think you are fine. The bogging when cold doesn't sound right.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
jadeat

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Well 11.8 ain't rich compared to my A/F ratio. I still get 18mpg driving back and forth to work, but that's 5 minutes of 45mph max speed, stopping at stop signs and then 10 minutes of 55-70, then another couple minutes of slow poke driving. On my way home I normally pass atleast one person and it's ***** to the wall!

11-12 sounds bad, but if you are constantly stopping and starting and sitting in traffic then that's probably about right. You can't get decent mileage if you aren't moving.

Since you are getting 25 on the highway i'd think you are fine. The bogging when cold doesn't sound right.
Well, the computer says I'm getting 15 to 16 but it doesn't calculate when I do the math. I reset all the settings on the computer and drove it down to almost empty and it took 14 gallons to fill up and the computer said I only used 10.1 gallons of fuel. I divided the 14 by my trip miles for that tank and I got 11.2.

Quick Reply: KenneBell Boost a Pump ?