Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Champion Plugs for 3V engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Champion Plugs for 3V engine

Well I don't have motorcraft, i have autolite, but I did pull my motorcraft plugs twice. Once at 10k miles and again at 12k and neither time did I have any problem or hint of a plug breakage. I didn't even use any penetrating oil. Maybe i'm just lucky or maybe the problem is not that wide spread.

How many miles were on your car?

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish anything bad on anybody, but when you pull half a Motorcraft spark plug from your head, that $19 will seem a lot more reasonable. Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt. Best of luck.

An as for Champions not working in Fords, I've used Champion plugs for many years, in many cars including Fords and never had any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Well I don't have motorcraft, i have autolite, but I did pull my motorcraft plugs twice. Once at 10k miles and again at 12k and neither time did I have any problem or hint of a plug breakage. I didn't even use any penetrating oil. Maybe i'm just lucky or maybe the problem is not that wide spread.

How many miles were on your car?

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish anything bad on anybody, but when you pull half a Motorcraft spark plug from your head, that $19 will seem a lot more reasonable. Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt. Best of luck.

An as for Champions not working in Fords, I've used Champion plugs for many years, in many cars including Fords and never had any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

My car had 6 of 8 plugs break off. It had 38,000 miles on it. I broke off 1 plug (yes, I used the Aerokroil). The dealer broke off 5 more. I read 1 post where somebody had 1 or more broken plugs and he only had 20,000 miles on his car.
The Motorcraft and the Autolites look exactly alike. These plugs are a two piece design and only crimped together.
I have a new set of Motorcraft plugs in now, installed with anti-seize. I plan to run them until next fall at which time I will pull them and put in a set of the new, one piece Champions, with anti-seize of course.
When I talked with the service manager at my dealer, I could see he is scared to death at the thought of people coming in with 90,000 to 100,000 miles for new plugs. He said these folks will be buying new cylinder heads.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I'm happy to report that all eight stock plugs came out today without issues. I didn't even need to use penetrating oil or carb cleaner. There was carbon build up on the plugs, but I think my engine is young enough (12,000 miles) that it hadn't had time to cause a problem. I replaced them with the Champion plugs (yes, I'm crazy and paid $18 a plug) and all is running well so far. If I have any of the misfire problems that SCCAGT mentions he's seen with Champion plugs in Fords I'll be sure to let you guys now.

For now, though, my car is running great and I have one less thing I need to worry about.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You guys are paying $18.99 per spark plug? Are you crazy?
Yes, its an expensive plug, but it sure beats the hell out of paying for a head gasket job.

Like I said earlier, Champion plugs have never fared well when used in Fords. Cant explain why, after all its just a spark plug. But every FordI used them in, in my shop, they all came back with misfires, again. It's kind of a known issue among shops. I wont use them in my car. I'll stick with Autolites and anti-seize.
I used Champion plugs several years ago on a '94 F150 I used to own with the 300ci I-6 engine. I installed them in 1999 at about 100K miles and I ended up giving the truck to my dad to use as a work truck four years ago (when I bought my '04 F150). Now the '94 has about 220K miles without any misfires or spark plug problems and has had no major engine work or anything. So hopefully these new Champions will work just as well on Mustangs. I received mine today and will install them this weekend.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Kryten

I received the Champion plugs from sparkplugs.com Friday and installed today. Have 11,000 miles on the car. Factory plugs came out real easy. Just got back from an extended test drive. Verdict? These Champions are performing better that than the stock plugs. Went to start the car (with fingers crossed) and it started faster than it ever has. Had barelyturned the key and whamcar's idling. Shocked me a bit.

Driving was a complete joy. I am running a 93 oct Race tune and the carhasnever felt more aggressive across the entire powerband. I am wondering if it might have been thegap on the factory plugs. The manual indicated the proper gap was .040 to .050. When I measured the factory gap, it was settoat least .050 andeven seemed a bit wider that. I set the Champions at 0.045. Maybe that made the difference.

Don't know about long term, but I am very pleased with today's plug change.The Champions are working like a charm so far.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you put in any new spark plug it will run better than it did before. New plugs are better than used plugs.

Anyone have a pic of these champion plugs? I'd buy some in the future if they cut the price in half and make a colder plug. It really erks me that we have only two options for plugs![:@] Well now three, but $18.99, WTF!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

just ordered mine. $165.88 sucks but id rather not have any issues with snapping plugs. Im not sure what i should do with my car. Should i take it to ford and have them change the plugs or attempt it myself. If they snap one the car should still be under warranty. What do you guys think? I have almost 15,000 miles on my 06 GT.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGLOVER73

just ordered mine. $165.88 sucks but id rather not have any issues with snapping plugs. Im not sure what i should do with my car. Should i take it to ford and have them change the plugs or attempt it myself. If they snap one the car should still be under warranty. What do you guys think? I have almost 15,000 miles on my 06 GT.
I replaced my plugs yesterday, with almost 26k miles, with no problems. I follwed the latest TSB and used Motorcraft PM3 Carb cleaner to loosen the carbon. I just took my time and let the carb cleaner do it's thing. The first plug on each head were a little tight but they came out whole. I didn't buy the Champion plugs this time just Autolite HT1's that I found on Fleebay.

And it does seem like my car runs much better and pulls harder.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 AM
johnrehder
1st Gear Member

Hey moosestang, whats the three choices for the rookie here and what are the parts numbers?
New champion plug
Motorcraft plug
Autolite plug?
Any others?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
rpatyna

Is there any performance gain from these??
Rob

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460665

Quick Reply: New Champion Plugs for 3V engine