Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Champion Plugs for 3V engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Champion Plugs for 3V engine

ORIGINAL: johnrehder

Hey moosestang, whats the three choices for the rookie here and what are the parts numbers?
New champion plug
Motorcraft plug
Autolite plug?
Any others?

Thanks!
Those are the three I was thinking of. It's actually 4 if you count the autolite HTO's as a seperate option.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

There is one more, Brisk.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

When did Brisk start making them for our engines?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Don't know, but I know they offer them now.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Replaced my plugs today with the champions, didn't even have to use penetrating oil. Once they broke loose they all turned out by hand, thankfully I did it so soon (8500 miles). They still had some carbon build up but apparently not enough to cause a problem. I also added a can of sea foam to my gas and ran about a half a tank through before hand as well, I don't know if it helped but the can claimed to clean carbon, so I don't think it hurt. Champions are running just a good as stock, if not better, and I do realize that new plugs are always better than used, but mine only had 8500 miles on them so they were pretty new. I feel much more comfortable though now knowing that I have a better designed plugs with anti-seize installed.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Kryten

At 11,000 miles,most of my plugs were fairly clean (very mild rust coating). Theback rear passenger side plug had carbon buildup on half of the plug. That plug was the most resistant. I used the ratchet to make the initial 1/4 turn, sprayed on some carb/intake cleaner (used the valvoline brand), and after 15-20 min turned out the plugs by hand (just to be safe).WIth only 4,000 more miles, I should think you should be fine doing them yourself. Definitely take your time.

After all the Champion plugs were in (anti-sieze applied for safe measure), I tried scaping on the carbon build-up on the on the one plugs for kicks. Tough stuff! Between that and the rusting, I can see how these plugs can getso firmly stuck.

I am hoping over the long haul that these Champions work well. As indicated previously, they are performinggreat.I still think the factory gap was a wee bit too wide. The highly noticable starting and acceleration improvements were sure a sweet and unexpectected bonus. Very pleased andfeelfeel like a weight had been taken off.

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGLOVER73

just ordered mine. $165.88 sucks but id rather not have any issues with snapping plugs. Im not sure what i should do with my car. Should i take it to ford and have them change the plugs or attempt it myself. If they snap one the car should still be under warranty. What do you guys think? I have almost 15,000 miles on my 06 GT.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 AM
cadillo

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

sparkplugs.com shows them for 18.99 each... idk if that means they actually have them in stock...
I just changed out the plugs in my GT with the Motorcraft SP 462, and I see that the 5.4 in my F-150 takes the same plug, but the plugs are so hard to get at on the F-150, that I will hold out and try to get a better price on the Champions. At some point there should be enough of them on the market to bring the price down more in line with the other brands. If someone spots a better deal than what's out there now, please let the rest of us know.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Still cold outside so I took mine to the dealer to have the plugs pulled. I didn't want to try it in 30 degree temps but the dealer just called and said that the plugs were pretty tight but they all did come out without breaking. I just had them put the anti-sieze on the plugs so I can replace them maybe next year after I find out how well the Champions work for all of you. I had 15,000 miles on my car and the tech said it was a good call to do this now.

You have to think they'll be adding Mustangs to that TSB.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences so we can take care of these issues before things really get ugly. [sm=thanx.gif]
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have read at least 4 posts now from guys that have installed the new, one pieceChampion #7989 plugs. Every single one reports they are very happy with the way their cars run, a couple noticed improved starting and more power (of course an engine always runs better with fresh plugs). I know my baby is getting a set this coming fall. $crew those 2 piece Motorcraft & Autoliteplugs.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alanlee112

Still cold outside so I took mine to the dealer to have the plugs pulled. I didn't want to try it in 30 degree temps but the dealer just called and said that the plugs were pretty tight but they all did come out without breaking. I just had them put the anti-sieze on the plugs so I can replace them maybe next year after I find out how well the Champions work for all of you. I had 15,000 miles on my car and the tech said it was a good call to do this now.

You have to think they'll be adding Mustangs to that TSB.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences so we can take care of these issues before things really get ugly. [sm=thanx.gif]

I sure wouldn't have put the same ones back in. Those suckas might come apart on you the second time around.

Quick Reply: New Champion Plugs for 3V engine