Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Technical advice for whipple owners with fuel pressure gauges.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default Technical advice for whipple owners with fuel pressure gauges.

Well, I finally found a creative solution to the age old where-in-the-hell-should-I-mount-my-fuel-pressure-gauge-sending-unit issue.
As all of you whipple owners know all to well, we can't use the fuel rail adapters made for fuel pressure gauges because our intake tube is in a less than ideal location. (Right over the driver's side fuel rail.) My original solution to this problem was to have an adapter milled down at a machine shop to better fit it under the intake tube, but it still rubbed and the intake tube hit the hood, so I was less than thrilled with that setup.

I had both of my fuel rails off of the car for an unrelated reason a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to compare the driver and passenger side fuel rails. It appears that they both start out as identical pieces, and the fuel line intake connection (from fuel pump) and factory fuel pressure sending neck are added to the driver side fuel rail later. On a whim, I bought a driver's side fuel rail and factory fuel pressure sending unit from a member who was parting out a totalled mustang. (Thanks again, Hotairgypsy.)

When I recieved the driver's side fuel rail in the mail, I cut the bracket that holds the fuel intake line to the rail, and I then cut the intake line off. I turned the rail over to a friend who smoothed out the opening where the fuel intake line was, and welded the opening shut. I then installed the fuel rail adapter that was previously onmy driver's side fuel rail onto the new modified fuel rail. I installed the new modified fuel rail inplace of the stock passenger fuel rail, connected the fuel pressure gauge sending unit to the fuel rail adpter, and viola! Fuel pressure gauge installed without having to cut the crossover fuel line or put unnecessary presure on the intake tube.

So basically, if you can find a driver's side fuel rail (there are always S197 GT owners parting them out in the for sale section on this forum), and have access to a skilled welder (I was told the welds on the fuel rail were very difficult), then you can run a fuel pressure gauge without any issues. It looks pretty clean under the hood, and if you don't point out that you're using two driver's side fuel rails, no one will ever notice (despite the fact that there is a factory fuel prssure sender connected to NOTHING on the passenger side).

I realize that all of this may sound confusing, so I'll post some pics of the setup tomorrow when the sun is up.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Technical advice for whipple owners with fuel pressure gauges.

I think i'll just stick to the aeroforce gauge. It shows a jump in fuel pressure at WOT just like a standard fuel pressure gauge would. I'd never trust that weld and the last thing I need is fuel spraying all over the engine compartment.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I think i'll just stick to the aeroforce gauge. It shows a jump in fuel pressure at WOT just like a standard fuel pressure gauge would. I'd never trust that weld and the last thing I need is fuel spraying all over the engine compartment.
Trust me, the weld is good. I have to give credit to Cliff Falgout for being one of the most talented welders I've ever met. I can't even imagine what kind of tools he had to use to make such a beautiful weld in such a tiny location.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i applaud your creativity niner.

[sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I used a N2O adapter on the passenger side, i ordered the adapter and didnt fit too. but tthe N2O adapter works just fine, i'll post some pics later.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Out of curiousity why don't you just tee into the line somewhere else?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

you can do that, but the fuel pressure sender has some weight to it, so the adapter helps support that weight.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha... Wasn't sure cause I haven't done any fuel system mods on mine yet and I know the fuel system on these is a bit different...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajaibr

The only place that you can really tee into the fuel line is in the crossover tube between the two fuel rails, which is something I really didn't want to do for various reasons.

I know I promised pics today, but I had a hectic work day and never got the opportunity. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It's been a while, but I finally got pics. (Crappy camera phone quality, but it's all I got!)