Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD

It's R/D man. If you snooze you loose. These guys are charging $$ but kicking back and getting fat. Speed is like crack, it don't just effect the young it's got old guys by the ***** too. My 60 yr old nieghbor has a KB Lightning and a KB GT500. Think about it, if you can sell something to all demographics then you will be around for more than a while. All T/S S/C will be pushing the envelope if you ask me. It is good all in all though...
I can't wait

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

From what I understand Saleen has a big year in store for 08. I wonder what KB has up its sleeve. I know Jim Bell is bout sick of Whipple right now. All this is good though, cause all it does is force the manufactures to put out better and better products. Seems like just1 yearago KB was gonna beking forever, now the tables are turned.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

But hell maybe the prices will drop if we all keep buying them so everyone can get boosted
Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

replace the $ with an S and the 0 with an o. Mustangforums is blocking it.

http://www.mu$tangw0rld.c0m/ourpics/...DUCT/index.htm
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

That Ram air blower should be pretty spectacular!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sactown

I think our views my differ a little on this. Not to knock the whipple or KB but my guess is you have not seen what Saleen has up their sleeve. The Ram air kit remove most if not all air restrictions from the SC, you may want to give them a call before you upgrade. There is a video posted on youtube somewhere but I did not find it. 20+psi is now possible.
Maybe I'm missing something, but nothing about that kit leads me to believe that 20+ psi will be possible with the saleen. If I'm reading the info right, it's just a new intake on the same blower, and the limiting boost factor for the Saleen is the rotor displacement, not the intake. Maybe I'm wrong...
Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Ok I don't have the exact numbers from Saleen yet, but I will get them. I have asked them twice withno gobecause the Ram Air setup has not been released (June 08 maybe sooner) And I know the websites don't necessarily have the most up to date info, the point I was trying to make was lets wait and see what the Saleen can do before running out and buying the latest and greatest Whipple or KB just food for thought. I think 20psi will be reachable with that new Saleen setup especially if the can get 30psi out of the 2.3 whipple which is the same liter size as the Saleen, but I guess it really doesn't matter to me because my car will never see 20psi.

Here are the whipple numbers off their website.

Model Liters Max RPM Max CFM Max PSI
w140ax 2.3 16000 1274 30
w200ax 3.3140001567 25
w200r 3.3160001518 25
w305ax 5.0 160002770 30
w305r 5.0 16000 2601 30

This is from KB's website
Maximum Recommended Boost
Minimum Fuel Octane Max Boost NON Max Boost Intercooled
91 5 8
92-92 6 9-10
97 Blend 8 11
100 10 14
105 12 17
[align=left]ô€ô€‰ô€Žô€‰ô€ô€•ô€ô€€ ô€†ô€•ô€…ô€Œô€ € ô€ô€ƒô€”ô€ô€Žô€… ô€ô€ô€˜ô€‰ô€ô€•ô€ô€€ ô€’ô€…ô€ƒô€ô€ ô€ô€…ô€Žô€„ô€…ô€„ô€€ ô€‚ô€ô€ô€“ô€”[/align][align=left]ô€Žô€ô€Žô€€ ô€‰ô€Žô€”ô€…ô€’ô€ƒô€ô€ô€ Œô€…ô€„ ô€‰ô€Žô€”ô€…ô€’ô€ƒô€ô€ô€Œô€…ô€„[/align][align=left][/align]
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Just thought I would add one more thought. If I was going to do to my car what moddaddict has done and is doing I would probably go with either a KB or Whipple myself, but I was just thinking it would be interesting to see the numbers between the all 3 SC when the new scoope comes out for the Saleen, because at this point the KB and Whipple are much more capable of making high psi number, and the Saleen is limited to somewhere between 12-15psi.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Nails - No disrespect, but yeah, you're wrong. It's not the rotor displacement that's the limiting factor (the Saleen is 2.3L), it's the intake design of the original unit. Look at the KB chart above, the 2.3 max boost is 30 PSI.. With the Saleen, they flattened out the intake. While this is much more aesthetically pleasing (to some, myself included), it limits the amount of air it can pull. Now if you look at the new design, pictured on the previous page, you'll see that they have completely done away with that flat top on the intake side..

While I definitely think 30PSI would be out of the question due to the rear portion of that intake where it feeds the screws, 20 just might be a real number. Hell, with a decent port/polish job, maybe even 22..

And JDM should have some bigger numbers soon, Mod.. I saw a thread on another forum about JDM fabbing up a sheetmetal intake for these things. Still, it'll be less than what KB and Whipple have currently, but lets be honest here - you are one of maybe two or three guys in the country that are actually pushing those things that hard. MOST people just put it on and call it a day...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I wouldnt cut a hole in my hood if I needed 20 psi, i'd just get a blower capable of doing that from day 1.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:52 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Nails - No disrespect, but yeah, you're wrong. It's not the rotor displacement that's the limiting factor (the Saleen is 2.3L), it's the intake design of the original unit. Look at the KB chart above, the 2.3 max boost is 30 PSI.. With the Saleen, they flattened out the intake. While this is much more aesthetically pleasing (to some, myself included), it limits the amount of air it can pull. Now if you look at the new design, pictured on the previous page, you'll see that they have completely done away with that flat top on the intake side..

While I definitely think 30PSI would be out of the question due to the rear portion of that intake where it feeds the screws, 20 just might be a real number. Hell, with a decent port/polish job, maybe even 22..

And JDM should have some bigger numbers soon, Mod.. I saw a thread on another forum about JDM fabbing up a sheetmetal intake for these things. Still, it'll be less than what KB and Whipple have currently, but lets be honest here - you are one of maybe two or three guys in the country that are actually pushing those things that hard. MOST people just put it on and call it a day...
JDM may be new to releasing to the public, but they have already been using that sheet metal intake on the windveil blue for awhile now. I think what Saleen is doing is pretty cool and will add a lot more portential to the Saleen but I don't think it will be up there with the Whipple and new Mammoth KB kits. The reason why is it is not just a matter of one part to increase flow. A bigger intake doesn't mean anything if the manfiold and TB are still restrictive. Looking at that ram air set-up, the TB and inlet manifold are still going to be the restrictive factor and I honestly believe that yeah, you'll be able to hit 20 psi but you will probably see what the Whipple's and current KB kits see now - and that is you only get about 20 hp more than you do at 18 psi. 18 psi is about where you max out the efficiency of the inlet manfiold because they all flow about 1000 cfm. Honing them out adds about 10% but you are still far short from giving the blower everything it needs to operate in big boost effectively.

That's why whipple has Adam selling their 3.4 kits for them because of his custom inlet manifold, TB, meter, and intake. It takes all of it to work out big boost and if you have a restriction anywhere, then it doesn't matter how big everything else is. I do believe the new Saleen set-up will be comparable to the current Whipples & KB's and be able to be efficient at 18 psi. The reality is though that as Saleen is trying to 'catch up' with everyone else, KB and Whipple are pioneering ahead and looking for more displacement, more flow, and more power.

The truth is that by the time Saleen releases the new kits, they will be right back behind the standard set by whipple and KB yet again. A prime example is by the time the new Saleen is out, Whipple will be selling their 2.9L S197 kits...

I think saleen's mistake is trying to 'catch up' to the competition instead of trying to move ahead of them. With this tactic, they will always find themselves behind IMO.

But the vast majority of blower buyers are going to stay on the stock motor and not get too crazy with their cars so the honest truth is most of this R&D and production by all of the manufacturers are more for 'bragging rights' than anything else. They want to be able to say - "see - we're the fastests" because they know that that plays a big role in the average joe buying a blower. Sure, he will probably never run 30 psi in his car but he wants to buy the blower that's in the mags doing it and know that he's got the same thing under his hood.

It's all business fellas and if it didn't really matter, then they wouldn't be doing it cause there is nowhere enough guys out there wanting this kind of power to warrant doing it. But it DOES matter and they know it plays a BIG role selling the regular blower kits to the public. People want to be associated and have the 'top dog' under their hood and it's has always been and will always be that way. For this reason, you will continue to see the limits constantly pushed and ridiculous power made. If I honestly paid for the majority of my stuff, I wouldn't have had nowhere near the amount of stuff on my car as I do...

All in all, it's cool what Saleen is doing but if I was in charge over there, I would be more interested in EXCEEDING the competition instead of just matching it because the competition is not sitting around either and like I said, by the time saleen catches up, they'll be behind yet again.

Truth be told, the Ford endorsement means quite a bit for the whipple brand as well. It took the whipple a long time to come around. I remember when everybody was pissed cause they never could get a release date together and it seemed as if the kit was never going to come out. That was the time for saleen and KB to take advantage and they did. The truth is, now that the smoke has cleared and the whipple is slamming sales out and getting more and more dominant, I think the whipple is going to be the king of the mountain for a very long time IMO.

Quick Reply: The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD