Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD

Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD

The Whipple 3.4 or the new KB 2.8 HO 'Mammoth' S197 kit...

Next week Adam is going to do the tests and it should be pretty damn accurate since it will be done on my car with identical mods. He is going to compare boost for boost HP, IAT differences, etc. etc.

Truth be told, I'm not committed to anything but power. If the KB proves to be supreme, I'll have no problems leaving it on the car. It's actually going to be cool to have a choice after looking at the numbers. KB's new kit for me is pretty sweet and complete including their own TB, manifold, intake & meter.

Results will be posted in this thread.

The real test is going to be KB's new massive system they've built for me for the 2.8

The problem even adam has been seeing with the 3.4 is the manifold whipple makes only flows about 1000 cfm. So it doesn't matter if you have an 1800 cfm TB and a blower to spin at 1500 if you are only getting 1000 through the manifold. Now Adam's big upgrade kits do give you some because he hones out the manifold and allows it to flow better but it still only increases by about 10% so your limit on all of these s/c combinations is the manifold. This is the reason they all start to tinker out of power after 18 psi.

This new system from KB is pretty frickin' impressive and truly flows 1800 cfm from start to finish. I'm excited about the tests. I have a feeling I will end up using the whipple head unit with everything else KB but we'll see. Perhaps the 2.8 is engineered to maximize it and will produce more peak boost than the whipple. Either way, whoever wins the battle of power will remain supreme on my car...[sm=shootshoot.gif]

One thing is for sure. I'll know next week what is the absolute most power producing TS combination on the S197...
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD

i look forward to the results, should
be interesting

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Very interesting, cant wait for the results. You are a lucky lucky man you!!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Saleen FTW!!

Sorry Mod, I had to... [sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

So is this whipple 3.4 a new kit for the GT or some custom job?

I'm still interested in that saleen kit that comes with a functional shaker. I havn't heard any more about it in a while. I'm very interested in that one.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Take out the new KB manifold and adapt it to the 3.4 whipple and that should be badass
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

So is this whipple 3.4 a new kit for the GT or some custom job?

I'm still interested in that saleen kit that comes with a functional shaker. I havn't heard any more about it in a while. I'm very interested in that one.
I called and spoke to Saleen about it in like January-ish.. The guy told me there has been no OFFICIAL word on anything yet, but that they were looking at perhaps an April/May release date, and he said to expect the MSRP to be somewhere in the $6500-$6800 range.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

must be great to try each setup on your car first, then pick the better one. if you do go w/ KB and leave the whipple crew, we will have to find another hired gun and assasin.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976
I called and spoke to Saleen about it in like January-ish.. The guy told me there has been no OFFICIAL word on anything yet, but that they were looking at perhaps an April/May release date, and he said to expect the MSRP to be somewhere in the $6500-$6800 range.
Son of a....

I kind of worried that they would take the price of their s/c and add the typical shaker price to it. I was hoping it would be only a few hundred more at the worst, not about 1K more. How that hunk of plastic that makes the shaker scoop is worth ~1K is beyond me.

Hmm, a shiny polished whipple HO would actually be cheaper. Probably similar HP gains I think? Although honestly, I'm only interested in going no higher than 8 psi (well, whatever gives between 350 to 400 rwhp) anyway to stay safe. At the same time, I'm actually interested in the 5-6 psi whipple with no intercooler. I don't plan on making this car a super racer. I'll save that for a secondary project car, not my DD.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't know what I really want. lol.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Very interesting update. The stock whipple upper manifold is the one adam first honed in the beginning for testing that outflows by about 10%.

Adam's finished manfolds (KB and Whiple) actually flow around 2000 cfm and outperform the KB 'mammoth' kits!

Now I'm real interested in the tests but it is looking like the KB will be fighting a losing battle...

As far as the 3.4 kits... ST Motosports is the only place approved by Whipple to offer the kits and pricing will be available next week. He will have pricing for upgrade kits and complete kits for the S197 that I'll post info on next week.

I'm still trying both but it doesn't look good for the KB at this point to have any hope of ruling over the whipple...[&:]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The most powerful TS BLOWER - PERIOD