Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ATTENTION 05-08 WITH 5-SPEED AUTO OWNERS! READ!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Scolagiaco

Default ATTENTION 05-08 WITH 5-SPEED AUTO OWNERS! READ!

I have been tooth and nail with my local dealership and the Ford Motor Co. regarding the 5-speed automatic equipped GT's. When the tranny reaches its operating tempature, 2nd gear will whine/whistle like crazy but then will go away when it goes into 3rd and higher.
Is there anybody out there having the same problem..PLEASE let me know, this can turn into a TSB or recall. I have found 4 complaints about that from other mustang forum sites on the net.
PLEASE speak up if your tranny is doing this!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
SoFlaGT

Default RE: ATTENTION 05-08 WITH 5-SPEED AUTO OWNERS! READ!

No issues here ... my '07 Vert has about 6,600 miles ... don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I have an 06 auto and I too have some weird noises that come from my trans (or it could be the torque conv, i'm not 100% sure) but I think my noises are different than yours.

Here is what mine does:

- After the car has been driven for about 15 or 20 min (basically once it's nice and warmed up) if I'm between about 45mph and 70mph and I let off the gas then apply gas again, I'll hear this swishing sound like "SHH SHH" come from the transmission area. It sounds like someone going SHH to make someone else be quiet ya know? It's so freaking annoying.
- When the car is cold and I'm lightly accelerating, I'll hear the SHH sound but instead of it going SHH SHH, it will be a long constant SSSHHHHHHHHHHH until I let off the gas and re-apply, then it shuts up. But it will do it again later. Sometimes it does this even after it's warmed up, but usually not. Usually it's a cold thing.

I have taken it to ford WELL over a year ago for this problem and they said nothing was wrong with the tranny. They did have to rebuild the rear-end as they said it was making noises.

These noises I hear is half the reason I want to trade it in for a manual one. The other half is I just want to shift my self as it's more fun and stuff. At the same time, I hate getting rid of the car as I really really like it and it truly is my first car since my previous one was not in my name, I didn't pay for it and didn't pay the insurance (parents did, it was actually my mom's car). My memories of when I test drove it, getting in the car for the first time after I bought it and driving it off the lot as well as my first few months with it is very nice. Very good times.

Ah well...thus is life.

EDIT: Round 1 of grammar fixes...ugh.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

No. I don't have that problem. Sowwies.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I have 20k miles on mine with no problems, and I have beat it like a redheaded stepchild.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

no issues and this is the first I've heard about you problem.
could be an isolated problem, so Just keep taking it back until they fix it or if you can, after 30 days in the shop, make them buy it back and start over with a new car.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

lol SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

No issues here...6K on it...
Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Mine has it also and I had it at the dealership as well and was told the same thing. "It's not a known issue that causes any problems" Took an 08 fordrive and it made the same noise. The dealership said if it got any worse to bring it back. Im not happy with it myself, almost makes me want to trade it in for a 5 speed. DONT EVEN START WITH SHOULD HAVE BAUGHT A MANUAL. I dont want to hear your opinion on that

My car is an 07 with 4500 miles on it. The sound is a high pitch whine or whirr while going slow and dissapears when normal cruising speed is reached. It's NOT very loud but noticable
Yes it drives me nuts. I find it very hard to believe that all the other automatic owners on here dont have this issue or they are just listening to their stereos a bit loud to hear it.....IT'S THERE TRUST ME.......
Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Jason0279
1st Gear Member

Hi,
I have this problem as well and I have an 07 GT Auto.My dealer had said it was the center bearing on the drive shaft. They lubricated itand it went away for a little while. When the sound returned they replaced the entire drive shaft. The noise has come back again so maybe it actuallyis something in the trans. Only hear it at low speeds and goes away after about 20-25 mph, and it doesn't happen all the time.

I'd love to get rid of the sound, it's really annoying.

- Jason

Quick Reply: ATTENTION 05-08 WITH 5-SPEED AUTO OWNERS! READ!