Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wait Times on 2005 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 AM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wait Times on 2005 Mustang GT

It took less than a week between the time I bought it until I picked it up. But I cheated[8D] I just searched dealer inventories by zip codes in my state and found one exactly like I wanted. I went there to test drive it (I had already test drove a torch red one) and found out it was actually still being built, bought it that night and it was delivered less than a week later. It wasn't that hard for me because I would have taken any color except torch red, yellow or white, all others were game.

It was well worth the wait
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Ordered my GT April 5. At the time of my order, my dealer could not even garantee that I would get the car at all so I was worried and started checking dealers lots to see what I could find. April 7 my dealer got a "dealer order receipt aknowledgement" with a partial VIN. My dealer told me this means that the order has been accepted and all they are waiting for is a final date for delivery. I hope he's telling the truth. So far he's been very good about providng me with all sorts of information that I have aksed for. He even managed to come up with some very detailed technical info from Ford on how the variable cam timing works.
At any rate, the dealer thinks I'll get the car in late June. The wait is going to be difficult but from what I've heard worth it.
Yes Ford got your order and it is in the system, but it can be in the system for a long time. The partial serial number is the first 10 digits of your VIN. That is comprised of the manufacturer, year of car, model, engine, color etc. That is the easy part, the hard part is getting those last six digits that make up the sequence number. Once the car is to be scheduled for build, it will be assigned a sequence number. Once you get that, you know the car will be built.

I have had an order in since November 17th and still is clean and unscheduled. It has a partial VIN since they recieved my order. Got tired of waiting so I went to another dealer on March 23rd and ordered one with the same options and color. That car has a partial VIN. So now I have 2 cars out there with partial VIN numbers. Hopefully I can at least get one of those real soon.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Ordered mine 2/25.. Clean/unscheduled. At least I am only getting charged sticker price..
Old 04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I ordered my Stang on March 1st.

Obviously, I don’t have my car yet so I can’t state facts… can only say how things are going at this time.

I emailed my Sales Rep this morning to get a status update.

He emailed me back to tell me that there are 2 Mustang Orders in front of mine at his dealership.

They are expecting 2 Mustangs to arrive at his dealership this month and 4 more within the next to months, but they do not have next months scheduling confirmations from Ford. He told me the 2 Mustangs they are expecting this month are about a month later then they initially expected.

If he what he says is true, then my car should arrive sometime in June or July which would make for a 14 week to 16 week wait for me from the time I ordered.

There are so many parameters effecting order receipts it is unbelievable. You would almost thing the Government got involved in the process! (ha ha). As a buyer, it is PURE luck ( or a LOT of research.) to be with a dealership that can easily and quickly get your car. MOST of the dealers are having a hard time getting them. THEN, you have to weigh YOUR car in with the orders the dealership places for their Lot cars. Of course EVERY dealership is going to prioritize their own lot cars ahead of yours because they can make more profit right now on the cars from their lot. They can’t sell what they don’t have on their lot. YOUR car is sold so they aren’t worried about getting it in because you WILL wait. People who won’t order a car will shop for a car wanting it NOW. If those people walk onto the lot looking for one, and the dealer has none, they will walk away is a lost sale - then find a dealership with cars in stock and buy from them.

In a conversation with my Rep on Friday, he said even the dealerships are not getting clear, accurate information from Ford on deliveries of the Mustang… as well on the F150 Lightning truck which is also a HOT product for Ford right now. He told me that his dealership WILL put current 05 orders who get canceled by ford and then want to wait for the 06 - on the TOP of the 06 Order List when Ford starts accepting them.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
First GT

Ordered mine end of February, it was delivered 4/6. About 6 week wait.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:44 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

When Ford recieves the orders from the dealers, they are indicated if they are stock (dealer lot stock) or retail (already sold). They are then supposed to process the retail orders first before the stock orders based upon their allocations. For example: If a dealer orders 10 Mustangs in a month and that is his allocation for the month, he has a precentage of the different models. If his allocation is 10 a month, then maybe his GT allocation is 4 for the month. Out of those 4, they may have an allocation of 1 vert and 3 coupes.

Ford also has a regional allocation. For the St. Louis/KC region, they are allocated 1942 Mustangs per month. I don't know the breakup percentages for this but all the regions dealers participates in this. Larger volume dealers are going to have a higher priority over medium and small volume dealers.

That is why when I went to my home town small dealer, that order is still clean and unscheduled. So far, that order has been in the process for almost 21 weeks now. On 3/23 I went to a larger volume dealer and placed another order and that one is still clean and unscheduled for far. I am hoping that they will get a VIN in the next week or two.

I hope they do but I will let you know.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:19 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your knowlege guys. Does anyone know if It is better to order a 2005 and wait, or order a 2006 and get in the front of the order line for 2006? Which way would be quiker and when do you think I will be able to order a 2006? Are there any changes to 2006 Mustang GTs?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BradInFl

Thanks for your knowlege guys. Does anyone know if It is better to order a 2005 and wait, or order a 2006 and get in the front of the order line for 2006? Which way would be quiker and when do you think I will be able to order a 2006? Are there any changes to 2006 Mustang GTs?
If you are able to find a dealer with allocation and is willing to take the order, you can order it now and get it by the end of July or August....maybe. Since you have waited this long, I would wait until they are taking orders for the 06 models. I hear there are going to be some color changes and that most all the problems that have come up in the 05 model should be resolved in the 06 model.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:01 PM
gotan05
1st Gear Member

I ordered Mar 5, got a build date Apr 25, Deliv May 16, so if all goes well 10 weeks
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
brainhud

ordered mine late december. picked it up yesterday, apr 19. well worth the wait. what i'm hearing now is, if a new is put in now, you will be lucky to get an 05 model unless you find one that was ordered and canceled or just pure luck.

Quick Reply: Wait Times on 2005 Mustang GT