Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Longtubes, Cure for Trumpeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Longtubes, Cure for Trumpeting

ORIGINAL: white07

I think LTs make a difference. Everyone complains about flows with an o/r x-pipe but for me it sounds fine. I on the other hand have LTs to go with my o/r x-pipe and flows.
THanks white, glad I'm not going crazy. I knew I heard that info somewhere. What is your basis? What experiences have you had with LT's making a difference with trumpeting?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I will chime in here, I found a small piece of my passenger side catalytic converterin my axleback muffler a few months ago !!! lol

The cats are a big part of the trumpeting, also I think it because of all the connections as opposed to one single piece of tubing(manifold/header to cat, cat to H pipe, H pipe to catback , etc....)

I got SLPs, was wondering if I could get any universal hi flo cat, like Pypes or something, $100 for a 2.5 " pair, SLP wants $100 a piece for more of their crappy CATs. Anybody have a catted X-pipe wet-up but with a different brand of CATs?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Larmo

ORIGINAL: white07

I think LTs make a difference. Everyone complains about flows with an o/r x-pipe but for me it sounds fine. I on the other hand have LTs to go with my o/r x-pipe and flows.
THanks white, glad I'm not going crazy. I knew I heard that info somewhere. What is your basis? What experiences have you had with LT's making a difference with trumpeting?
I went from pypes o/r h to ARH with o/r h ...........nothing changed in the way of trumpeting....its still there at the same RPMs The LTs didnt make any difference
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

My blower doubled the decibal level of my exhaust..It's probably too loud now. Will post sound clips soon
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Blue mine did too....I love it! J
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

It's weird though.. My setup is obnoxious [8D]
Old 03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Luvmystang

I'm a newbie in Mustang Forums and have rarely responded because I have felt I couldn't ada any wisdom into the conversations but I have to mention my experience here.. I drove to New York this past fall and had American Racing Headers install their Long Tube headers with their Hpipe with high flow cats. The car had Corsa mufflers on it when they installed the Long Tubes and H with cats. I couldn't beleive how bad the trumpeting was. It was unbearable for me. From there, I drove 10 miles to Mustang Magic to get it tuned and at the same time I purchased some Ford Racing mufflers hopefully to quiet it down.. The Ford Racing mufflers did nothing to quiet the trumpeting down.

I actually found the resolution somewhere in here. I'm drawing a blank who posted the note. Anyways. I bout 2 18" Vibrant resonators and had them welded in the long pipe after the H pipe... Wola>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> NO MORE TRUMPETING and I absolutely love the sound now... Put the Corsa's back on too... but I just took them off today, to get my sticker and they are going back on tommorrow am.. lol

The High flow cats caused the trumpeting from what I read and was told. Supposedly the older stangs, because of the mufflers being in the middle of the car didn't suffer from this issue when high flow cats were installed. Of course, I asked ARH if they ever heard about a trumpeting issue before I drove up there, bought their system and had them install the system and they told me no.. but he knew about it when I called him when I got home from New York and was disappointed. What's up with that ?

Resonators all the way on the new stangs....

Mark
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

thats why i keep telling people the pypes mid muffler helps with the trumpeting, it acts like resonators!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

thats why i keep telling people the pypes mid muffler helps with the trumpeting, it acts like resonators!
I wish I agreed with you, bro...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
CobraDriver99

I ran BBK long tubes on my 99 cobra, i never had a trumpeting problem. Ran an off road H-pipe and Borlas.

Its a loud setup but I was told by a friends, It sounds like the devil himself was coming out of my exhaust. Oh and 3 ft flames too.

It was a pretty sexy sound.

Quick Reply: Longtubes, Cure for Trumpeting