Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me decide which x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help me decide which x-pipe?

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

^^ when keeping the stock cats, like the Pypes and FRPP do, you probably won't even notice a difference in sound or performance by simply changing out the h cross-over to an x
+1 The crimp in the factory midpipe before the cats, as well as the cats themselves are the main restriction in the stock exhaust. So a splice in probably won't do much of anything.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I heard a clanking in the muffler, took it off and shook it, a piece of the ceramic substrate fell out, called SLP and they said if there are any scrapes or dents on the CATs they won't warranty them, they hang pretty low and first time I went over a speed bump, scrape !!! lol Not sure if thats what caused it, what else could happen to it !!! They should warranty that stuff but oh well ( i got the catted X-pipe for $199 !!!), I have had them for a year or so now, the Pypes CATs seem to me more streamline so I will go with those to replace at some point.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Don't keep your stock cats its a waste. Either go with a o/r pipe or if you are to worried about emission then get a high flow catted one from either slp or bassani. You will notice power and better sound with the slp and bassani.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Anyone have any experience with the Magnaflow catted x-pipe?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
BoxDude

I have a catted SLP X and the passenger side cat broke as well. Just started as a rattle that went off and on randomly. Closer inspection showed it was coming from the cat. It stopped rattling a while back, but I swear my exhaust sounds a bit different now. There's also some slight scraping on it, and the modular joints were welded in place, so no warranty for me
Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys.

With all the reports about the SLP Cats breaking/rattlingI think I'mafraid to install cheap aftermarket cats. Nothing bothers me more than modding my car with parts that turn out to be cheap and cause problems. Feels like I'm degrading my car not improving it when that happens [:@]But I would like to increase the performance as much as possible while still remaining emissions legal.

I have heard the FRPP X-pipe with FRPP GTA axel backs on the exhaust-sound-thread and they do sound different from the stock H-pipe, someone had clips of them back to back. So I know the FRPP X-pipe will make a difference in sound, but not for sure about power?

I thought I read some post about Pypes X-pipe having fitment issues? Anyone know about that? If not, I would jump on the Pypes emissions legal splice in X-pipe for $89.00 from Brenspeed. I like dealing with those guys and I would save a few bucks too. Anyone know about the quality?

I was also interested in the Magnaflow Catted X-pipe as was mentioned by NJ3, I wonder if they have problems with their cats? Their x-pipe places the cats in the exact same position as the stock cats, so I don't know if there would be any power increase with it or not? Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Well, I just read a couple of post that described horror stories about how bad the Pypes splice in X-pipe fits, so that one is out. Although, I did read that the FRPP splice in X-pipe fit perfectly so that one is looking better and better.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

I've bought a lot of Pypes products, and while the overall quality of the mufflers or Pypes was at least decent, they've all had extreme fitment problems. I'm not knocking Pypes, but their products are definately on the budget side of quality.

IMO if you're going with a splice in x, you're spending a decent amount of money for not much of any results in performance.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

The FRPP splice in X-pipe is $139.00 and I can install it myself. Probably not much power, but it does sound nice :-)
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

I am going with the bassani x pipe w/ high flow cats and jba mufflers. They are the best sounding combo I have found in my search.

Here's a link to a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk1nGLSAFk

Quick Reply: Help me decide which x-pipe?