Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

? to those with Steeda CAI & Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:07 AM
cmenders
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ? to those with Steeda CAI & Diablo

This is what I sent to Steeda on 4/7:

As a result of the poor performance (referring to the Steeda CAI tune) I have loaded the Performance Tune with the timing advanced 3 degrees (4 resulted in a little pinging) and the WOT running 1% rich in both ranges (got check engine light for too lean without this). I have also lowered all the fan settings by 30 degrees. With these settings power seems great and no apparent weaknesses through the gears.

I did not necessarily ask for a reply though. Kinda of my fault. [:@]

I will send another message asking if they have any ideas.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have not had the time today, but tomorrow night I am going to try your suggestions to a custom tune and see what difference it makes.
This is my first real dealings with Steeda. Do not want to jump the gun, but their customer service after the sale seems to be a bit lackluster compaired to their service prior to the sale.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:36 AM
cmenders
1st Gear Member

Just an FYI, the custom tune that I have created works fine with the 87 octane I am using here in California. If you are running higher octane you can try going a full +4 on the timing. If you do get some pinging just pull it back a little.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

my steeda would not stay on every time i opened the hood it was always either off or partially off. didn't matter how tight i put the clamp on there it would just come off. so using my air craft crew chief skills i put a plastic adhesive around the ring and the lip of the air cleaner. that B*%$# isn't coming off now.
ORIGINAL: hawgman

I did notice tonight that my air cleaner had partially slipped off of the retaining ring. I put it back on, tightened it some more, and it popped right back off. Just another tidbit in the saga
Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I broke out a can of carb cleaner and a couple of paper towels and wiped down the inside ring of the air cleaner and the ring it mounts to. Stayed on all day so far...... Of course that could change at any time.

Finally got in touch with someone at Steeda today besides the guy that answers the phone after everyone else has left ... ok, well actually it sounded like the same guy. But anyway. I explained the way the car was running. He said basically just go in and adjust the tune by 10% ( which according to him will make a 2 degree timing advance ). Retune it, drive it, if that doesn't fix it, do it again. And just keep going until I feel it is performing better. Not the most professional advice I have heard, but it was better than what the guy there said yesterday. I asked if I should do it for the entire RPM range or just up to about 3500. He said "Oh either way, shouldn't hurt the top end. And if it does then just turn it back ".... I'm thinking I need his job.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
cmenders
1st Gear Member

Since we are having what appears to be the same issues (NO power below the 4,000 RPM mark) I would try pulling the timing back for that range only. I do recall that when I was using their tune, performance improved the higher the RPM's climbed.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Pulling it back or advancing it? I was under the impression from your other post, and from Steeda that I should be advancing it
Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 PM
cmenders
1st Gear Member

The CAI Tune that Steeda sends with the Diablo advances the timing by 4 degrees from the stock tune. With the Diablo you cannot go beyond this as 4 is the max advance unless you use the range selectable percentages. Maybe that is why he told you to go 10% and not a number, hmmmm?

I would think that going beyond the 4 would not improve things but I am NOT an expert. I would expect that you may start to get some pinging actually. Are you running the 93 octane that this tune is designed for?

Give it a try with 10% advance and see what happens. If it runs better great. If not, try the 10% pull back. I would try it tonight too but I am kinda tied up. Soonest I can play with my tune is tomorrow at lunch.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well, I just increased the spark 10% ( maxed out ) on the 2k to 4k range. Made a little difference, but not much.
Might try your route and use the diablo performance tune and see how that works out.

And yup, running 93 octaine
Old 04-14-2005, 09:20 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well, it's not just the three of us having this issue. Found someone over on the mustang source forum board complaining about the same issue.

Just curious, what are you guy's CALLID? Wonder if that might have something to do with it since no one else has chimed in on the issue.

mine is FBJR3G5

BTW, I tried the Diablo 91 octaine performance tune, adjusted the WTO by 1%, adjusted the 2k - 4k range by 4. It runs like a new car on the low end now. In my opinion it does not pull as hard as it used to on the top end. More like driving it stock.

Quick Reply: ? to those with Steeda CAI & Diablo