Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ABOUT TO ORDER HEADERS- QUICK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ABOUT TO ORDER HEADERS- QUICK QUESTION

For that price theyare just stainless steel. I paid $539.00shipped (an additional $190.00) for my Silver Ceramic's from the same place.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I think im just gonna try out the mrt catted h because I know how great it was on the previous mustang. Or I might just get the mrt cats and have them welded into my offroad legs. Since my stocks cats are welded to my prochamber will I be able to reuse the stock catted legs. Mrt say their cats are 3.5 and i think my offroad prochamber legs are 3, would that work? What would be my best route?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

The JBA's I got on E-Bay were Stainless Steel...not coated.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

BUMP

ORIGINAL: SONICBOOST3

I think im just gonna try out the mrt catted h because I know how great it was on the previous mustang. Or I might just get the mrt cats and have them welded into my offroad legs. Since my stocks cats are welded to my prochamber will I be able to reuse the stock catted legs. Mrt say their cats are 3.5 and i think my offroad prochamber legs are 3, would that work? What would be my best route?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

Yes, they are cast iron, therefore they retain the heat much better.
So will ceramic coated shorties cause more heat in the engine compartment than stock or less?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Ceramic-coated headers will create more heat than stock cast iron manifolds, but alot less heat than stainless steal.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

So I'll be the flamee here. If "uncoated" stainless headers are so horrible, why does an "exhaust company" like JBA sell them. Don't say "to compete" because their header prices initially were very high relative to the competitors. What is the real temp difference that would soak up to the CAI.
I'm sorry but all this ceramic coating stuff seems to be hype without witout some impartial tests.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

It's not that they are Horrible. Guys who like to quote underhood temps and things are really just reguritating things they have heard from guys who are die hard racers, where 3 horsepower, 4 ft/lbsof torqueor 2 pounds of weight loss can actually mean something and will spend $1000's to get it. To average guys who play with their cars, the difference is really negligable. I have uncoated shorties, and the difference in temp to the underhood area from the stockers was 15 degrees air temp at like 4 inches, 4 degree's on my heads, a little more than 1 degree on my intake manifold, and no change on the air the intake was taking in.

Where the real difference in ceramic vs stainless vs cast iron is in exhaust flow. The more heat you keep in the exhaust, the faster the gasses stay moving, which means less backpressure. Again, the difference to the average guy will not be seen. You are talking maybe 2 or 3 horse difference.

As a general rule of thumb, Cast iron will always hold the most heat in. Next would be cermaic coated steel, cermaic coated Aluminum, Stainless and then Aluminum. More heat being held in = more horsepower. The reason you see Aluminum being used (in blocks and heads), is because the loss in power is offset by the loss of weight. In the case of headers, the increase in power comes from increased flow, better scavenging, and ease of manufacture.