Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who has a K&N intake with a custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

Default Who has a K&N intake with a custom tune?

I currently have a K&N intake kit and I'm thinking about getting a Bama tune for it for my 5spd GT. Who else has had a K&N intake and then added a custom tune to it? Did you notice a big improvement from the stock tune with the K&N? I realize the K&N doesn't put down quite the numbers as a C&L/JLT etc, but I'd like to keep it at this point and was wondering if I'll notice a signifigant improvement over the stock tune. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Who has a K&N intake with a custom tune?

talk to taco bill
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

My first CAI was a K&N and my car ran like crap. After about 2 weeks running like that I had it dynotuned and it made a world of difference. I put down 283 RWHP with just the CAI and Borla stingers on 87 octane gas. The ARH longtubes put down 300 RWHP with the same set up. I'll be adding Steeda billet delete plates and I've already put on a C&L CAI so I'll be having another dynotune done soon.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

My first CAI was a K&N and my car ran like crap. After about 2 weeks running like that I had it dynotuned and it made a world of difference. I put down 283 RWHP with just the CAI and Borla stingers on 87 octane gas. The ARH longtubes put down 300 RWHP with the same set up. I'll be adding Steeda billet delete plates and I've already put on a C&L CAI so I'll be having another dynotune done soon.
Interesting to know. Personally I have magnaflows and a K&N intake, and the car runs great! How come yours didn't? Anyone else had the same setup?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM
CDT_Larry_J

The only thing I've done to mine is add a K&N CAI and it runs great, I noticed a difference right away in sound and power. I'veseen a few people in this forum critizeK&N, dunno guess I'm lucky.I was lookinginto buying aSCT tuner so I couldtuneit as I pleased.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have the K&N "Aircharger" and a Brenspeed tune. Sweet, car runs very strong.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

That's what I have as well....did you have it before you got the brenspeed tune?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponypit

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

That's what I have as well....did you have it before you got the brenspeed tune?
YES
Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I bought the K&N CAI because I wanted to avoid buying a tuner. They advertized it as not needing one. That's why mine didn't run as good as it could have. Once I had it dynotuned it ran great and I had no complaints. I changed to a C&L unit because I got a buy I couldn't pass up and I knew there was a little more power to be had.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I'm just running the K&N for poweradders right now, and I dunno why everyone says they're so so, I felt a seat of the pants difference right off, and when I get the SCT with a tune, Bama, Brenspeed or VMP, haven't decided yet, I have no doubts I'll be quite happy with it. Just get what you would like, don't listen tot he hype. I'm sure the C&L gives you some extra horses, but whats an extra 5 horses? Unless you're takin' it to the strip, no biggy... plus I like the sound of the K&N

Quick Reply: Who has a K&N intake with a custom tune?