Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone Good With Battery Isolators or Elecrical

Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Alloy07GT08

Default Anyone Good With Battery Isolators or Elecrical

Started hooking everything up last night to run my 2 yellow tops...

Followed the directions from cole hersee for the isolator...pretty straight forward. Remove alt cable from battery 1, put on alt bolt of isolator...i ran 4g cable from the bat 1 post on the iso back to battery one and secured it where the alt able was...then ran 0g from bat 2 post on the iso to the trunk optima...grounded bat 2

When I made all the connections and started her up...Battery 2 was not getting any current. The alt cable was showing .1 V and battery 1 was showing normal.I am guessing there is an issue with all the stock wires left on the bat1 + post???I seemed like the car was just running off the battery...my voltmeter just kept dropping, charging system light came on ect...

I shut her off and puteverything back tostock for bat 1 and shes runningfine.I have never used a battery isolator before, but everyone says the 3 post's (bat1, alt, bat2) are simple...WHAT AM I MISSING?!? lol trying to have this done this weekend :-/

Thanks in advance guys
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone Good With Battery Isolators or Elecrical

have you tried leaving battery #2 off
of the isolator, to see how the
system runs

Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Alloy07GT08

I didnt :-/ I got everything hooked up right as the sun went down and when the car seemed like it was just running the main battery down, with no power to the back I thought something has been hooked up wrong and changed it back...

Since I got 13voff the batt oneiso post and nothing off the alternator post I figured that it was just showing what was coming off the battery...Should Inot have ran a 4g wire from the bat 1 postback to the battery?

I think everything washooked up fine except the postive battery terminal on battery 1 was tripping me up...As I said all I did was take the alternatorcable off and put it on the ISO then made a 4g wire with two ring terminals and went from ISO batt one back thethe postive terminal on battery 1 where the alt cable had been...I left the other wires that were on the + terminal alone...one running to the fuse box and I am guessing the other one went to the starter?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Alloy07GT08

Looking around....should I have taken everything off the + batt 1 terminal and put it on the alternator bolt on the ISO? Then just ran a wire from batt 1 iso post back to the battery?

Sorry just spinning my wheels on something I've never done before lol
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well i was just about to write my disclaimer

don't do this!

ok having said that.....

yes, that's exactly what i would do....i believe the
problem is with the voltage sensing circuit of the
alternator.....it's on the wrong side of the diode
in your present config.....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Alloy07GT08

Alright so I rigged another piece of 4g wire as a test before I hacked off the end of the stockpositive terminal...Took it off the main battery screwed down this new piece of wire and attached the other endto the alt iso post. Then hooked up the other 4g wire from thebat 1 iso post to the postive on the battery....Nothing....no power to the car even...went to start her up and realized I couldnt even open the door lol [&:]

So...Moving on...Inthat stock bundle of + terminal wires I have the separate alt cable...then two others taped together, one to the fuse box and one to the underside of the car...

Do you or anyone elseknow the right combo of wires to put to the alt post and batt 1 post on the iso? I am getting so fed up with it lol [:@]
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'll see if i can map this
out

Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Alloy07GT08

Thanks for your continued efforts, I will check back periodically...Gotta spend some time with the GF lol...Shes gets a little upset when I spend more of my weekend with the car than her.

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well i think we got it.

i think your original configuration was perfect
except for the voltage sensing wire (yellow).

here's the install instructions....
http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/IFs/IF-128_Bat%20iso.pdf

we need that adapter that sits near the alternator
connector! the yellow wire lead would then go
to either iso #1 or the + side of bat 1.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alloy07GT08

Thanks for your continued efforts, I will check back periodically...Gotta spend some time with the GF lol...Shes gets a little upset when I spend more of my weekend with the car than her.

Thanks again.

hammy can be very helpful when he feels like it [8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Good With Battery Isolators or Elecrical