Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.10s and a supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Brain
1st Gear Member

Default 4.10s and a supercharger?

After my GT comes in (manual tranny), I'll be getting a supercharger hopefully within 6 months or so. Until then, I'd like to get some new gears and the Diablo Predator. Will 4.10s work well with the supercharger? Will they be too much, should I go for 3.73 instead? Other than the supercharger, the only other mods I plan are gears and the Predator.

Since my GT is on order, does anyone know if they'll install a different rear end from the factory? If so, would that be a good way to go?

Sorry for all the questions. Any thoughts and assistance are appreciated.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:06 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10s and a supercharger?

From what I've read on this forum, people say that the 4.10's are a bit much WITH the supercharger. Without the S/C a lot of people say the 4.10's are the way to go. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:09 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Birdieman is the main person to ask this question, but from what he has explained to me is that the stock 3.55 gears in the manual are a good solid gear for the sc. As for the Predator, depending on the sc, you get that as part of the package. The ones that include it are the Paxton and Vortech, which are centrifugal sc's.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Run the stock 3.55's with the blower for a while before you decide to go shorter on the gears. The last thing you want to do is do the blower and the short gears all at once, then decide later you wanted 3.73's or 3.55's. MDValdosta runs 4.10 gears with a vortech, and he likes it. I would say you are better off with 4.10's on a centrifugally supercharged car than on a positive displacment supercharged car. (twin screw). Mostly because of the low end torque the screw produces. If you are making 350 ft lbs of torque at 2700 rpms, you don't need shorter gears to help you 'get through' your rpm range.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Brain
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot! I'll almost certainly go with a twin screw (considering the Whipple), so I guess I'll stick with the stock gears for a while. I know the Whipple come with a custom flash or some such, but I don't think it comes with a Predator or anything similar. Might get a body kit which would go on before the blower and wanted to make sure there was a little more "go" to back up my "show", but don't want to to pulleys or anything; the SC will be enough when it gets on. Sounds like the Predator will have to do until then. Any comments about the Whipple or anything else? Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

header pipes should help get rid off all the extra gasses spent after all that air and gas gets forced down your stangs throat and some applicatins make a big improvement over stock set up specially if you get a big power adder like a S/C.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:19 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

The Whipple is out and is $5495 for the regular and $6095 for the polished version. Whipplesuperchargers.com

As for another twin screw, the Saleen Series VI comes highly recommended (Birdieman) and retails for $4999, but is available on e-bay presently for $4599. Shipping runs $85-$100 to San Diego, so I am sure that it will not be any more to where you are now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 04-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Brain
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GWFoos

Hope this helps.
It sure does. Thanks. I'll put the Saleen on my "to think about" list. It's all academic until the car comes in anyway.

The Saleen advertises 400hp and 420 lbs of torque, where the Whipple site says "nearly 475HP and over 500 lbs of torque". I'd rather have the higher numbers , but could the same be had from the Saleen by changing the boost (and how easy...)? Also, Whipple's dyno graph starts at 3k RPM, is that the earliest I could expect to see the extra power, and is that the typical low end on a twin screw? Would prefer to see gains closer to idle, but I don't know much about this stuff (yet).
Old 04-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The Saleen advertises 400hp and 420 lbs of torque, where the Whipple site says "nearly 475HP and over 500 lbs of torque". I'd rather have the higher numbers , but could the same be had from the Saleen by changing the boost (and how easy...)? Also, Whipple's dyno graph starts at 3k RPM, is that the earliest I could expect to see the extra power, and is that the typical low end on a twin screw? Would prefer to see gains closer to idle, but I don't know much about this stuff (yet).
As much or more is avalible from the Saleen blower. The 400 hp S281sc is making 5 lbs of boost. If you run 8 psi on a screw blower, you will se instant boost at the hit, even at 2000 rpms. Your torque will go straight up, literally. It is actually quite impressive. If you want power at the hit of the throttle, regardless of rpm, go twin screw. The biggest reason I like the Saleen series 6 blower is it utilizes a dual heat exchanger(intercooler) system, which makes it extremely efficient.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:26 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

As much or more is avalible from the Saleen blower. The 400 hp S281sc is making 5 lbs of boost. If you run 8 psi on a screw blower, you will se instant boost at the hit, even at 2000 rpms. Your torque will go straight up, literally. It is actually quite impressive. If you want power at the hit of the throttle, regardless of rpm, go twin screw. The biggest reason I like the Saleen series 6 blower is it utilizes a dual heat exchanger(intercooler) system, which makes it extremely efficient.
I was looking at that S/C on ebay. It mentioned that there was no warranty with it. I'm assuming they mean no warranty only through them. I'm guessing that there is a factory warranty. Do you know what it is Birdieman?

Quick Reply: 4.10s and a supercharger?